• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TVR 280i

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
I usually read this forum to catch up with info for my MGB and TR7 but was wondering if anyone else out there has a TVR.
Rick Hansen

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Well,

According to "Member's Rides" pictures there is one TVR (as I recall 1980's wedge model like yours) on BCF over in England.

Don't recall any discussion with other TVR owners much on here. I don't think TVR's are all that common over here in North America, the most common would be the 1970's M-series models.

Anyway enjoy your car and how unusual it is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif - not too many of those wedge-series cars here. I've heard they are fun cars to drive.

rovernut

Jedi Trainee
Contrary to Sherlock,s post there are quite a few TVR,s around........They also had a dealership on Eglinton Ave near the Golden Mile in the 70,s.......My father almost bought one in 1975 but bought a Chevelle (ARG) instead......TVR of North America put on an open house 2 weeks ago in Scarborough, Ontario a few blocks from the original dealership.......There are 4 TVR,s in my one car club (one like yours....a 280i) and I know 3 other TVR owners who are in another club.......One of them is a Griffith......MINT....simply awesome

Bill Robertson <font color="blue"> </font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
There are quite a large number of TVRs from the the early to mid 1980s here in the Northwest. My friend had a red Tasmin with the Ford 6cyl. The transmission tunnel in that thing was so large you needed a taxi to get from the driver's seat into the passenger seat.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Although I don't own a TVR, I've been going to the "TVR Woodwork" events for years. These are the national US meets for the TVR club and are held each Fall in Round Valley, NJ. Always great fun, often with international visitors.
In '97, I even got to meet Trevor Wilkenson at a Woodwork event. Last year I drove over with my race-Spridget, following an friend's GT-40. We met lots of MG and Mini friends there too....it's not just for TVRs (though they are the focus of the event).
Obviously, it's kind of hike for you, but if you could work in a visit to family/friends or whatever, it's well worth it. Even if you don't go, check out the pictures posted.

Link to 2004 Woodwork:

https://www.tvrna.com/

V

vagt6

At the "Hunt Country Classic" car show last October near Arlington, VA, held by the Capitol (D.C.) MG Car Club, there were a couple of nice TVRs, both with V/8 engines, if I remember correctly. There always seem to be a couple of TVRs at the larger, regional shows over here in the mid-Atlantic states. And, it always a pleasure to see them.

Very good-looking cars and tons of fun to drive, I'm sure.

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
Sorry to be late in chiming in on this thread. I just joined the group. There are approximately 400 active members currently of the TVR Car Club North America which represents a portion of the TVRs that have been imported over here between the late '50s and mid 80's. the M-series is the most numerous followed by the wedge-shaped Tasmin/280i series. We also have a lot of owners of the V8 powered Griffiths among our membership.
Yes the cars are very much fun to drive and if you ever drive one, you'll probably want one.

OP
H

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
Thanks for the thread MrTVR,
Forgot I wrote that. I know of 4 280i's in my area (Orlando). Should get a picture but we can never all get together.
Thanks
Rick

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
Rick,
If you ever do run across any of the rest of them, do try to get a snapshot. Also, it would be nice to get as many of you as possible as active members of the TVR Car Club North America.

Bob_Carroll

Freshman Member
Just thought I'd put my two cents (or two TVRs) worth in. I just joined this forum to get some info on a problem with the TR6 motivation in my '73 TVR 2500M. It's a great car - as is my '86 TVR 280i. I just bought both of them last June, but they're currently my two favorites in the collection. Photos of both can be found at www.midlifeclassics.com

-Bob

G

I love TVR 2500Ms. Was looking for one, but came across another rare british car a '69 Lotus Europa S2. The TVR would be more practical as an everyday car though. Maybe I'll find a nice one in the future!

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
I almost traded my first 2500M for a 1974 Europa many years ago but thought better of it. I've now been driving TVRs for almost 30 years and wouldn't be without one!

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think TVR's are all that common over here in North America, the most common would be the 1970's M-series models.

[/ QUOTE ]
There is an active TVR group in the Denver area and there are generally at least 5 or 6, including a Griffith, at the annual English Motoring Conclave in September.

The Griffith, together with the Sunbeam Tiger and, of course, the Cobra, are my favorite V-8 British cars of the '60s. Lightweight LBCs with American muscle--the dream of every red-blooded '60s hot rodder out there (or am I the only one?)!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
Yes, the TVRs did turnout well for the 21st Annual Conclave in September with 1800S, Vixens, a 2500, several 2500Ms and
a 3000S, I believe. This is part of the Western Region
membership of the TVR Car Club North America. You are right, MGA Steve, that such V8 powered cars as the Griffith(and also the TVR Tuscan), the Tiger and the Cobra were favorites of many of us of that era and still are today for their raw power, phenomenal performance, and pure fun factor.