• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 slight vibration in GT6, with power

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
I have a small problem that I can't seem to figure out. I need help from the group so I know what to look for.

When you give the car gas you get a slight vibration in the hole time you give it gas. When you let off it goes away or if you push in on the clutch it goes away.

You can feel it in the floor of the car. It isn't a bad shake or anything like that it feels like someone turned on a vibrator and attached it to the body of the car.

Any ideas what to look at?

V

vagt6

Vibration is hard to diagnose, I'd start with the easy stuff first.

1) Are your tires/wheels in balance? This is a biggie, easy to fix. Unbalanced tires or warped wheels can make the car feel like it's coming apart at the seams. Take wheels/tires to a good tire shop, have them spin balanced. Costs about $20 per wheel, or so.

2) Propshaft is a common source of vibration and get out of whack sometimes.

3) Are your u-joints in good condition? Any play (there should be none);

Check the easy stuff first. With an old car it could be practically anything, including the diff, gearbox and others. The above stuff is where vibes often occur, check them first and let us know.

Good luck!

booley

Jedi Trainee
The fact that the vibration goes away when you let off the gas or push in the clutch might eliminate a tire or wheel problem...unless you have wirewheels, and the splines are worn(BTDT)
As Mark suggests, check all your u-joints. Do you hear any clunking sounds when you let off the gas?
Is the vibration the same in every gear? If it seems to change depending on which gear you're in, could help narrow it down to the transmission...
Try jacking up the rear of the car and listen for unusual sounds when turning one wheel. Or if the car is on jackstands, do it under power.

I had a '69 GT6 that had a small vibration(more like a buzzzz)at speed. Turned out to be the splash guards that the p.o. had put on were loose!(simple repair after fearing the worst!)

OP
T

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
I am going to have the wheels balanced and while I have them off I am going to check the u joints.

booley

Jedi Trainee
tomgt6 said:
When you give the car gas you get a slight vibration in the hole time you give it gas. When you let off it goes away or if you push in on the clutch it goes away.

I think that unbalanced wheels would give you a constant vibration. If it goes away when coasting, that suggests it's somewhere in the drivetrain...