• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Scams using Microsofts name

Country flag
I recently read that you should never speak to the people as then your voice can be used to voice activate other identity theft scams - I don’t answer unknown callers or any 800 number.

Generally, this is on the home line answering machine so don't speak to anyone, but it is annoying to some days have upwards of a dozen scams in a day.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Got one of those "Microsoft" calls, I said:"You've got bogus info, Slick. We only run Linux here." and they hung up. Still get a few robo-calls, the answering machine will have a couple "messages" with recorded solicitations, usually just "dead air".

pdplot said:
If it's a potential client, they'll leave a message.

Yup. :iagree:

Country flag
Had one guy I reduced to yelling at me and threatening to have me arrested. Told me my computer had phoned home to say it was infected and that I was required by law to run something to allow them in. Well, said I wasn't home, he said "go home I will remain on the phone with you". Said I couldn't since I was at work. He then told me I was violating the "implied" contract with Microsoft that was in force when I bought my machine and I would be arrested if I didn't comply immediately. At that point I said "Microsoft?? I run a Mac", which I don't but figured it might throw him off. But no, the answer was that Microsoft's "implied" access contract covered all makes and I was ordered to let them in. At that point I was tired of playing with him and hung up. He called back to try his "how to curse in English" guidebook. Yea, right, go try that on someone else...

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"I said:"You've got bogus info, Slick. We only run Linux here." and they hung up"

Ten minutes later I'm sure you got a call from Linux saying that you needed to give them all your personal information.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Naah. Haven't had another call since.