• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Would you keep both a TR3 and 3000? Is it crazy?

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful
I have been a sports car guy for a long time. Usually I keep just one at a time, tinker a bit, carefully improve what can be improved, enjoy for a year or two, then move on to something else. However, recently I came across two quite nice cars in a short period of time (and I already had another sports car, but Italian). I thought well, I'll drive both for a while, make a decision and let one go after the first of the year. Well, I'm telling you, it's not that easy to decide. It's probably dumb to keep two- I could use the money, but I wonder if I can justify both as an "investment"- sort of a 401K on wheels?

The TR3 is a late B, low mileage, mostly original. The Big Healey is restored to a high standard. Both drive out nicely and have no vices, and are both fun to drive, but quite different experiences. Neither one is needy- I guess my only real cost would be insurance, which is pretty inexpensive. However, money will be tied up that can be used other places.

Can you talk me through this? Would you keep both, or cash out of one now? Anybody else faced this dilemma? I guess I should post this on both the Austin Healey and Triumph forums so I can get both perspectives.

Thanks for your opinion. Jeff

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I agree with DaveGT6!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Tough decision, Jeff.

Both cars will probably increase in value over the years; how much is anyone's guess.

Are you able to "exercise" them regularly? Would one be more enjoyable over the other? How much more important are the other things you'd use the money for?

Lots to consider, for sure. I'm going to be faced with a similar issue at some point, with the two B's that I have. Good luck with the decision!

Mickey

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Its either that or do something foolish with your money. At least with these cars there is a world wide demand for them , not the same can be said for my other investments. Enjoy and care for them , find a new home when you can turn a profit. I've got the same problem only substitute an E type for your airplane !

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Your comment - "I could use the money" infers there's a belief funds are short in other areas. Don't let this hobby handcuff you financially. Unfortunately (for many), "We grow too soon old and too late smart.".

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Sell em both and buy back that Surrey TR4 you had - that was beautiful! Just kidding, I would love your dilemma. Frankly if I were you I'd hang on to both until you tire of one of them. The value won't go down on either. And you'll get top dollar for when you do want to part with one or both.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
It is really your personal decision based on interest and resources. I will add that given the performance of most equity investments, and the dismal return on savings accounts and CDs, classic cars are not a bad place to have your money tied up in. I know this statement sounds self serving if you like old cars, but there is some truth in it. I understand that it is becoming popular to form investment consortiums of various types to buy collector cars at auction.

They are both really beautiful cars by the way, would love to have both in my garage, the 3B looks really sharp with the whitewalls

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I too have a TR3 and a 1959 Healey 3000, but my Healey is a true sports car (roadster) like the TR3, not some roll-up window modification created simply to sell more cars and make more money. It is difficult to tell from your photographs, but your Healey looks to be a BJ7 or an early phase one BJ8. If you do need to sell one, the Healey has a greater financial value than the TR3, even thought the value of Healeys has been dropping recently. If I had your cars, the Healey is the one I would sell simply because the TR3 is a true sports car and a lot more fun to drive even with the less powerful engine.

In my case, if I had to see one of my cars, it would be the TR3 because I have owned the Healey for 40 years.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Gee Ron, that answered it?

grin.gif
:thirsty:

Country flag
To me it would depend on how much $$$$ you require right now. If the TR3 value would cover that then thats the one to go. I have several cars for several years, some aren't getting used at all. I've been struggling on what to do. Money's no good in the bank, scared to do anything in the market right now so I am just sitting tight. Thinking I should sell a couple of them while they are still worth good money but I do still like to look at them even if I don't drive them.

Marv

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Jeff,

Obviously a very personal question that really only you can answer. For me it would come down to enjoyment of the vehicles and attachments to them versus the need for the money (or desire to do something different with the money). I've always loved the AH3000 as well as the TR3 and although I haven't driven an AH3000 I imagine they are very different cars and would probably want to try and keep both.

Scott

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Fairview said:
...both fun to drive, but quite different experiences...

That's why I enjoy having two -- the TR3 & 4 are fun but yet so different.

RonR said:
...not some roll-up window modification created simply to sell more cars and make more money...

That could also describe a TR4. I guess those greedy %$!&@#%s at Triumph were also just trying "to sell more cars and make more money".

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Well, that 3B has the wrong badge on front (should be the later blue/white badge), which pretty much destroys any value the car had; I'll give you $500 tops, right now. :devilgrin:

Seriously, I'd keep and enjoy both if you have no pressing need for the funds. Apples and oranges. Period. :driving:

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
It depends on what you like. Having had an Austin Healy 100, a Jag XK-150 and now a TR-3B, the 3B is the winner. I have never enjoyed driving a car as much as the 3B. If you have to sell one, I'd sell the Healey.

As time matches on, the 3B will appreciate in value as they only made 2,804 of them with the 2138 cc engines.

Paul

EV2239

Jedi Warrior
I've a TR3A with a 2187 engine and a 3.5 to 1 axle and although less torquey than the Healey, it's revvier and faster. I really like it, but I'm not selling the Healey.

I thought the Healey might be a much better car, but the TR is a surprise package, with tremendous character and so low that a hand over the side can touch the road!

Keep both!

Ash

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
They're both beautiful. I would ache letting either go. So much fun to tinker and to admire.

But, if I had to choose, I'd keep the one you believe will be easiest to own, to fix, to work on, and to enjoy. You'll feel good knowing the other found a home, with someone willing to make the other commitments.

My guess doesn't count, but I have a hunch which way I'd lean.

The present isn't the best time to sell a British car, but the richer more prestigious cars likely enjoy more inelastic demand.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I don't understand the problem, get rid of the Italian car!!!!!