• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

convertable top

bansheedave

How does the header rail mount to the vinyl top on a 66 sprite with roll up windows and 2 piece remove able bow setup? I need a header rail and found one on ebay that the guy said came off a 67 midget and what looks like a fixed top. Moss shows they are all the same from 64-80 but doesn't show how they mount up. I don't want to purchase something that shows it fits but when I get it, i can't use it. If someone has pictures on how it is installed, that would be awesome.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Victoria British is consistent with Moss and indicates they will work. I've never used the 2 piece bow. I have the single frame in the '69 Sprite. I know my header rail mount was originally riveted to the convertible frame. Someone drilled out the rivets to replace the top and replaced them with sheet metal screws. The top goes on first and is glued on, then you put the header rail on. I replaced my top last year. I may have pics of the header rail mount.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
There is a difference between the '64 thru '66 header bar and the '67 thru '79 but the ONLY difference is that the later ones have threaded holes in them to allow them to bolt onto the foldup frame. They will ALL ('64 thru '79) work for your early car
I don't have any pictures of the attach method but hopefully someone will
BillM

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I searched my photos. I have a lot of the frame, but none of the header rail. Sorry that I can't be of help!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
How does the header rail mount to the vinyl top on a 66 sprite with roll up windows and 2 piece remove able bow setup? I need a header rail and found one on ebay that the guy said came off a 67 midget and what looks like a fixed top. Moss shows they are all the same from 64-80 but doesn't show how they mount up. I don't want to purchase something that shows it fits but when I get it, i can't use it. If someone has pictures on how it is installed, that would be awesome.

If you are asking how the top is attached to the rail - on mine ('76) it is glued on the top (contact cement) and, I think <think> the top then folds under and is further held in place by the retainer rail. The car isn't here for me to confirm that last bit - sorry

OP
B

bansheedave

So there isn't a connection between the header rail and the rear removable bows? It just pulls forward and latches to the windshield and that's it?

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
If you are asking how the top is attached to the rail - on mine ('76) it is glued on the top (contact cement) and, I think <think> the top then folds under and is further held in place by the retainer rail. The car isn't here for me to confirm that last bit - sorry

That's how it is on my '69.

I don't have the top with the removable bows, but my folding top just latches to the windshield.

nomad

Yoda
So there isn't a connection between the header rail and the rear removable bows? It just pulls forward and latches to the windshield and that's it?

Correct! You get a routine going pretty quick. Hook at back, over the still folded bow's, hook at front and attach all snap's and stud's, open bows. If you get caught in the rain you learn fast!

Kurt.