• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

AH 3000 BJ series driver's side mirror

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Evening gents,

I'm trying to track down (with little success thus far) a driver's side mirror for my BJ8 that I can somehow attach without having to drill holes. The fender mirrors that I now have on the car were mounted (probably by the original dealer) halfway down the fenders and are pretty ineffective. I found a nice little unit for my BT7 which mounts on to the big screw that secures the windshield pillar, but that won't work on the BJ8, since the windshield uses a different system of attachment.

Anybody have any suggestions?

With thanks
Dave

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi give XK's unlimited a call.They have quite an assortment of car mirrors--Fwiw--Keoke

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Have a look-see at this thread: https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/u...ques#Post697970
I'm planning on ordering the quarter light style for our BJ7 (Fran and I went camping for 5 days in ours last week; whenever I had to change lanes to the left, she did the 'shoulder check' for me)as there is one heck of a blind spot on the driver's left.
Doug

OP
davidb

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My thanks to Keoke, Roger, Randy and Doug for comments and suggestions on this one. I think the quarter light clip-on is the answer.

Doug - the previous thread on the subject was particularly helpful...

Cheers to all
Dave

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I bought those quarter lite mirrors from Moss. They would not stay on the windwings. I also could not get them to the right angle without the edge of the mirror hitting the windwing. I am not sure if another supplier might have better quality, but mine are now sitting on a shelf of "mistakes".

Jerry

bj8

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jerry,

The clamp should have a small thin plate that goes between the screws and the glass. If screwed firmly, it should stay in place on the vent glass.

By the way, the mirror does not have to positioned horizontal as in this photo. It can be turned vertical. Maybe that will help with clearance with the window frame.

Or you could enlarge the bolt hole out farther on the post. I'm assuming you only need a millimeter or two. Place a stainless washer on each side to cover the enlarged hole you made, if it shows. If the bolt moves in the larger hole, press a shim in. Just an idea.

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
Hi Dave,

The factory put driver's side mirrors out on the wings.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/galleries/617887/A_couple_of_laps_around_VIR

I was also very nervous about the blind spot(s) with the top up.
I exchanged the factory mirror with a convex replacement that
looked the same as the original factory mirror. I also added
the same type of convex mirror on the passenger side in the same
location as the factory driver's side mirror.
Result... No more blind spots plus I didn't have to fill the hole in the wing where the factory mirror is. I guess it is a matter of preference.

Ed

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I exchanged the factory mirrors with a convex replacement.

Well that can help some ED but it introduces a new problem:

What you see in the mirrors is not spaced correctly distance
wise from your car.--Keoke

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Ed_K said:
Hi Dave,
The factory put driver's side mirrors out on the wings.
Ed

I don't believe the factory installed wing mirrors.
I believe they were dealer installed.
Cheers,
Roger

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
Hi Roger,

My heritage certificate has the following listed after item #

11. Details of Factory Fitted Equipment ...

Wire wheels, Laminated windscreen, Adjustable steering column,
Overdrive, Heater, Wing mirror, Cigar lighter, Octagonal wheelnuts, Black tonneau cover, Roadspeed tyres.

My car was originally sold to a company in England that drove it around a few miles and then flew it into the U.S. for the original owner to pick up at the airport. All of this was to avoid the large duty ( tax ) on a new car. So maybe BMC didn't put mirrors on if they were going to ship the car via the normal means ( on a ship ) ? I don't know that, just guessing at the possible reason for mine having the factory installed wing mirror.
My heritage certificate also has this ..

9. Destination ( Dealer ) ... Personal Export Delivery to Philadelphia, USA

In the picture,
the original English license plate is on the front of my car. I had to repaint it but that plate has been on it since it was sold by BMC to this " import service company " working for U.S. G.I.s in England in the 60s.

I'll bet others on the forum have a similar car history.

Anyway, It appears to be a factory installed wing mirror per my certificate.

Ed

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I don't believe the factory installed wing mirrors.
I believe they were dealer installed

:savewave: Roger!!!

We now have at least two heritage certificates that say they did--KEOKE

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
AUSMHLY said:
Hi Ed,
Good thing I wrote, I believe...
Now I'll have to find what publication that was written in.

Ed, Keoke, and all others who read this post.
I agree, the heritage certificate has the last say as to what was available from the factory.

When I wrote, I believe, I was referencing what I read in a restoration guide and a restorer's guide.

1. Authentic Restoration Guide, Austin-Healey 100/100-6/3000 by Gary Anderson and Roger moment.

Page 166, "Fender mirrors were never fitted from the factory on big Healeys. A driver-side door mounted external mirror could be ordered as a separate option, and was generally mounted when the owner specified a factory-luggage rack. However, emulating the Jaguars, many Healeys were fitted by the dealer or owners with fender mirrors mounted on the front fenders. There was no standard location for mounting these mirrors."

2. Original Austin-Healey 100,100-Six and 3000 The Restorer's guide by Anders Ditlev Clausager.

Page 86, "Wing mirrors (one or two) became available, originally either round or the trapezoidal-shape 'boomerang' Type. An external luggage rack could be fitted, and if this was supplied factory-fitted a wing mirror on the driver's side was also always added. The luggage rack and wing mirrors may also have been available for the 100-six models. A cigar lighter and a locking petrol filler cap were offered on the 3000 models from the start."

Cheers,
Roger

OP
davidb

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Well. I think the only sensible and rationale way to settle this discussion is with pistols at 20 paces at dawn.

Cheers
Dave
"I love the smell of WD-40 in the morning"

D

Duane_Rhynard

This thread also has more information.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/topics/500153/1

The fact that heritage certificates and the parts manuals agree, should show that the mirrors were available from the factory.

The restoration guide and a restorer's guide as references are excellent, but they should not been seen as definitive.

The concours guides are updated every year as new information is obtained, to take care of just these issues.

Duane
’58 BN6

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well. I think the only sensible and rationale way to settle this discussion is with pistols at 20 paces at dawn. :shocked:

:savewave:

Well Dave, since this is a classic issue I think it should be settled with swords or the Heritage certificates.-Keoke- :laugh:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The fact that heritage certificates and the parts manuals agree, should show that the mirrors were available from the factory

:savewave:ROGER!!

The restoration and restorer's guide you referenced are excellent, but they should not be seen as definitive. :iagree:

The concours guides are updated every year as new information is obtained. These updates are usually derived from the car owner's Heritage certificate to take care of just these issues. :yesnod:

Thanks to Duane-----------Keoke- :driving:

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Keoke said:
The fact that heritage certificates and the parts manuals agree, should show that the mirrors were available from the factory
:savewave:ROGER!!
Keoke- :driving:

I agree guys. As I stated in my prior post... :rolleyes:

"Ed, Keoke, and all others who read this post.
I agree, the heritage certificate has the last say as to what was available from the factory."

I was just sharing what's out here in print, in case this come up in another post.

Wadjathink, clear enough this time Keoke... :savewave:
You seem to have me in your crosshairs :square:

Cheers my friend :thirsty:
Roger