• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Today's Diesela adventure.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Alternator replacement and the right front caliper... while futzin' about in there I found the throttle linkage floppin' around, barely hangin' to the pivot point on the firewall. I drove the car a few days before and thought the turbo had finally gone Tango Uniform. Turns out the poly bushing that the throttle pivots in had turned to dust. Now WHERE on a Saturday afternoon would I find a specialty Benz bit???

Herself has a collection of "stuff". Ribbons, bobbins, beads, old keyboard parts... about anything shiny or remotely intact ends up in her pile of treasures. Well she had some outsized wooden beads... Whacked a quarter-inch off'n two sides, augered out the hole to allow shaft fit, Presto!!! Custom Benz Bits!! Who sez these cars are expensive to maintain?!?! Not after a lifetime of keepin' LBC's runnin' any way possible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Sounds like an excellent cheap fix! I've started getting parts for my Alfa to bring it back to life. Just ordered a fuel pump and regulator, next I'll be ordering silicone replacements for all the vacuum hoses under the hood... I wish I had some just lying around in my wifes junk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I can just imagine the conversation down the road,"What a DPO! Why in the (you know what) would anybody do that?" hehehehehe

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
mehheh. Can't wait to show it off to my M-B tech pals! They'll roll their eyes an' shake their heads... "Doc's at it again.."

Then show me their newest diagnostic computer interface and tell me about how the latest V-12 MAF sensors are mis-matched. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Herself has a collection of "stuff"...... old keyboard parts...

[/ QUOTE ]

I would imagine 'Smits has a very large pile of those, eh Doc?

Jeff

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And you are responsible in no small measure there, Jeff.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
excellent job Doc! That remindes me of when I had to come up with a door handle cable for a Ferrari 308 in a hurry.. (No- it wasen't me that broke it).. I got the old one out and thought "man this looks like a bicycle brake cable."
Guess where I got a new Ferrari door cable.
And the lawn mower throttle cable I used to replace the rotten seat adjuster cable in the Jag...
That kinda stuff makes me chuckle

R6MGS

Yoda
My odd part fix is kinda the reverse of those...The hose for my shop vac broke where the flexy part connects to the adapter at the end....Found a perfect coupler on an old MGA heater box.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
On th' subject of cables: Owning the Elan S-3 for years I got tired of window cable failure. Went to a boat rigging shop and got stainless guy-wire (think sailboat masts) in several diameters... NO more failures. And the Ferrari thing... cable was on-hand when those things would show up.

I love "rigging"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Herself has a collection of "stuff". Ribbons, bobbins, beads, old keyboard parts... about anything shiny or remotely intact ends up in her pile of treasures. Well she had some outsized wooden beads... Whacked a quarter-inch off'n two sides, augered out the hole to allow shaft fit, Presto!!! Custom Benz Bits!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wooden beads, huh? So now you'll have to get an annual termite inspection on 'er! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Mickey

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup. That and check for possible dry-rot... tho under-hood of a diesel it'd more likely be a simple soot removal exercise. YUCK.

Diesela is a 'dirty girl' indeed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Pretty soft wood... somewhat "dampening" and decidedly not teak. That woulda been too much vibration "feedback" at the loud pedal. Now on to re-enforcing the broken air cleaner bracket...

Mebbe some old Atari bits in her "collection" will contribute! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Mercedes Pong?

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Atari bits were exchew'd in favor of... of... Ready?

ALFA bits!!! The "D" washer from a GTV door bolt was *just right* to secure the broken bracket piece to the manifold.

Diesela is slowly becoming a Hybrid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif And in under an HOUR, start to finish! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

hehehehhe... I guess that's OK, the Germans and Italians seem to get along most of the time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Horsemits

Country flag
Finally, a home for the bead. Although the bead was over twenty years young, it finally paid for the $.20 I paid for it back in the late 70's. I've got three more if'n anyone is interested. Askin' price $1.20 plus shippin'. (A saving of $44.99 plus tax over OEM PRICE). Keyboard parts, perhaps?
($2.00 for a spacebar...$1.00 for F1 key)

Sorry, can't have my bike cable! Still attached.
"****, now I can merge onto the interstate without closin' my eyes"

Horsemits

Country flag
Hey, if anyone's interested, I'll send the instructions on how to change out the "O" ring on a cd rom drive with a set of tweezers and a crochet hook. (Doc challenged me by saying it couldn't be done). I know he just trolled me to the challenge.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:SNEER: