• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A A long TR3A Drive Tonight

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
I made my first long (for me) drive with the TR3A this afternoon. The oil pressure was about 70 when I started, dropped to about 50 when it warmed up, and constantly around 2000rpm. It dropped to 25 at idle when waiting three lights to get through. Is this normal? The temperature never got over 185-187. It sounded like I had a little knock at about 3-3500rpm. I think I need to retard the timing a little. Does all this sound right? I now have about 80 miles on the new (to me) car....

Thanks

CaptRoy
61TR3A TS71469L

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Oil pressure sounds relatively normal to me. What viscosity of oil are you using? All else sounds about right as well, including your thought of possibly retarding the timing just a bit. Ah, the beauty of that vernier adjuster on the Lucas distributor!

BTW, I happen to have (long stored and maybe someday to be restored) TS71909L...pretty close to yours. Mine was built 3/28/60, and apparently always has been registered as a 1960 model. Apparently yours sat awhile somewhere!?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Sounds all normal to me though my I idea of a long drive is one where you have to do laundry & get a haircut somewhere along the way (once talked my wife into a 24,000 mile trip though admittedly not in the TR).

Modern gas is pretty bad, assuming by knock you mean a pre-ignition ping... yes, I would just work the timing back a bit at a time. I keep a 3x5 card with a drawing of the distributor's vernier scale so I know where I am as I mess with it.

OP
C

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks Guys,

I feel a lot better now and I really like the idea of keeping track of the adjustments. This was my first but I plan longer drives as I grow confidence in the car...I know by the number that the car is a 60...but it is registered as a 61. I really need to find a bonnet that fits it properly. It has raised hinge points but not on the bonnet and the front of the bonnet does not fit correctly. I think if I find a raised hinge bonnet it will be able to be fitted properly. My wife really got into riding it it this evening..

Thanks again,

Capt Roy
61TR3A TS71469L

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
For me, a long drive in my TR3A was 6 days to Portland Oregon for VTR in 2000 (total of 7250 miles) and to VTR in Colorado in 2001 (round trip of 5250 miles). In 2004, I drove to the Triumph races at VIR in Virginia, then went to TRA in Ohio. I drove home on the next day, a Sunday, a total of 792 miles and was home from Springfield Ohio to Montreal, Canada by 8:15 in the evening.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A, TS 27489 LO

https://www.triumphest2006.com/images/clubcars/30donelliott'str3.jpg

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My long drive in my TR4 is still my initial drive home after buying the car (1,200 miles). Since then, I've only driven it more than a couple hundred miles a half-dozen times or so.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
It has raised hinge points but not on the bonnet and the front of the bonnet does not fit correctly. I think if I find a raised hinge bonnet it will be able to be fitted properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Capt Roy,

Especially if your current hood is in good condition, I recommend instead you find a good, skilled body shop. They can add those hinge platforms and adjust your bonnet for a good fit, then repaint as needed.

It is not uncommon for those hinge platforms to be missing, in fact new hoods, when available, are pressed without them. Even if the platforms were there, say on a used hood in decent shape, chances of them matching up properly with those on the car are slim and all the same sort of work ends up needing to be done.

You might look for a copy of Roger Williams "Restoring Triumph TR2/3/3A" to see some photos and info about the process. Keep in mind that TR2/3/3A were essentially "hand made" by comparison to later TRs and, certainly, modern cars.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

SpannerMan

Jedi Trainee
I would add that running premium gas (93 octane in my area) should keep you from having to back the timing off as much (assuming of course that you don't have that in it already).

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
You're fortunate that you're able to keep the temp in that range.. Can't remember if you've told us if you have just the stock fan. I Imagine those Texas summers will challenge a stock system.
My next project (yet down the road) is cleaning up the radiator I have, changing the thermostat and probably adding an electric fan. So far, my long drive isn't very far but I'm hoping that with the fan/temp issue are fixed I'll be able to venture out a little farther. I'm encouraged by those of you who take those interstate trips.

Musicman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My long drive was way back in 1973. I was 21 years old and had a 1971 Inca Yellow TR-6. My trip started in Queens, NY (lived there then) and ended in Los Angeles, CA. I covered about 500 miles a day for six days straight. It was great. I stayed in CA for about 3 months living the dream and enjoying the fine roads. An interesting (almost surreal) thing happen very soon after arriving in LA. I was driving in west LA when a guy driving an old MG signaled to me to pull over for a moment. He actually offered his car against mine, even for even. I don't remember the exact model of his MG but I do remember it was a 1952 (my birth year). I didn't go for the deal, but I'll always remember that experience.

So after about 3 months I was on my way back to NY. About 6 miles outside of Amarillo, TX, the 6 dies. Total loss of power. So there I was with the sun going down out on the open road. Long story short - got towed into town, then on a Sunday found a parts place that had correct points in stock and I was on my way. The rest of the trip was great and the car performed great the entire time.

As a side note, during the 3,000 mile journey back to NY the first pothole I hit was right after entering NYC. Go figure!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...the front of the bonnet does not fit correctly...

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it bow up slightly about where the front catch is located? If so, I have seen this on many TR3s, including mine. I suspect it is due to years of pressing against that spring-loaded pin.

OP
C

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
Yes, It bows up on the front. Do you think a body shop could fix that?

Capt Roy