• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge TR7 Project

kibbis

Freshman Member
Hello! I'm new to the forum and I'm looking forward to talking with everyone. My father and I are looking to start a project together and we were hoping to start with an MG or a Tr7, mainly because of the prices (and we like wedgies:highly_amused:smile:, and go from there. I checked the regular CL, ebay, forum sites, but if anyone knows of anything in the PA area, I would be interested for more details. We looked at a few that turned up, but they were a bit over priced for what they were offering.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hi Kibbis, welcome to the asylum! Sorry I can't help with a car, you're a bit far away from me.

But I will caution you about TR7 motors. Because of several unique features, it is quite possible to have a motor that was "running when parked", or even running now; but ruined beyond economical repair. For example, the overhead cam runs directly against the aluminum head casting, there are no bearing inserts and not really enough margin to add inserts. It's also not unusual to find that corrosion has ruined the head, or even locked it to the studs until it cannot be removed! New head castings were NLA the last time I checked, and good used ones are like hen's teeth (and priced accordingly).

I'm not trying to scare you off of a TR7, just warning you to be certain the engine is sound before you buy. Rebuilding the engine can easily cost more than the car is worth, which is why so many of the cars for sale cheap have engine problems.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
^Good advice there^ OTOH, the Triumph Spitfire can be an eminently doable project with fine parts availability and still for sale at reasonable prices.

In addition (though it almost pains me to suggest it) MGs - both Bs and Midgets are also reasonable choices for projects. In any case - unless you have experience with body & paint work - you will want to avoid rust issues on any of these cars.

trglory

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have a friend in Chambersburg that might be able to help. If you are interested, PM me and I'll put you in touch with him.

OP
K

kibbis

Freshman Member
Yeah I've been reading up on the head issue. Especially the head gasket. There is one near me on CL that I have been going back and forth with the owner. It has 65k original miles and he sent me a video today of the engine running. Sputtered a bit because it's still cold here, but it warmed up and ran OK. It's completely apart interior wise though, will probably need shocks and brakes, and it will need a paint job. Carbs should probably be cleaned as well. I'm ok with the interior rebuild, paint...I'd have to get a friend of mine to do it, or get a cheap coat on until I can save up the cash to get a proper paint job. But I'm skeptic. It's been sitting for quite a while and not inspected since 99. His price is <1000 though.

I wouldn't be against a Spitfire. but check this out:
https://reading.craigslist.org/cto/4869347473.html

This guy has quite the collection. I spoke with him today, but I think he is going to hold on to them until he can get the price he wants. All are rusty and need a decent amount of work (he has a beat up tr7 on there for about 2100). He's a nice guy, but seems to know mre about italian than british and i think he thinks they are worth more than they are. Unless I'm just cheap....I haven't seen many in the area for a better price/condition yet.

MG is an option, but I'd prefer Triumph. I did see one on here for a good price, but it's a few states away. One in York, PA on CL but it has no floor....literally. So we'll see. The search is on though, which is kind of fun. Not in a huge rush, but I'm looking forward to finding something in the area. I appreciate the advise here guys. Thanks.

OP
K

kibbis

Freshman Member
BTW, are the later models (80-81) built better? I hear the quality improved but I don't know if that included the engine as well.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I don't know where Fleetwood is but in eastern Ohio from Youngstown to Akron there are a bunch of 7s around here. If you don't mind a little more traveling from Sandusky to Toledo OH. I check often check Craigs List because my son wants a TR8.

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
How much of a project are you looking for? I have a 80 on the back yard that was my first project. A second project found me shortly after I bought the first one and now I have 2 (plus other projects as well). It needs some help but would be inexpensive. PM me if interested. George

OP
K

kibbis

Freshman Member
Fleetwood is Eastern PA. About an hour north of Philly. It would be a drive, but it would certainly be worth a look. Thanks! I'll snoop around the CL in that area.

OP
K

kibbis

Freshman Member
How much of a project are you looking for? I have a 80 on the back yard that was my first project. A second project found me shortly after I bought the first one and now I have 2 (plus other projects as well). It needs some help but would be inexpensive. PM me if interested. George

PM'd!

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Buy the best one you can find, won't cost much but will save a ton of money. Projects will present themselves. They come up out West frequently, and shipping can be cheaper than body work. Once sorted they are great cars, fun but very usable and will eat lots of miles comfortably.