• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Waxing.

Rippthrough

Correct way to do it?? I was always told to follow the lines of the car when waxing/polishing, in order to exagerate them, however, a friend swears that you should always wax/polish in circles. Which one, and how much deiffence does it make? However the same friend also polishes before and after waxing, which surely takes of the nice smooth layer of wax he has just put on?

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Polishes after waxing??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif I certainly would not follow that advice.

I always wax in circles more or less where possible.
Bruce

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Wax bonds at the molecular level and really doesn't care what direction it went on. What's important is that you get complete coverage. That's why they tell you to overlap your passes no matter what pattern you use, circles, straight lines or random orbit.

Under ideal conditions with the best products I don't think it matters one way or another. The reason I personally recommend sticking to straight front-to-back lines as much as possible for hand washing, waxing and polishing is that in the real world there is always the possibility that some kind of grit may get caught between your applicator and the surface. If it does you get scratches. Just using the wrong kind of cloth will instantly scratch up a finish.

Circular or random scratches are much more easily seen and much nastier looking than straight ones that follow the lines of the car.

PC

OP
R

Rippthrough

Back again, I've been using a bottle of Johnsons "Rally wax" which is about ten years old or so...
Anyhow, although it gives a good shine, it doesn't seem very deep, I've heard good things about the new NXT wax from Meguirs, but some people have said it isn't that good on metallic silver? Will I notice any diffence from the other, if I'm not going to notice that much I won't bother, as the paintwork isn't brilliant anyway (stone chips, rust on roof)

Steven

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
Back again, I've been using a bottle of Johnsons "Rally wax" which is about ten years old or so...
Anyhow, although it gives a good shine, it doesn't seem very deep, I've heard good things about the new NXT wax from Meguirs, but some people have said it isn't that good on metallic silver? Will I notice any diffence from the other, if I'm not going to notice that much I won't bother, as the paintwork isn't brilliant anyway (stone chips, rust on roof)

[/ QUOTE ]

Metallic silver has to be the worst color for a car as far as waxing is concerned. It oxidizes about 5x faster than any other color and is harder to wax properly and get a uniform shine. After having a silver colored car once, I swore I'd never get another one because of this reason. Use of Meguire's Cleaner Paste Wax 2x a year will keep your car looking brand new. Turtle Wax color wax, matched to your paint color does a good job of hiding scratches and rock chips. GS-27 is great for polishing out scratches. You can get it at Walmart. I use it on just about everything.

A

aerog

I don't know about silver, but this is what you can expect from NXT on good paint:

1012-1.jpg

Steven

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about silver, but this is what you can expect from NXT on good paint:

1012-1.jpg
[/quot

I don't know about NXT, but Meguiars Cleaner Paste Wax is the best I've ever used.

OP
R

Rippthrough

Note: Always read instructions before use, the Rally wax say's - refrain from use on metallic laqeurs, no damage will be caused, but paintwork may dull....DOH!!

Steven

Jedi Trainee
i heard that WD-40 applied to paint really makes it shine. Now, i haven't tried it, because it sounded kind of suspicious, but that's what i heard.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
i heard that WD-40 applied to paint really makes it shine. Now, i haven't tried it, because it sounded kind of suspicious, but that's what i heard.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess just about any liquid will give you that “wet look” but I think it’s a bad idea. WD-40 is optimized for its solvent and dispersal characteristics. I wouldn’t think it’s nice to a finish.

There are products containing oils that are intended for paint. Try Meguiar’s #7 Show Car Glaze or Deep Crystal Polish. They're good for your paint.

PC.

usasma

Jedi Trainee
The WD-40 (or any oil) will make it shine - trouble is that it attracts every bit of dust/trash that's floating around. We used it on HMMWV's in the Army until we found that out!

A

Americanshine

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Not that my opinion matters, but I have been "polishing & waxing" cars professionally for about 27 years. The best way for you to get the best shine when using a wax is to apply the wax in large figure "8's" overlaping, using a damp sponge covered with a terry cloth. They make these applicators and they are available for about $2 apiece. The old "wax on, wax off" circular is old news. By doing it in figure "8's" you do not come out with the swirl effect.
Also, when removing the wax I find it best to use microfiber towels, as they do not leave any lint and do a incredible job of picking up the wax.
A paste is always good if you do not mind getting it off as soon as you apply it and do it in the shade. I find that a liquid carnauba wax seems to be easiest, and can be left on for longer periods of time. I have left wax on some of my cars for as long as a week. And I live in the Mojave Desert. It is also a personal preference and up to the user. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif