• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1936 MGVA

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
I was talking with a woman from South Africa today and she mentioned her 80 year old friend there has a 1936 MGVA. I told her I didn't know the model. She brought up 3 pics of it and printed them for me. I will try to scan them and post them.
The owner lost some kind of telescoping piece that is attached to the rear vent windows. Anyone know what she may be talking about and where to get them?
Rick

Steve_S

Yoda
The VA is basically the underpowered brother of the SA. With a 1250cc 4-cylinder engine and nearly 3,000 pounds behind it, the car can barely get out of its own way, unlike the 3-liter straight six in the SA. But both are absolutely gorgeous cars.

I would recommend your friend join the MGSVW list on Yahoo Groups.

https://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/MGSVW/

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Wow, I would LOVE to find one of these to restore... Maybe I'll put it on my list for the next project...

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
classy cars!

R6MGS

Yoda
Gorgeous cars...Your friend wouldn't want to sell it would she??
I like the coupe alot better, the lines seam to flow more smoothly.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh the red coupe with the wheels in the fenders, sigh. Did not know MG made such a beautiful car.

Steve_S

Yoda
Those cars were from the days of Cecil Kimber. They are some of the cars which defined the M.G. Car Company. Anyone who enjoys M.G. automobiles should take some time to learn about the pre-war cars, which are considered to be the "real" M.G.s.

All VAs had the spare at the front of the passenger (left) side running board. The MG SA moved the spare to an enclosed rear compartment as seen here:

1936-9-MG-SA-Saloon.jpg

I'm partial to the looks of the VA myself, but the SA is a better car, and the engine is far more suited to the vehicle weight.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The most beautiful cars we have lost over the years. I know, no A/C, and no 80 on the highway but so beautiful.

Steve_S

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
...no A/C, and no 80 on the highway...

[/ QUOTE ]
Wear light clothing and leave home earlier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
At my age the A/C is real important. I can live without the 80.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Those cars were from the days of Cecil Kimber. They are some of the cars which defined the M.G. Car Company. Anyone who enjoys M.G. automobiles should take some time to learn about the pre-war cars, which are considered to be the "real" M.G.s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. By 1936 Sir William had sold MG, which I guess had been like an expensive hobby to him, to the Nuffield Group, all factory team car racing had been stopped, and the OHC engines were giving way to pushrods. Kimber started taking more and more of a back seat. He had the Nuffield Board as bosses, not just one man.

It's only my opinion, but the last real Kimber road car was the PB, and last track car the single-seater R.

Steve_S

Yoda
You're right, by that year Kimber had basically stepped aside. I suppose I was considering the car from his era because he was still alive. Unfortunately not for long though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

But I do consider any pre-war M.G. (and the post-war TC) a "real" M.G. and in the spirit of the original vision. Of course the true purists will say nothing with doors is a real M.G.! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
"But I do consider any pre-war M.G. (and the post-war TC) a "real" M.G. and in the spirit of the original vision. Of course the true purists will say nothing with doors is a real M.G.!"

Chris - Please replace the doors in the above with cable brakes and you will be spot on.

When I was younger I never ever considered owning a pre-war car and as I got older I just had to have one.

Now having one, I have to say that there are alot refinements that were made in the T series that did not exist in the pre war - ex. hydraulic brakes & synchros.

I am also impressed with the cockpit controls like timing advance, mixture; low charge (summer) and high charge (winter), a reserve fuel tank to name a few.

I often go out and sit by him and wish that he could tell me what it was back in the days when Cecil ran the works. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
I often go out and sit by him and wish that he could tell me what it was back in the days when Cecil ran the works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. But you can keep the cable brakes. They never would have done it if hydraulic brakes were reliable and cheaply available!

Daimlerdb18

Turner Classic Movies had "The Letter" on last night, with Joseph Cotten, Jennifer Jones and an absolutely beautiful MG that looked like a convertible VA. Any old movie buffs have an idea of what it is? (besides being the newest object of my unfettered automotive desire?)

Daimlerdb18

Wait, correction on the title: "Love Letters" 1945...