• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Today's chores

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Porsche 928's have a fuse and control box in the right side footwell, all wires are brown. Without a 'map' and/or prior training, anyone would be befuddled. I'd swear they did it to keep the independent shops from doing any work on 'em.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Friend of mine rewired his British car with solid color wires to his choosing. Car would not start by button and windshield wiper motor gave me a second degree burn, as it was on at all times. Fried his generator and regulator. Had to all be rebuilt. Car would only start by jumping the coil. He got worried when his Petronix was threatened by the faults. Asked me to trace it. I said "No!" "If you had saved time and money with a new harness, I could look at the colors and find problem in minutes." Took him a week to retrace his wiring.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'll admit to adding relays and wiring to the '64 MGB but bought specifically color appropriate wire matching the original colors for the various devices. And added the diagrams to the workshop manual. Anybody need a half spool of purple wire? :wink-new:

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The spools of wire probable cost about what British wiring charge per meter but at least it is the correct colour code for the job.

Put the spool on the market place section of the forum you may find someone looking for purple wire.

David

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
naaah. I'll keep it in case someone wants a different horn circuit in their LBC. I used it to add a set of air horns with a console switch to switch between the original meepers and the air horn compressor. .

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
A good replacement for the Meepers?

David
horn.jpg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
They look like they came off a submarine.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Well, off of subject...but I have a set of Nathan train horns on my Lorry.
I will not bore you with a picture of my wiring poles.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
DavidApp said:
A good replacement for the Meepers?

Egad. I opted for a set of Fiamm ones. Well hidden beside the regular meepers. I see thete's a Zed-S carb gasket there, too.

D. said:
Well, off of subject...but I have a set of Nathan train horns on my Lorry.

Yeah, but thread drift is kinda normal around here. :wink:

How th' heck do you power those things?!? Let alone find space for the whole rig...

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Got them from someone in my wife's family. No telling where they came from but they are 6 volt and loud. Probable a logging truck or similar.

The TR3 Meepers seem to make a kind of "Excuse me" sound.

David

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Yeah, but thread drift is kinda normal around here. :wink:

true that!

I had to go back to the first post to see what it was about - and I started it! :grin:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
David, those are a good set of replacement meepers. I have a similar pair somewhere that came off of an old KB9 IH that I intended to out in my 52 pick-up once upon a time. Now I just need to go find them and install them.