• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Socket Organization

Basil

Administrator
Boss
As I'm sure you know, there are a lot of methods out there for organizing your sockets. I've used several different methods, most recently I had these little plastic sheets with appropriately cut holes that you put the sockets in. The sheets are placed flat in the drawer. This worked ok, but the socket sizes were embossed into the black plastic and were hard to see. I've also user those socket mounting bars that have little square socket holders on a long bar to which you click on the sockets - similar to how the socket attaches to the socket wrench.

Well, recently I saw a system that really looked like a better system. It's a series of holders comprised of a plastic base with little rods sticking up. At the base of each rod is a small round base that allows each socket to fit upside down perfectly. The advantages of this system are 1) the size of each socket is printed at the top of each rod and thus easy to see 2) It takes up less space for a given number of sockets and 3) the sockets stay in place much better (than the system with the holes). I bought two sets, one for SAE and one for Metric, to accommodate 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 inch drive sockets. Here's a picture of the system as installed in my mobile rolling tool cart. AS you can see, each tray has the little bars to accommodate deep well sockets as well as another set for standard shallow depth sockets. The black trays are Metric and the Red are SAE:

Tool Organize.jpg

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Won't work for me, I have too many double and triple tools. One isn't enough in most jobs, so have to have multiples. Sometimes I do not look for a dropped tool, just reach for another, look for it when done. Having 10 big tool boxes, I would spend a fortune on the holders. I label the drawers, and still cannot always find what I had reorganized earlier when I added d something new. Like the new yellow box.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Won't work for me, I have too many double and triple tools. One isn't enough in most jobs, so have to have multiples. Sometimes I do not look for a dropped tool, just reach for another, look for it when done. Having 10 big tool boxes, I would spend a fortune on the holders. I label the drawers, and still cannot always find what I had reorganized earlier when I added d something new. Like the new yellow box.
I too have lots of duplicate sockets. But you’re right this might not be a good solution for everyone but it works great for me. I have more sockets in my bigger tool box also, but only using this system in my roll around cart (for now). I ended up with duplicates usually because I have misplaced a socket I need, so go buy another, then find the original lost one!

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Been twisting wrenchs for 56 yrs. From trans jacks, hoists, engine support rods, body tools,.paint guns, welding tools and diagnostics up the whazoo. 28' of metal wall cabinets over 28' bench. Side wall of parts on wooden made shelves 10' high, 2' wide on 30' wall with Vintage Jag , Rover and domestic car parts. Windows are gone in photo, needed cabinet space.

Attachments

• IMG_20141124_200312.jpg
    IMG_20141124_200312.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20141124_200433.jpg
    IMG_20141124_200433.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20141226_145655_kindlephoto-12273996.jpg
    IMG_20141226_145655_kindlephoto-12273996.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20160414_151300.jpg
    IMG_20160414_151300.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 47

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Is that the Mini engine on the right?
With a shoehorn and a good torch 'n welder!!!

My main box has the most used sockets, SAE in the front section, metric in the back. Two other roll cabs and "portable" boxes have the duplicates. I like the metal rack organizers, can usually look at a socket (or bolt head) and know what size it is. Like Larry, been doing this a looong time. The half-inch impact and "odd" big sockets go with th' "windy" (air wrench) in a drawer in the lower box.

sockets1.JPG

sockets2.JPG

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Would be a job to get that in a Mini. Thought of a V-12 in one if the MK1s. But, need to restore the one first.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Been twisting wrenchs for 56 yrs. From trans jacks, hoists, engine support rods, body tools,.paint guns, welding tools and diagnostics up the whazoo. 28' of metal wall cabinets over 28' bench. Side wall of parts on wooden made shelves 10' high, 2' wide on 30' wall with Vintage Jag , Rover and domestic car parts. Windows are gone in photo, needed cabinet space.
You’re a few steps beyond a hobbyist 😎

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I keep the driveway full so no one wants work done. Have a couple friends come over, help, learn and shoot the breeze. No compliants over prices, time or why nots? Enjoying now. Best is I don't need to buy tools, got'em.