• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Registration as Historic Vehicle

TriumphGT6

If a cop stops you in a Historic Vehicle, and it is not being used for historic purposes, what happens? I was wondering because I run around (not to work or school) town for fun with it and was wondering if I can get a ticket for running with a Historical Vehicle Plate. I was wondering if I can do anything if I have a period plate that I can't with a historical plate?

I need to know so I don't make a huge mistake.

Thanks,
GT6

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Before I started the resto on my TR3, I had Historical plates. (New York). I just had them because that's what the collector car insurance company wanted. It didn't affect how I drove the car, that was dictated by the insurance. Basically, no more then 2500 miles/year, don't drive to work, had to be garaged, no shopping malls, etc.

Collector insurance is starting to get a little less restrictive these days, especially with respect to mileage.

These cars are meant to be enjoyed, and driving them is where the enjoyment comes from, not car shows and parades.

Check with the insurance company, as they really have the final say, at least in New York they do.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I suppose you need to check your state's laws on this -- probably a call to DMV/BMV/whatever will let you know if there are any restrictions.

Usually (my limited experience in 3 states) states charge extra for the plate and just consider it a special-interest item like plates for amateur radio operators, veterans, university alumni, etc and do not change the status of the vehicle.

Insurance coverage is another matter though.

OP
T

TriumphGT6

In Michigan the plate is $30 for 10 years of use. $3 per year. I am planning on switching to Haggerty Insurance very soon.

The car is not used for transporting anything, groceries or people, its for fun and its only parking spots are my house and my aunts house, not any parking lots.

G

In New Jersey classic/antique registration, or what we call "QQ" (the plates always start with the letters QQ) is a one time only charge. You have to renew it every year but there is no charge for the renewal. Anyway, there are restrictions for this registration, the vehicle can only be used for educational or exhibition purposes and not for daily commute or transport. However, I've been driving my cars with QQ registrations all over, at all times, and never been pulled over just for that. I did have a friend who had a 66 Impala with classic plates that was using the car for a daily driver for a few weeks while his normal car was having body work done. A cop saw him several times on the same route at rush hour in the morning and did pull him over for it. Thats the only time I've personally heard of this happening in NJ. I talked to a friend of mine who's a cop down in Cherry Hill (across the river from Philly) and he sort of confirmed this. he said they won't really bug someone unless it becomes obvious that the person is using the car for a daily driver, like if they see him repeatedly going to the same spot at the same time of day, that kind of thing.

Overall I think you're OK with historic registration, as others have said the insurance is usually far more restrictive since they are the ones that would have to potentially pay out on a claim, not the state.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Contrast that with Arizona where the cost is the same as a regular plate plus a $25 set-up the first year and an additional $10 per year after that.

Since Michigan is pricing it way below regular plates then I think you are right to suspect they have some expectation that the car will not be used much. Definitely worth checking.

Stinky

Jedi Trainee
I have run Historic tags here in Maryland off and on for many years. I've never had, or heard of any hassles from the police over them.
I suppose they don't bother us because it would be easy to come up with a lie as to why we are driving the car,...like we just repaired something and we are on a test drive, or we are taking it to a shop to work on it, or whatever.
If we get 3 or more cars together it is enough to be considered a "cruise", which is leagal here anytime.

As for insurance, I looked into Haggerty when I bought my TR. The guys in the local TR club told me to stay away from Haggerty. I could'nt quote all the reasons for avoiding Haggerty, but there were many reasons.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Most states only stipulate that a vehicle utilizing collector plates cannot be used as a work or commuter vehicle, and used only for show or pleasure. It varies from state-to-state, but this tends to be the rule, rather than the exception.

As far as "Date of Manufacture" plates, most states treat the DOM plates as collector vehicle plates. In Washington, for instance, the same exact rules and one-time fees applied to my '69 Vette (with '69 plates) as the my other cars with collector vehicle plates.

In Washington, as with other states, there is a minimum age of 30 years for collector vehicle plates. I've heard some states were going to 25 years.

I have NEVER heard of any cop pulling over a vehicle with collector plates for a use violation. My father-in-law even uses his '67 El Camino to haul gas cans, and has been followed by police close enough to see the cans and the license, yet he has never been stopped. Although he should, since driving an El Camino should be a crime in itself!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard some states were going to 25 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's 25 years here in Jersey for classic plates, has been since I was a kid.

RHWins

In the Grand Rapids area, the police would probably not notice; if they noticed, they probably would not know what to call the offence. It's probably "improper use of registration" a $80+/- fine; but most likely a friendly chat about your car, and a warning assuming you are friendly toward the officer and you have a good driving record. Regular plates for the car are only $29.00 per year. Get 'em and enjoy your drive.

Miles64

Freshman Member
In Alabama (where almost all vehicles could qualify as antique)the 25 year rule applies. So many people were buying "Antique Vehicle" plates (there is a one time charge for these in Alabama)that the state changed the statute. To qualify you must be driving to or from a car show, cruise-in,club meeting, maintenance garage, or an organized cruise. As with other states, a lot depends on the local police. In the Birmingham area, you can be pulled over in some of the upscale suburbs, but generally, if your car is an obvious "collector car" you can go anywhere you please.

CaptDon01

I run "ANTIQUE" plate on my TR3B here in Kansas.....the state has no restrictions for vehicles with antique plate. I also insure with Allstate, VERY cheap, and again, no restrictions on driving, just limited to like 6-8K miles a years.

Don

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I have run Historic tags here in Maryland off and on for many years. I've never had, or heard of any hassles from the police over them.
I suppose they don't bother us because it would be easy to come up with a lie as to why we are driving the car,...like we just repaired something and we are on a test drive, or we are taking it to a shop to work on it, or whatever.
If we get 3 or more cars together it is enough to be considered a "cruise", which is leagal here anytime.

As for insurance, I looked into Haggerty when I bought my TR. The guys in the local TR club told me to stay away from Haggerty. I could'nt quote all the reasons for avoiding Haggerty, but there were many reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got Haggert & no problems so far, yet I haven't made any claims. Can you provide some backup??

Stinky

Jedi Trainee
As I recall the major beef was with the restrictions they placed on driving the car, also restrictions on storing the car. The car "Had" to be garaged at all times. I actually had to provide a picture of the garage, and after that a Rep was gonna come out and check it out.

So if you go on a road trip for a week or so you're outta luck, and also outta insurance coverage. Lot's of loopholes and restrictions.

Also the agent I spoke to was very pushy.

The local TR guys recommended using whatever Insurance Co. I used for my other vehicles (State Farm). That's what I did, it costs a bit more, but I feel more comfortable dealing with a company that I'm already familiar with, and a company does'nt put any restrictions on me.

So I feel like I'm covered no matter what happens. With Haggerty I felt like there was too much opportunity for them to find a way to not cover me if something happened.

G

That's odd because it contrasts with my experience with them.

I have 15k agreed value on a 73 TR6, 2500 mi/pa limit - It's registered as Historic so the limit is fine. Car has to be normally garaged and I had to provide our other insurance docs because I have higher than normal coverage (250/500) and wanted this to match.

I'm the only covered driver - which I wanted (and as we have 3 cars for 2 people so they know it's not a daily driver). All I had to provide was one photo, which I emailed to them. Coverage was $140pa and it took a day to approve. They faxed me the coverage so I could register the car straight away. No-one came to check out the house or wanted pics of the garage or anything else.

We have AllState for the others - they told me to call Hagerty when I told them what I had. I did call direct - maybe that made a difference.

Stinky

Jedi Trainee
The Haggerty agent I spoke to also tried to get me to switch all my other vehicles(4 total) over to him too.

Perhaps it depends on which agent you get to talk to.

G

It must - I never got a hard sell. I'm the sort of person that hangs up as soon as any of that stuff starts.

Dugger

I also have had a good experience with Hagerty Insurance for my TR6. $10K coverage, 3 free tows/year , 3600mile/yr restriction, and only a picture was required - cost ~$120/yr, plus no hard sell.
I guess it just depends on the agent.

OP
T

TriumphGT6

I insured it yesterday afternoon. Haggerty evaluated it as being worth $8000 of agreed value, this car has not been restored and is going to be this winter.

The coverage cost me $140 per year and its is my mom's name with me as an occasional driver (i'm really the ONLY driver). They insured my 1973 Honda ST90 too for $68 for $3500 worth of coverage!

I don't know about the restrictions but I drove the car only 900 miles last year, and about 150 miles this year. I think once the car is restored this winter (frame reblasted and body work done) I will have them re-evaluate it.

Thanks for the help!
GT6

zimmy

Jedi Knight
search YAHOO for your DMV and there should be outlines for the license on the web page somewhere....zimmy