• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A An unexpected surprise

vickxxx

I picked up this TR3A about 3 weeks ago. It had been stored in a warehouse here in Hawaii for a while before I got to it. I was lucky. It just needed new brake hoses and slave clutch to get it back on the road. I have rebuilt the leaky carbs and replaced throttle shafts, new wires and plugs, and now the engine purrs nicely. The speedo was inop. There was a short speedo cable attached to the head that barely made it out the bulk head and just hung there. Thank heavens BCF was here. I would never have found the speedo drive if it wasn't for the forums. And what to my surprise, I have an overdrive unit in this car!!! I don't think the PO knew this either or he just neglected to tell me about it. I had to replace the broken switch, trace thru completely faded wires on the relay, to the starter button to the ammeter, solenoid, and the isolation switches (the existing wiring was hooked up incorrectly) before I could finally test the system. I replaced the relay with a Bosch relay I had laying around, turned on the ignition, flipped the OD switch and everything clicked like it is supposed to. Took it for a cruise and what a pleasure. It really takes the strain off the engine. All this because I was looking for the right size speedo cable. Amazing.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Driving a TR is great, flipping the switch on the OD is a thrill. Driving a new TR w/ OD, orgasmic. Good for you, enjoy.

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Congratulation. TR3s are great cars. Glad you are back on the road. You don't mention tires, and if the car gas been stored for some time, they may need replacing even if the tread looks decent. Worth checking them carefully before any prolonged driving. Cheers, Mike

OP
vickxxx

vickxxx

Congratulation. TR3s are great cars. Glad you are back on the road. You don't mention tires, and if the car gas been stored for some time, they may need replacing even if the tread looks decent. Worth checking them carefully before any prolonged driving. Cheers, Mike

Thanx for the tip Mike. I've been sorting out the brakes, ignition, carbs, fluids and through all the excitement I totally neglected the basic....tires. The front tires match each other and the rear tires match each other but the front and rears are 2 different brands. Still with lots of tread, but I don't know how long the car has been sitting and I do prefer having matching tires all around. Now I just have to find a guy on my island that can change tires on spoked rims :smile:

rooster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
If there is no date code on the tires they should be replaced. Tires deteriorate with age, and get harder to the point that they don't wear the tread. So even if the tread looks good, if they are more than a few years old they should get replaced. Manufactures recommend every 6 to 10 years depending on the tire etc. for tire life.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I don't think you need overdrive on an island. Better send it to me.

Yes, do get new tires. I'd look for a small individually-owned tire shop that's looks like it's been around awhile. With luck you'll find a guy who can sit on the floor with a couple of tire spoons and change them out for you.

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Aloha vickxxx. I used to do that too, back in the day. Later I would mount it in the base auto hobby shop tire changing machine and do it by hand with their tire irons. You probably have to use an inner tube, so don't pinch it or punch a hole in it during mounting. (Ask me how I know). Check for loose spokes.

Hey, I'm on Oahu with a TR6 (TR3A in mainland storage). There are a few folks with sidescreen TRs over here too.

Jeff

OP
vickxxx

vickxxx

Thanx for all the fun tips. I may have found 1 guy on the island that has the tools to do it. If it doesn't work out I'll either buy the spoons and a bubble balancer or send them off to Oahu (that is, if there is a tire shop there that can handle tubes and wire wheels). :smile: