• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

alternative radiator

Country flag
Before I reinvent the wheel, I thought I would ask here first.
I want more clearance in front of my crank pulley to make for easier placement of an EDIS trigger wheel and sensor. Additionally, I want to use an electric fan. So... how easy would it be to position a radiator farther forward, and what radiator could I use to get better cooling. Yes, the stock raditor is working fine, but I eventually intend on increasing the boost on the supercharger, and I'd like to already have the extra cooling capacity in place. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Which year Midget do you have?

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
Sorry, it is a 1970 Midget.

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
Trevor,

I just picked up a 1275 car that has the cowl removed from the front of the radiator and a 1500 radiator moved forward to the cowl location with new mounts. To do this the stock vertical supports that hold the cowl and radiator had to be cut down, the right hand radiator hose was relocated to the top of the 1500 radiator and connected to a older style thermostat housing that points to the right. The left hand hose on the radiator (lower) is connected to the water pump. This gives lots of room between the engine and radiator, but it is a very permanent change. I don’t know if it would be a good fit for a street car, but it can be done. It may be easier to install an electric pusher fan in front of the stock radiator and remove the stock belt drive fan.

Chris

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
Thanks. I do not mind hacking on the car. It is bodged together from several wrecks. I want a puller fan, because I think they are more efficient (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Fabricating new supports and such is no problem, I'm just looking for something with appropriate dimensions and easy hose routing.

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
I think the rule of thumb is that a pusher is 80% as efficient as a puller, but you really need to compare it to stock, and since there is no shroud around the stock fan I would say that a properly sized pusher may work. The trouble may be getting it to fit in the cowl. If you want pictures of the radiator let me know. The engine is out of the car now, but I think you would be able to see what was done.

Chris

jollyroger

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
While it won't help on the trigger location. I run a late 1500 unit. It fits in the same location and the end tanks interchange with the early crossflow units. I run it on my racer and have zero heating problems. In fact I have a hard time getting it up to temp in cooler weather. I do run the stock plastic yellow fan too. The most important thing to remember when cooling and engine is moving air through the radiator. Nothing works better than an engine driven fan when done right.

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
Not bad, Frank. I'd like something a little wider, but that is definitely an option. How many cores does it have?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I think Hap Waldrup runs an early VW aluminum radiator - the one for non-AC cars

jollyroger

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
At one time many moons ago. I built a 76 midget with a 151 ci. pontiac 4 cyl. with a saginaw 4 speed. It had a one piece glass nose and a radiator from a 77 pontiac sunbird. the radiator uprights were removed and the radiator was tilted back. One electric fan did the job. The car also had a vega rear axle. so you can use other radiators. But just how much work do you want to do?

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
Sounds like an interesting car.

I do not want to remove the nose cone from the car, so I need something short enough to go under the hood. If I don't find a good solution by midsummer I may see if I can call in a favor and get a decent price on a custom radiator.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Trevor, look into one for either a VW Jetta, or a Golf. Aluminum and plastic, weigh nothing, and have plenty of cooling capacity. Many of us that race run them, and they are simple to adapt to the Spridget. Cheap, too.
Jeff