• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

We all should be dead

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Yep, we did not have a screen until 1956 and B&W. If we did not learn to work in the yard or something during high school and college we would not be on this forum as we would not have little British cars that we worked for.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Back in the 50s most moms were home all the time especially when the kids came home from school. There were no computers to take time away from normal play time and like said, play was very inventive. No cell phones, in fact when we got a phone, it was a party line, :highly_amused:! One ringy dingy, two ringy dingy and usually you could hear some busybody breathing on the line seeing what gossip they could learn. Went ice skating on Jennings pond with a big bonfire on the bank, went swimming in the dark brown creek, dove off a railroad trestle bridge in 6 foot of water! those were the days and all the kids were happy. Got kicked by a cow, fell in a pile of manure (Mom loved that), we had to strip outside and get hosed off, summer or winter LOL! We did our school work because if we didn't we would be in hot water longer than we wanted! We ate like everything on our plate!! Famous saying was, your mom spent a lot of time fixing this great meal, now eat it! Good grief, some of this stuff I haven't thought of in years. I have a lot of stories on the farm that are funny and some not so funny. Ok, I'm done, nuff said for now. :excitement:

Country flag
The thing I wonder about is thatwe, society as a whole, have forgotten that growing up is the time to make bad decisions or fail at things, and then learn from them. Failure isn't the end of the world, shoot I had things I found I wasn't good at and flopped on my face. Sports as a kid for example, I figured out my talent level peaked when I was about 14. Didn't get a participation ribbon or trophy, just last place in some things. And it didn't damage me for life. And I made my share of poor choices as a kid, learned from them rather than was protected from them. That's what makes us productive adults who know what to stay away from, mostly...

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Just saw a story about a college student suing her school because the school's food contains gluten. Huh? If the student is a "young adult," an eighteen-year-old or more, she is of legal age to enter into contracts, able to vote, be responsible for making decisions. What makes the school responsible to supply her specifically with a special diet? Sadly she will probably get a settlement from the school, they will be coerced into introducing more kitchen staff, provide a separate area for "gluten free" foods, all costing more. And then there's whining over tuition increases... Gluten reaction? WATCH WHAT YOU PUT IN YER PIE-HOLE, YA JERK! Mommy ain't feedin' ya now.

School should consider contracting Domino's to provide their gluten free Pizza! :thumbsup:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Interesting that she specifically asked if certain foods served in the cafeteria contained gluten - and was told no they don't contain gluten.

Great way to finance college - sue the school for lying to the student.

On the other hand ... she could have just not eaten the questionable food.

toast.jpg

(hmmm - want a little peanut butter on that carbon?)