• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shower door fitted.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:winner1:

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Wait.

Just wait... :devilgrin:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK doc, I’m under way with my deck project. Pulling up the old wood boards is a bear.
EF39236B-8A4E-4FCB-87E2-CF1D838017A4.jpg 0EE17AE5-113F-464B-86A9-05D5AFEF2283.jpg

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ellot, cut the old boards in half it's easier to manage and pull that way.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ellot, cut the old boards in half it's easier to manage and pull that way.
That’s exactly what I’ve been doing. What makes it hard is that the builder used nails with ribs on them so they wouldn’t pull out. On top of that many of the heads break off from the pressure put on them.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Here you go Don...
9AA803F6-5120-47F2-B83B-C1DC79C46F7D.jpg

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Geez Elliot, You just made your work harder making them that small
Those nails are rimshanks and almost impossible to get out.
So they are serving their pupose so to speak.
If you had just cut the boards in half you could use leverage with a crow bar to pull them up
I had to cut quite a few of my nails off because they didn't use galvie's. They probably were rusted by the time they finished the deck things rust that fast here

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Geez Elliot, You just made your work harder making them that small
Those nails are rimshanks and almost impossible to get out.
So they are serving their pupose so to speak.
If you had just cut the boards in half you could use leverage with a crow bar to pull them up
I had to cut quite a few of my nails off because they didn't use galvie's. They probably were rusted by the time they finished the deck things rust that fast here
I soon learned that about cutting the boards short. After that photo was taken I started cutting the boards in half. As you say, it’s still a PITA getting the nails out. When the head breaks, I put my visegrip on it and use the prybar on it and they’ve been coming out.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
sometimes Easier to break them off
Knock em back and forth a couple of times
Rim shanks will snap off easy

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I am cheap. Worked hard to get the boards up in one piece. Some were shot but most were OK just weathered. I have been using the old boards for all sorts of things. TR3 frame stand fore one.

David

Frame stand.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Love the "repurposing", David.

I built our overhead kitchen cabinets with 1/2" MDO, it was previously signage. A pal has a sign shop and one of his clients wanted their signs updated, so when he removed the old ones he asked if I could use the material. "Ayup!"

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Waste not want not was one of my Mothers favorite sayings. She lived through the blitz in London so making do and re purposing was a way of life.

Also cut some up into angled pieces so I could fill in the angle at the base of the roof truss and do a walkway. Got tired of balancing on the trusses as I made my way through the attic.

David

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Would not have wanted the checked ,ugly, splintered 1" garbage that was on our deck

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
I picked up one of these a while back. I'd never used one but it seemed like a good idea and was on sale (I may have also used it to hit a free shipping minimum from the supplier).

Anyway, it turned out to be one of the better tool investments I've made. It works really well.

https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2007/11/14/the-extractor-extracting-pliers-review
https://www.nailextractor.com/

Crescent makes a similar tool. You should find them in you local OshDepLowes. But I haven't tried theirs.