• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Another XJ6 Added to the Collection

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Bought an '87 XJ6 today - 38,000 original miles, Arctic Blue with Biscuit interior - even has the original dealer's window sticker!...in excellent shape except for a few minor nit-noid items; never wrecked, no body damage or repairs ever, interior perfect, garage kept its entire life....Jerri drove it the 2 hour trip home & immediately declared it "hers"! & now she wants to enter it in the upcoming Nashville Car Show!

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Congratulations Tony! Sorry the wife has claimed it, though. Good find you lucky dog, can never find like that around here. Well, 2 Jags! Getting hooked on the ride and feel? That's how it gets started, then the MGs start dwindling and the Jags increase, but the downside is the Jags take up twice the space. Glad you are enjoying the Jags.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yer butt's gettin' SOFT, Colonel. :devilgrin:

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There was a time when I found cars like Jack does now - or they found me....as I've gotten older, I've become more discerning & actually leave a whole bunch of cars sitting with their old owner.

I even told a guy in St Louis about this car hoping he'd get interested because I knew I'd buy it if it was still around when I went up to Brentwood, TN!

198686d

Jedi Trainee
Yes, you did tell me about this car. Just not quite ready to pull the triger yet. Still learning about Jaguars. I know one thing, your advice is certainly solid, since you took it yourself.

dave from st. Louis

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep, Dave, that was you...I was hoping somebody else would buy it because I knew from talking with the owner that I was seriously interested...Jerri's always wanting to drive my '85 XJ6 & every time I go to get in it, it & she are gone & her Mercedes is still sitting in the drive....at least this way she has her own! & she says she's entering it in the Nashville car show in October - her 1st show! So, I've gotta detail it <span style="text-decoration: line-through">with</span> for her.

Just put it on my insurance policy....added $198 every 6 months for full coverage....also went by gas station; Jerri used 3 gallons from the right tank for the 110 mile trip home @ 60mph...WHOA!!! 36 mpg first trip out...original window sticker says 16 to 22 mpg on highway!

This car cost $39,296.00 in 1987 plus the $850 "gas guzzler tax" charged by the IRS back then!!

Country flag
It is a man of integrity who puts his money where his mouth is.... :smile:

Dave, don't be too afraid to pull the trigger. Sometimes you just gotta jump in feet first, even when you the temperature and depth of the water. The good news is there are a BUNCH of people here who you can reach out to if the water is not quite what you expected.

Someone very recently posted about being offered a shiny new toy truck and missing out on it because he thought too much about it. Don't get a case of analysis paralysis when you find your shiny new toy truck - or Jaguar in this case. Good luck in your search! The car you are looking for will find you. And sometimes (often for me) the thing you are looking for will find you the moment you stop looking. :smile: I wasn't looking for my Jag, or my S.O. for that matter! LoL

198686d

Jedi Trainee
Tony: I am getting my Jaguar. When I'm ready, you will be the 1st person I congtact for ideas, suggestions, etc. Bought my BE in Nashville...went there twice to drive cars. It would be kismet to get my Jag there too.

all the best,

dave in st. louis

198686d

Jedi Trainee
Peter:

Certainly life your choice of cars.....and your advice is quite helpful. I'll be reading it several times over the next week or so.

I know you're right, of course.

thanks,

dave in st louis

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Tony,
Sounds beautiful! And that mileage, what a find... Congrats! When will you post some pics of the beauty?
Brian :thumbsup:

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Here's a couple:

bluejag01.jpg

bluejag03.jpg

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Tony,
That is absolutely gorgeous! Your pics look like they were pulled from a factory brochure. Congratulations!
Brian

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Thanks - we took 1st place in class (against 7 other XJ6's & a Daimler XJ40) Saturday at the Nashville club's show in Franklin, TN!!

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No, it was one of the early 90's Daimler sedans.