• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The State of Indiana Doesn't Know What a MG is

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Until computer databases I could insure the Elan cheaply. Agent would comb over a book to see what to charge but couldn't find "Lotus Elan" in the list. Told 'em it was equivalent to a four cylinder two-door Ford convertible. Can't get away with that anymore...

Country flag
Had someone walking by once tell me he felt I shouldn't have customized the "corvette" as he didn't think it looked good. I was in my 3.8 E type...

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"Hmmm... possible copyright infringement. There is a Mini import business in CA called MiniGuy operated by a guy named Mike Lewis."

It might be the same guy.

I always used to have people ask if my Spitfire was a MG. I have the same problem in modern parts stores with my IHs, I always have someone who is dumb enough to ask, "who made that?"

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Walt said:
I always have someone who is dumb enough to ask, "who made that?"

Happens to me in most of the chain parts stores. Fan belt and a part number given, then the question:"Who makes it?" No matter what I answer, it's the deer-in-the-headlights syndrome. Finally they cross-ref the part number and bring me the part. Same with spark plugs, even with "WR-9-DP" or "RN-9Y" they insist on knowing what the car is. "1969 Alfa Romeo GTV." "Who makes it?" GAH. THE ITALIANS!

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I just go to certain people that know me or have seen the cars at parts stores. I'll stand by and wait, when the lady says, have you been helped, ok maam, I'm waiting on him... then I just give Chevy part numbers to generic chevy cars.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I dread having to sell my TR6. The VIN on the title has an extra digit - a 6, making it a 6-digit number. Do I just continue the error or try to get a new correct title? I think a DPO or DMV idiot stuck in the extra 6 because it's a 6-cylinder car.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
it's probably worth not bringing it to their attention... let a sleeping dog lie :rolleye:

dklawson

Yoda
I dread having to sell my TR6. The VIN on the title has an extra digit - a 6, making it a 6-digit number.

Each time we have added an old British car to the family we run into disbelief from DMV workers. "The VIN number is too short. What are the rest of the digits?"

... It might be the same guy.

I finally remembered how to look at the member list for this board. It probably is the same Mike Lewis as the new MiniGuy is from the same town in CA.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I get all kinds of sideways glances when I tell people that it's an Austin Healey Sprite. With some people I say "It's an MG Midget with different badging" and they get it. The most common question I get is "Are you the original owner?" Good heavens...do I really look that old? While I'm sure I would have been thrilled if my parents bought me one for my second birthday, I probably wouldn't be able to reach the pedals.

Another time someone said "So nice of you to take your granddaughter out for a ride." Ugh. Just because my car is old doesn't mean I'm old!

Funny thing is, I get the "V-8 in a Sprite" comments, too. There should be a lot more of them out there based on the comments, lol.

dklawson

Yoda
Funny thing is, I get the "V-8 in a Sprite" comments, too. There should be a lot more of them out there based on the comments, lol.

Just Google for images of "MG Midget V8" and "AH Sprite V8". There are lots of examples. Most of the Google images are better examples. The poorly done ones don't justify saving the pictures.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
'Each time we have added an old British car to the family we run into disbelief from DMV workers. "The VIN number is too short. What are the rest of the digits?"'

I get that with my old stuff all the time. I just changed the insurance on my 52 IH over to Geico and had to take the title into the local office so that they could verify that it only has a six digit serial number and no modern VIN.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just Google for images of "MG Midget V8" and "AH Sprite V8". There are lots of examples. Most of the Google images are better examples. The poorly done ones don't justify saving the pictures.

I just did that... funny how some third party website called engine swap depot has all my pics up on their site.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Wanted to put a viper v10 in the triumph GT6, enough room. Way more cost effective and easy to put an LS engine and turbos.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
In the mid-seventies a pal stuffed a Rover V-8 into a bugeye, the thing would swap ends in an eyeblink. Scary fast too.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I live in a military town and when I worked at the garage we did a couple of V8 conversions. I remember shoehorning a 350 into a MGB, a LS1 into a Nissan 240SX, the highest quality build of this sort we did was a 5.0 Ford into an AH3000.

D

Deleted member 8987

When I was in college, a fellow student or even faculty, had what I recall as a TD (but might have been a TF) with a 327. He'd get behind me going home, windows on my car would rattle at stoplights. Heads stuck out the side where the bonnet side panels had been removed. Generator WAY out.
If I recall my 1950 Ford would beat it off the line....just because all that power and zero traction he's sit there in a cloud of tire smoke.

The next was on Treasure Island while attending ET"A" school....TD with Volvo 4-cyl and trans....neat install. Quick glance, twin SU's on right side...had to do more than a quick look.