• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

SEM Color Coat and ribbed door panels

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Anyone had experience with SEM Color Coat? About five years ago I received a set of black ribbed rubber door panel inserts as part of a package from Heritage Trim. I never got around to installing them on the original Whitephrog. About six months ago I decided to try to use them on the new Whitephrog. As the new Phrog had red trim I begin to look for the right product and color to use on the inserts. After way to much research I decided to use SEM Color Coat Flexible Coating in Portola Red (a great match to Cherry Red). The can reads that the product "is an elastomeric coating formulated to match, restore or change the color of plastic, vinyl, carpet and velour"

The problem is that after six months the painted surface of the insert is still a bit sticky. I discovered this a few days ago when I laid a lent filled cloth on the insert. The lent stuck to the insert. It will come off with some effort but I'm not sure I want to install these on the doors if I'm going to have this constant problem.

Advice??

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Think I would call the folks that make the product.

OP
W

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Your right Jack. Should have started with them. I went to the SEM website and found that when manufacturers "use a high amount of plasticizers [in the item being coated] they may bleed and leave a tacky coated surface". I've sent an email to SEM with a specific inquiry as to the solution. I suspect that they will recommend one of their clear coats.

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I bought new interior panels from Moss for my Mk 2 Sprite. The color was called red but it was not a good match for my carpets that also came from Moss. I used the SEM Portolo red on the vinyl panels and I am very pleased with the results. Prior to applying the color I used their cleaner and that gave me a good surface to apply the color to. It dried very quickly and the panels look great. I enhanced them even more by putting a product called Vinyl and Rubber Dressing on them. They have a fantastic look now. The dressing came from a place called Griot's Garage on line. NFI. I wonder if your rubber panels chemistry is just too different frim my vinyl or if maybe you didn't prepare the surface satisfactorily.

dklawson

Yoda
I have used SEM on several vinyl panels on our Mini and our Spitfire. The results have been excellent. I have never tried SEM on anything else... except a small bit of carpet on some of the door cards. I did not find the product to be sticky after a few hours. Nelson may be right that the tackiness is a reaction to whatever material the Bugeye panels are made from.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ray - did you get the ribbed rubber for the inside of the BugEye doors from Heritage Trim? I had a look at their web-site but only found their photo gallery and it wasn't clear to me that they had the ribbed rubber available - I thought it was impossible to find (?).
Thanks,
Doug

OP
W

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The ribbed rubber inserts came from Heritage as part of their BE panel kit. They have the correct look (ribs per inch, etc) but are heavy and rather stiff. Much harder to install than the original would have been.

AH Spares sells the inserts separate from their panel kit. Their part number is XTRP145. Cost is about $27.00 for the set of ribbed inserts.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tis my understanding that the door rubber is actually found at the hardware now a days. Think runners for commercial halls.

OP
W

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Jack

I looked at all that stuff in local hardware stores, HD and Lowes. Runner material,etal. I searched websites and got samples from various manufacturers. Didn't find anything practical. There is a ribbed clear vinyl/plastic "kitchen shelf liner" that I thought hard about using. Bought some about a year ago and used Rustoleum Plastic paint. Didn't like the result. I may give that another try with this SEM Color Coat.

OP
W

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Mark

You reminded me that I had a sample of Rubber Cal Fine Ribbed. I compared it to the material from Heritage. The Rubber Cal material may be slightly thinner (a good thing)and is much more flexible. I may order a bit from them and start this process again.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
I painted my entire interior with SEM in their camel-tan color. Panels, dash, seats, steering wheel, you name it. I cleaned each bit with detergent, followed up with their cleaner and vinyl prep, and sprayed and sprayed until all the black was gone, about 6 thin coats as I recall. By the book, flash times and everything. Nothing came out tacky for me. More than a year later, and there's only a little black showing where the tonneau rubs at the front of the dash, some wear-thru starting on the bottom seat cushion, and a slight circular shadow around the window crank. The only flaking or peeling, oddly, is the horn button.

FWIW :smile: