• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Stereo Speakers

MidgetLover

My Midget looks and feels original. The only thing missing is the air pump (kill me CA).

Why my rocker panel is still black with the iconic MIDGET letters.

What did all of you folks do about Stereo Speakers?

I am looking for ideas I could live with. Was thinking of just putting in so 6x9 Boxes behind the seats, this way nothing gets cut. But lets see other ideares.

V

vagt6

My Midget has some nice 10" speakers installed in the boot panel behind the seats. Undoubtedly the best place for speakers in a Midget, all that's needed is a nice, round cut in the panel.

Where else would they fit? :rolleyes:

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Another vote for Headrest Speakers. Originally a pair of 6 x 9" in the back deck worked for slow speeds but crusing at high speeds no. Love the Miata Seats I installed. Here's what I started with. Since I drive solo 95% of the time have Miata Speakers on DS hooked up and rear 6 x 9's on the other channel. Found out that running both PS and DS Headrests + the 6 x 9's was too much for my CD Player. Started blowing power fuses at high volume levels. Solution, DS + 6 x 9 only.

Attachments

• 25572.jpg
    25572.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 306

RickB

Yoda
I put a pair of Sony Xplode 6x9 quads in the rear separator wall.
To me they sound great.

dfwip

If you don't want to cut up your car, there are few options.
Here is a pic of what I did. The fact that I retained the stock appearance meant the couple extra points I needed in a recent show to place above a really beautiful E-type.

Paul

Attachments

• 25573.jpg
    25573.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 293

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I did that too - but don't like the sound - no bass, am contemplating two skinny speakers under the seats.

dfwip

JP is right...the sound quality is quite a compromise.
I really worked at getting it as good as possible while restoring the car. Since that time, I have driven the car about 1200 miles (since May) and have yet to turn on the radio or even THINK about turning it on. Wish I hadn't obsessed so much over the whole speaker(s) issue. Guess I just don't want any distraction to the driving......or maybe I'm just old.

Paul

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Naaaaa, it is just that the exhaust sounds so fine. Music would be a waste.

dfwip

Lol....Jack, it's kinda strange.
I have enjoyed really fine car audio for over 20 years.
Yet, even on long drives, I've yet to even think about turning the stereo on in the Midget. Sure hope it works....

Paul

Country flag
I like having the radio for when I get stuck in traffic and for the drive-in. Other than that, it doesn't seem necessary.

OP
M

MidgetLover

In my radio console box, I have added an optional Smith's clock. While there is room there is not a huge amount. I am leaning towards building a couple of boxes and then just use quick clips. This way if I ever show it I could just take them out.

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
Ahh, the quandary of stereos and speakers in our LBCs. After 30+ years in Minis, I know it only too well.

Here's how I have dealt with it in the Midget. Keep in mind, it's my daily driver, and I'm not shy about modifications if it makes my driving more comfortable.

Oh...and I know, my car is filthy. I saw this thread this morning, and thought I'd just shoot a few quick pics for you guys. And I did not clean a darn thing first. :blush:

Overall view:

PICT0029-1.jpg

PICT0021-2.jpg

The car had a pair of speakers mounted in the rear wall, as is usual. I decided to leave that in place (although I did upgrade the speakers themselves.)

I then added the second set below them. I simply wanted a bit more 'ummph' when the top is down. These are mounted in a false panel. No cutting of the car was done here. (Not that I'm overly shy about doing that, mind you...):

PICT0022-3.jpg

You will notice the seats do not match. I had installed Miata chairs, but mine was killing my back. So I removed it, and installed a Kirkey racing seat, and then built it to fit my bad back. I had got used to having the headrest speakers, so I took advantage of the racing seatbelt slot in the Kirkey to mount a couple small speakers:

PICT0019-3.jpg

PICT0018-1.jpg

As has been mentioned, using all these speakers can be too much for a little car stereo. In this case, I've wired the four rear speakers directly from my car stereo, which it is designed to do. Due to the dimensions of my stereo, I mounted the console at a more inclined angle, and installed the stereo where a set of small speakers had previously been. This allows enough depth for the length of my stereo. The console is the stock item; I covered it with a wood facia, just because:

PICT0023-1.jpg

For the headrest speakers, I'm running two very small amplifiers, one per seat. These amps are made for motorcycle installations. I have mounted them where the car stereo usually resides, and designed the facia to hide them:

PICT0024-1.jpg

Yes, the facia is held in place with velcro. I was not sure I would like the wood, and wanted an easy way out...

Anyway, the system sounds good, especially with the top up, but it's fine top-down-at-speed as well.

My solution won't serve for everyone, but perhaps it'll give some of you food for thought.

Now I'm off to work. I'll be listening to Zeppelin this morning. <span style="font-style: italic">Houses of the Holy</span>, if you're curious...

:yesnod:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nice, I'll be listening to A-40 at 4K this morning, sometimes up to 5K just for fun.

Sure make folks turn and look and smile.

LOL

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
A guy I knew who built speakers for a living told me to never ever mount speakers to metal or anything soft or flexible, but attach them to the hardest wood you can find and it will give the best sound. That is what I tried to do with the midget.
In the rear I used wood and got it all fastened really tight, and in the front, I made triangular boxes of plastic and fiberglass.
100_1398-1.jpg

100_1396.jpg

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My tip is marine speakers
buy speakers from a boat catalog that are designed to get wet

steve