• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1969 Austin Healey Sprite Rebuild

DylanDale

Freshman Member
Hey,

I am at the point of putting my car back together after painting it. This is my senior project and I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on what I should do to my car.

Thanks,
Dylan

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Welcome! and cool project.

can you be a little more specific? Are we talking 5 speed, mild cam or lambo doors and airbags?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Some pics along with discriptions would help a lot.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We ALL have ideas about what you should do, but don't pay us any attention. It's YOUR car, not ours and should make YOU happy, not us. That said, I favor reliability, so a mild engine build, 5 speed, car is my preference.
YMMV

livinginthepast

Jedi Trainee
Like Bill L. said, it's up to you.

I think that if you provide a little insight into your vision, there will be people crawling out of the woodwork to help you.

For myself, I tend to be concours oriented, or at least I have a love of keeping things original (I doubt my car will ever be a concours champ). Others are in to all sorts of wild mods. What's your passion?

Regards,

BillW

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
To make it a blast to drive don't over look the little things.
Suspension bushings, shocks, brakes etc.
Put your budget into the engine/tranny. Use quality parts.
Cleanliness is very important. Makes working on it much easier.
Take your time. When frustrated....you will be frustrated...
step away and get a fresh start at the problem a bit later.
Ask questions. The guys/gals here are a wealth of knowledge.
Having a plan/overall idea really helps me. Put it on paper.
Make lists of to do items. Checking 'em off gives a sense of victories. Keeps it from being overwhelming.
Document your work. Take lots of pics...we all love pics.

OP
D

DylanDale

Freshman Member
Wow, that was alot more insight than I had expected. Thanks everyone!!

Regarding what I want to do; I am looking to keep it original and use it as a daily driver. This is the first car I have bought myslef and I really like keeping thigs original but as I am a HS Senior going to college, Idon't have the money to do a concours resto.

I have been thinking of using Moss Motors and British Victoria for my parts that need replacing, anyone have any problems with their stuff??

I am based in Long Beach, CA if there is anyone here that would help.

Regarding the enginge: Should I have it rebuilt by someone else or do it my self?

thank you all, Dylan

OP
D

DylanDale

Freshman Member
img_5102.jpg

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If you plan to keep it original, deal with Moss and VB as little as possible. Use this forum, craig's list, ebay and swap meets for parts. While some of their parts may be ok, much of their stuff is of NOT. Peter C. at worldwide auto parts (madison WI,) is a reliable vendor, as is Ed at JustBrits in Illinois) Jeff at Advance Distributor is good as gold as well. There are others, ask where when you know what you need. Napa also has regular maintanance parts.

For a daily driver you may want to put in a pertronix ignition so that you don't have to set points (ever again) and it can be done undone at any time.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
DylanDale said:

For starters the fuzzy dice can be found at your local Pep Boys.
Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
:jester:

Whether to rebuild the engine yourself or have it done
depends greatly on your skill level.
Do it yourself sure is cheaper but you will want it
done right.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Pythias said:
If you plan to keep it original,

I don't agree Bill, I've only had one part fail. I suspect "original" in this context means "not customized" as opposed to "concours." With a few exceptions Moss and VB are all I used and I've been quite pleased.

In terms of your restoration,

1. Stay close to these boards and ask here first, there is lots of advice and even parts available.

2. Get a couple of restoration manuals. Haynes and Bentley are the best.

3. Join a local British Car Club if you can - you will find more people willing to help than you can possibly imagine.

4. Figure out what has to be done and only do that. So, for instance, if the engine is running and compression is good, don't rebuild the engine. Instead put your money and time into the things that matter. In these cars what matters is the front end - bushing etc which are almost certainly worn out and brakes. Then even if you don't always start, you can always stop.

5. If you do the above, you will be doing a rolling restoration which means you can enjoy it rather than walk to school while you are saving money for parts.

6. If you can, do it yourself. I did almost everything on my car and trust me, there is nothing more satisfying than answering the question with the words "yes, I did it myself." In your case especially, I can think of nothing more satisfying than the beginning of a life long hobby.

7. Only listen to half of what we say. We are a pretty nice bunch and eager to help but you will get 15 answers to every question and sometimes that can make it all seem overwhelming. In reality these are REALLY simple cars and a great first car to restore.

8. Have fun! If you go one step at a time, in no time you will be driving to school with a grin plastered all over your face and, be assured these are chick magnets (a nice bonus
grin.gif
)

lbc_newbie

Jedi Warrior
JP covered just about everything... except..
Host an O.S.H.I.T.

I have benefited immensely from hosting and attending them. You get to know the guys in your area who are as passionate about these little cars as you are. Most of them bring skills and knowledge that will greatly benefit you. You can get the most intense work done on your car in a single day. I have had my engine assembled from a short block to installed and running in a single day. I have also had my 5 speed installed the same way. Whether you host, or attend one, you will never leave disappointed with the work that was completed on your car. The sessions will leave you with great friendships and dudes to hang out with when you want to take a drive.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
lbc_newbie said:
Host an O.S.H.I.T.

Tell him what an O.S.H.I.T. is Ed - and that it is more than what you say when the brakes fail again.

lbc_newbie

Jedi Warrior
JPSmit said:
lbc_newbie said:
Host an O.S.H.I.T.

Tell him what an O.S.H.I.T. is Ed - and that it is more than what you say when the brakes fail again.

Organization of Spridget Handymen in Transit. What you do is to let the BCF, and the Spridgets@autox.net guys (or whatever forums you participate in) know that you want to host an ODoody. Keep in communication with the guys that want to come over to help, or have work to do on their own cars. Get food and refreshments, tools needed, directions, etc. and set a date that works for everyone. They will descend upon your dwelling ready to work, eat, drink, and be merry. It's a fantastic way to learn from some of the masters out here. At the last one, we had 8 or 9 guys and 3 or 4 cars that needed work. Everything got done. You cannot pay for this kind of support and knowledge anywhere. If you do, then you make too much money. You can also keep an eye out for someone else hosting one and bring your car, tools, food and beverage to their location. It's all about meeting and greeting and connecting with some of the guys (and gals) out here on the Forum. We have hosted 3 ODoody meetings in the NW over the last year. Check out my link below to see the pics...

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Organization of
Spridget
Handymen
In
Transit

Here in the Northwest we have N.O.S.H.I.T. gatherings As an aside we call the Pacific Northwest, "Billgaria" due to the number of Bill's we have attending these events. (with credit to David Lieb of "the list".