• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The internet and the BCF

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
"The internet is filled with mis-information." - Abraham Lincoln

Country flag
"The internet is filled with mis-information." - Abraham Lincoln

Or considering what the internet is so full of perhaps that should be Miss - information...

Having grown up in a small town and being pretty much the only LBC I ever saw in those days I didn't have a network in the 70s. And the "old geezer" was more liable to shoo you away from the service station garage since he didn't want to work on "British junk". I had to learn to do most things myself and these days there's not much of anything I'm not willing to tackle. But it is great to be able to share what I've learned and converse with folks literally all over the world who without the net wouldn't know I existed, or I them.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
We used to have a European Car Parts store and a dealer called Continental Cars, where you could find maintenance parts for your LBC. If you were lucky and made friends with the parts people you could get a discount by showing up more than 3 times a month. Back then the Jaguar dealer would actually sell parts for you old Jag and could order I whatever you needed. Then the late 80s hit and that was a bygone. I had bought every manual I could get on any LBC ( which I still have today ). You just needed a typical hotrod mentality and dig in and repair and fix whatever you had. Then Fuel Injection came out and the dealers no longer had carburetor guys. Then electronics moved in and no tech at the dealers can fix anything without an R N R attitude. Nothing is rebuilt anymore. In 49 yrs. of automotive work I have always told anybody who wants to work on a LBC buy a manual and read it. Worked for me! Worked for a Marine dealership for a while, only because I could read the manuals. Today with more modern MINIs and Land Rovers, still possible with thought and diagnostics. Just like the old days. I once tore apart 2 Cortinas and made one good one. My neighbor is a Master Nissan Tech and said there is now way he could ever do that. He has to send out his Harley and Ford truck for repairs and he went to tech school. Stay as a member of BCF and help support the site so we may continue to help each other. Make sure we get the spiders to join so Basil can keep up the site and hopefully he will have a long and everlasting life so we can continue sharing info.

Country flag
Worked for a Marine dealership for a while, only because I could read the manuals.

Not unique to just auto repair, in my line doing large mainframe systems support I was once told I was the company expert on several pieces of software. All because I was willing to open the then paper manulas and look it up...

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Don't know where I'd be if it wasn't for the belly button lint collectors forum! :scared:

I thought that navel looked familiar. Wow. Small world!

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Omphaloskepsis. :p

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK, the secrets out. Here's where it comes from …

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag