• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1964 3000 MkII

MrHealey

Freshman Member
I recently aquired a one owner, numbers matching 1964 3000 MkII which I plan to restore and sell at the Barrett Jackson auction in the spring. Can anyone offer advice on a color choice. The original color of the car was British Racing Green, but I have been looking at the colors that bring the top prices and Blue is right up there. How will it affect my cars value if I change the color and go for a more popular color scheme? Thank you

Country flag
Healeys aren't the easiest of cars to restore, the bodywork being especially difficult to get lined up properly; if all the original panels are useable, you'll have a leg up in the regard.

As for color, if you stick to colors originally offered, I don't think the hit will be too big. I'll agree that BRG isn't a very stimulating color, but the rest of the palette has merits.

Of course, if your name was Kurt Tanner, you could deviate as much as you want, and still exceed the high estimate!

Personally, I like the rollup window cars in Old English White, followed closely by Healey Ice Blue.

I chose to go with a non original color for my own car, and while striking, I know that I'll pay for it when (if) I sell it.

IMG_5445.sized.jpg

IMG_5455.sized.jpg

Oh, and welcome.

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Good question. It really depends on the crowd at the auction. If you have people looking for an "original" car, the change in color will hurt a bit, but not too bad if the color you choose is a Healey color that was used in 1964. If the crowd is just buying what they like, then the popular color will probably help. That said, I have not seen the BRGs dragging on the market. I went through this when I picked the color for my 65 MK III and went with the original BRG.

On a different subject, a 64 MKII is pretty rare. The MKIIIs were introduced in February of 64.

On another different note, be careful with the idea of making money on a restoration. The big money will go to cars that are very correct in all aspects. I'm talking about original nuts and bolts replated in zinc. Original bumpers beaten and filed back into shape and rechromed. A wiring harness with the correct colors and patterns woven into the loom. I could go on for weeks. Give Tom Kovacs at Fourintune a call and he'll give you a good idea what it might cost. Such restorations are very expensive. It won't leave much room for profit at an auction, even if you do a lot of the work yourself.

There are cheaper ways to "restore" the car. But you really can't have the local guy who restores Camaros and Mustangs rebuild it with stuff he buys from a hardware supplier and expect to get a lot for it at Auction.

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I was not aware of any 64 MK II's. I looked in Clausager's Origional AH and his info says the MK III went from October 63 thru to 68. Is this about right? Anyway my 64 Phase I was BRG and I changed it to Healey blue/white coves and it sure gets alot of looks. I think people really like the two tones. Just my thoughts. Have a good day!

John

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Reading through all the collected articles republished in the various portfolios, they all give February of 1964 as the introduction date of the MKIII.

MikeP

Jedi Knight
It may very well have been a dealer car built earlier and not titled until 64, the VIN would tell you for sure. Remember, that sort of thing was common back then.

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
^Very true. I was taking the OP at his word about the actual manufacturer's year of the car. That sent me running to the periodicals, as I thought all 64s were MKIIIs. Then I read several old road tests claiming that the MKIII was introduced by Austin Healey in February of 64. I suppose the articles could be wrong, but they are contemporary pieces written for the express purpose of announcing new models to the magazine readers.

Country flag
My BJ8 phase 1 was built at the end of November 1963 (Heritage cert) and has a metal tag on the firewall saying 64. Hey she just had a birthday. The big 45. That's why she is getting a face lift.

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
If I could wade into the discussion and provide my two cents, the issue on color is also whether or not to have it done up in a two tone, or just the one solid color. Some colors like the stunning golden metallic beige, present very well as one solid color (there's one on ebay at the moment, and as I recall it's a Mark 2). If originality isn't a problem, that would be my choice. But BRG always looks good under the bright lights of auctions, and is classicaly "british". In this case, given your Heritage certificate, the prospective buyer might prefer originality. Maybe with an Old English White insert?

Heck, I wish I had your problem.

Good luck with the auction.

Country flag
Red has always been known as "resale red" cause it is striking. It seems to always get the awards at shows, too. If your intention is to sell then it should be considered.

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Just a quick follow up thought...what color is your interior? If you have blue rugs, seats and blue top, that limits things. Less so if it's black...

Attachments

• 19228.jpg
    19228.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 183
  • 19229.jpg
    19229.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 171