• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

58 Sprite ribbed transmission issue [again]

M

Mike

I installed the new master and new slave cylinder the other night and took a test drive without incident. Yesterday I drove the car around town for a few hours and everything was fine until the very end of the day. I stated to notice a slight grind going from neutral (when stopped) to first but not in any other gear. I re-bled the system thinking I may have gotten an air bubble in the system. I also lowered the gear box oil just a little thinking it might be over filled. It still does a very light grinding noise sometimes when going from neutral (stopped) in to first. If I stop in second and shift from second to first after being stopped the noise does not occur. I can't tell you how this car ran much before I got her because I started having slave cylinder problems right when a I bought her home. I also wanted to mention that I used a new much longer piece of hydrualic hose that goes into the slave. It was tested for 3,000 PSi at the fabrication shop. Moss Motors did not have the right piece for the original slave (sent wrong fitting size) and the fuel line was very bastardized when I bought the car. Went to a fabricator that couldn't do it right so I end up with a long hose section (approx 24"). I wouldn't think this would cause a problem. One of my car buddies says this is normal for an old tranny because the first gear is not synchronized. So I should just pull it into second before hitting first. Is this par for the course on the ribbed transmissions? Am i possibly not pulling in the slave rod enough? Your thoughts?

Mike

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Always hit second before shifting into first. It will get to be second nature after a while. First is not synchronized and qa complete stop is necessary before going into first. You'll find the reverse - Shift to second - now into first will become so routine you never notice it after a while. Part of the quirks of LBC's and Spridgets. Noise is the same for smoothcase or ribbed case trannys. Just get out and drive and enjoy.

OP
M

Mike

Jim:

Your comments made me fill a lot better. The newbie in me brings up a few "oh no's". I did notice though, from a complete stop, going from neutral to first, a small grind can occur. Are you saying that even from a complete stop I need to hit second before first? I hope so, it will make me even feel better!

Thanks again Jim,

Mike

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes. As commented ther are no syncros on first and hitting second will stop the gears from turning when you go to first. However, be fully stoped.

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Perfect! I never knew the "hit second first" trick for getting it into first gear.

Mine, as I am sure they all do, grinds slightly when going from neutral to first at a stop. I've just been gently easing it in, and it doesn't really grind, you can just feel tne engagement through the shift knob. I'll make sure I get in the habit of going to second initially, then jumping over.

Thanks!

Country flag
I still hit 2nd before going back into first even though it is not necessary on the datsun tranny. Just a habit.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Mike,

You'll get the hang of it quickly as I said and both Jack and Trevor commented as well. AS long as you aren't grinding in any other upshifts or downshifts you've found a Spridget with a great tranny.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Atrus said:
Perfect! I never knew the "hit second first" trick for getting it into first gear.

Mine, as I am sure they all do, grinds slightly when going from neutral to first at a stop. I've just been gently easing it in, and it doesn't really grind, you can just feel tne engagement through the shift knob. I'll make sure I get in the habit of going to second initially, then jumping over.

Thanks!

I did not know this trick either. I'll remember to try it, if the weather ever breaks, right now, a top down cruise through the sun warmed countryside seems all but impossible. I'll need to get the car back together too I guess!

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
jvandyke said:
I did not know this trick either. I'll remember to try it, if the weather ever breaks, right now, a top down cruise through the sun warmed countryside seems all but impossible. I'll need to get the car back together too I guess!

I am in the same boat you are in - even if the weather was perfect, I need to get it all back together before I can cruise.

Walked outside at lunch to get food - it was 30* out! Felt like a darn heatwave!!!!

bugimike

Yoda
Can't add much more than the good advice from Jim and Jack, but, just FYI, the bugeyes never had the flexible hose to the slave like later models, rather having a "hard" line which was coiled just above the starter to absorb vibrations!

OP
M

Mike

Thanks guys for all the comments. The 2nd to 1st gear makes things sweet. All the other gears shift fine. It is a bout 70 degrees here in Texas and tomorrow looks nice as well so I hope to get in some driving. Today is a "oh yeah" day instead of a "oh no" day. I'm finding out that owning a classic has created a new vocabulary in my household.

Mike