• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Rare TR6

WedgeWorks

Jedi Trainee
I was visiting At Speed Motorsports and in the showroom area was a yellow TR6. More of an orange like Topaz. It was an extremely rare one of ten or so left hand drive fuel injected TR6s. I have to say a lot of time was put into the restoration and it was well done!

IMG00730.jpg

IMG00731.jpg

IMG00736.jpg

V

vagt6

That is one nice example! Rare, indeed. In fact, maybe too rare to drive.

Thanks for the photos. :yesnod:

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Nice - would be very interesting to drive and compare. Maybe one of us needs to go visit our friends in the UK and hire a PI car?

I'll volunteer :smile:

swift6

Yoda
I don't buy that rarity comment. Left Hand Drive PI TR6's were available in other parts of Europe than just Belgium. Though Triumphs were assembled in Belgium from CKD (Complete Knock Down) Kits. Many Triumphs were sent to Australia the same way. It would take more than a type written sheet put together by the current dealer to convince me of that level of rarity. Official documentation from BMHIT would do it. LHD TR6 PI's are rare, but not that rare.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Remember, it wasn't just the PI that gave the injected engines the extra 40 HP. There was a compression increase along with a very aggressive cam. In fact, the cam caused drivablity issues, so they had to tone it down and then the engine put out about 125 HP. I forget what year they did that. I see no real reason to even consider the Triumph injection system...more trouble then it's worth. If you want the extra power, you can get it easily enough with head and cam work, and keep the carbs...maybe go to three SUs.

It sure does look nice though. :smile:

OP
WedgeWorks

WedgeWorks

Jedi Trainee
A Heritage Certificate would be nice but would it supply that kind of information? From what I have seen they keep production numbers off.

swift6

Yoda
A heritage certificate wouldn't show production numbers, but a similar search through the archives could document it better. Saying there are only 10 cars (maximum) like it is a bit too easy of a number. I've left a message/contact with a member of 6-pack that regularly visits the archives. He may have some other interesting info on the subject.

OP
WedgeWorks

WedgeWorks

Jedi Trainee
I know the records pre 1975 are much better than later. I have a TR8 coupe that the archives have ZERO records for the VIN.....

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
swift6 said:
LHD TR6 PI's are rare, but not that rare.
:iagree:
Maybe he's thinking of the 5 or so LHD TR5s that were imported to the US before the importer got caught.

The PI is cool, definitely, but Kas Kastner claimed he could get more power from a pair of Strombergs.

swift6

Yoda
Heard back from the member of another forum that regularly visits the BMHIT archives. From his information...

"With regard to left have drive PI TR6 there were 3600 assembled at the Malines factory in Belgium mainly for Holland, Belgium, France, Germany and Italy. Left hand drive PI TR6 were also assembled at Canley however I don't have exact figures. From the statistics that I do have circa 600 LHD were exported from Canley to countries such as Greece, Spain, Norway, Denmark, Switzerland, Yogoslavia, Congo, Tenerife and Iran so that would make some 4200 in total the bulk of these going to Switzerland. If it was assembled in Belgium it would have a commission number starting with either 1CP or 1CR.

I have a record of 1 x PI TR6 being exported to Equador and that is CP25789-L which is a Canley assembled TR6. It had engine no CP26008HE. Other TR6 PI exported to South America, I only have data for the years 1969 to 1972, include 16 to Guatemala, 1 to Mexico, 2 to Brazil, and 1 to SanSalvador."

I passed on the commision number listed on that info sheet. Will have to see what he comes back with.

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Though I've considered finding a TR-5 from time to time (not that I can afford it, mind you), I share the following anecdote. I was in my TR-250 a few years back when a gentleman crossing the street in front of me noticed the car and got very excited. He came up to me and said, with a French accent, that he had a TR-5 in 1968 in France. He said that the PI was such a bloody mess that after a year or so, he removed it and had it replaced it with twin Strombergs. He concluded by saying "Ah, ze TR-250. So much better zan ze TR-5!"

Right on brother!

swift6

Yoda
Some details recorded for CP53666L are engine number CP53340HE, colour Saffron Yellow, Trim 11, exported to San Salvador which is of course the capital city of El Salvador.

May be the only LHD PI imported to El Salvador, but it was built in Canely, not Belgium. Definitely more than 5-10 LHD PI TR6's though. Still, an interesting history with that car.