• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wanted: 16P LH Brake Caliper

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
I found a pair of Tr6 wheels at MatthewsParts, and they are on their way here, together with a couple of nice brake rotor dust shields.

Next item I know I need is a type 16P front LH brake caliper. If you have one spare, or know of one available, please drop me a line!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Julian,

Where did you get the "16P" from? Is that stamped on the caliper?

I may have a caliper for you, either here or at a friends, but I won't know until Sat AM.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Have you tried Ted Schumacher at TSI? Good guy....
tedtsimx at bright dot net

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Brosky said:
Julian,

Where did you get the "16P" from? Is that stamped on the caliper?

I may have a caliper for you, either here or at a friends, but I won't know until Sat AM.

Hi Paul ... yes, stamped next to one of the mounting holes on the caliper. My other good one is the same. If you have one, that would be wonderful ... no hurry.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
mrv8q said:
Have you tried Ted Schumacher at TSI? Good guy....
tedtsimx at bright dot net

Good tip: I'll drop him a line. Thanks.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just a thought, Julian, you might try showing up at a club meeting and asking around. There's bound to be someone that's installed the Toyota calipers and has some early TR6 calipers laying around collecting dust.

Also FWIW, the earlier 16PB calipers would be a bolt-on. Functionally identical, take same pads & everything. But there is a slight difference in the rebuild kit, so it would probably be better to swap both of them if you do go that route.

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
TR3driver said:
Just a thought, Julian, you might try showing up at a club meeting and asking around. There's bound to be someone that's installed the Toyota calipers and has some early TR6 calipers laying around collecting dust.

Also FWIW, the earlier 16PB calipers would be a bolt-on. Functionally identical, take same pads & everything. But there is a slight difference in the rebuild kit, so it would probably be better to swap both of them if you do go that route.
Randall, not quite the same. The rebuild kit is different, but so are the pad retainer pins (smaller), and the mounting bolts are a different diameter, the bleed screws are different (leter is metric), and the pads are different because of the pin diameter.

Peter C.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Maybe this helps...from the Rimmer Bros. web site. There are Type 16P, 16PB and M16P (called 16PB Metric by some other vendors).

Quoting from Rimmer Bros: "The repair kits and pistons for early calipers with imperial thread can be of two types and they are not interchangeable. The later type kit (part no. 519731) differs from the early kit (part no. 601960) in using a steel clip to retain the dust shield on the caliper body. For further reference please refer to illustrations A and B.

"The calipers 307977 and 307976 can be replaced directly by either the later imperial threaded items or by the metric threaded ones if the appropriate brake pipe and caliper mounting bolts are used."

Regardless, I think I'd want a matched pair simply for convenience in any future maintenance, i.e., only being able to use 1/2 of each of two rebuild kits or pad sets or hardware sets, or .... :smile:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
PeterC said:
Randall, not quite the same. The rebuild kit is different, but so are the pad retainer pins (smaller), and the mounting bolts are a different diameter, the bleed screws are different (leter is metric), and the pads are different because of the pin diameter.
I disagree, Peter. You are talking about the later, "Metric" 16PB calipers. The earlier "Imperial" 16PB calipers took the same pads, pins, bleed screw, etc. as the 16P ones.

According to the Moss catalog, the change to early 16PB calipers happened at CC29930 (which would be during 1969), while the "metric" calipers started at CC81079 (during 1972). Unfortunately the markings are the same, so it can be difficult to tell the difference. The slightly larger mounting holes are probably the easiest thing to look for.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
TR3driver said:
PeterC said:
I disagree, Peter. You are talking about the later, "Metric" 16PB calipers. The earlier "Imperial" 16PB calipers took the same pads, pins, bleed screw, etc. as the 16P ones.

According to the Moss catalog, the change to early 16PB calipers happened at CC29930 (which would be during 1969), while the "metric" calipers started at CC81079 (during 1972). Unfortunately the markings are the same, so it can be difficult to tell the difference. The slightly larger mounting holes are probably the easiest thing to look for.

I have to be careful, because my car is a CP-series 1971, and often I've seen that Moss and other places only talk about changes in terms of CC numbers.

Now I'm unclear: do the 16PB calipers have "PB" stamped on them, or "P"?

Certainly, my calipers are stamped "P".

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
AFAIK, all the "PB" calipers have "PB" cast into them. So I think it's clear your car was wearing a "P" caliper, no matter what it originally was equipped with. Another way to check is to look at how the dust boots are secured to the caliper body. The 16P calipers have a groove inside the bore that a lip of the boot fits into; while the 16PB has a lip that sticks out of the caliper body, and an spring clip on the outside of the boot to hold it to the lip.

Of course, you wouldn't be the first to find the wrong type of boot installed
grin.gif

Sorry I don't have my factory literature handy, but Moss UK gives the CP change points as
CP26076 (change to Imperial 16PB calipers)
CP76095 (change to metric 16PB calipers)
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=2641

So it would appear that the "imperial" 16PB calipers were original to your car, and someone has changed them to the 16P type. Or possibly even only the left one. This is kind of consistent with the failure you saw; indicating that someone has been "messing" in the area. Possibly the car was even wrecked and repaired at some point in the past ... a lot can happen in 37 years!

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
Randall, My mistake. I didn't look at a catalog. I rebuild these all the time, and just look at the calipers and grab the right parts.

Peter

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Julian,

I'm going down to the Cape early tomorrow morning to a friends with a lot of TR6 parts. he's going to look for your caliper. If he has one that can be rebuilt or is good, I'll pick it up for you.

G

I might have a pair still from when I went to the Toyo truck conversion. I'll look tomorrow if you are still stuck and Paul's buddy comes up blank.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Brosky said:
Julian,

I'm going down to the Cape early tomorrow morning to a friends with a lot of TR6 parts. he's going to look for your caliper. If he has one that can be rebuilt or is good, I'll pick it up for you.

That's very kind: thank you Paul. Would he have any spare wheels: my Ebay purchase fell through (the seller was robbed, apparently!).

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
alana said:
I might have a pair still from when I went to the Toyo truck conversion. I'll look tomorrow if you are still stuck and Paul's buddy comes up blank.

Great: let's see if I'm lucky with Paul first.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Sorry, but Kevin doesn't have any calipers at all. And no wheels either. All I got was an upper steering column housing that I wanted to play with.

I just saw some wheels on eBay last night.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Thanks for looking anyway, Paul.

alana - do you have one?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Julian- There was a guy in our classified that had some.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Hi Don,

Do you have his contact details?

Thanks!