• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Purging Stuff

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
The three things that pile up & are hardest to properly be rid of, for me anyway:
old cans of paint
old computers & electronics
any papers that have personal identification #'s on them or are tax related.

problem with purging:. You can dispose of piles of stuff, but when you turn around ........the garage looks just the same.

the paint and electronics we have can be recycled at specific areas, any papers I don't need are shredded and burned, and even though I don't have a garage the basement still looks the same after
You are absolutely correct Guy

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
on letting go:

"Nothing in life really stays. And it's beautiful that they go. They have to go in order for the next thing to come. You can almost add beauty to a thing by accepting that it's temporary."

Paul McCartney

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
that must have been the drug induced days

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
on letting go:

"Nothing in life really stays. And it's beautiful that they go. They have to go in order for the next thing to come. You can almost add beauty to a thing by accepting that it's temporary."
Paul McCartney

As I recall, he also wrote "why, why says the junk in the yard." :rolleye:

Last edited:

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Between this thread and Doug's "Storing Stuff" thread, somewhere George Carlin is smirking!
Ha

George Carlin......the tell-it-like-it-is statesman for the 60's.
"you got two crumbs, Man!"
7E3A6A2B-B19D-4A5D-8161-3592FED804E9-3895-000006EAB86E7A58.jpeg

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
And what half is he in? :rolleyes2: PJ

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
We went through the purge back in 2015 before moving at the end of the year. I got rid of lots of car books and posters, but passed them on to people who I volunteer with at America On Wheels Museum, so I know they are still appreciated. My music library was digitized to some extent, and the 45's ended up in the museum juke boxes, the albums were sold to the local used record shop where they can be appreciated again, and the CD's were sold at a garage sale, making a lot of people happy to expand their libraries. Sadly, the TR3B was sold because we lost a lot of garage space. An antiques dealer took a bit of the better stuff for pennies on the dollar, but hopefully some of them found new homes. A lot of other items went to Goodwill, and some went onto the trash pickup pile where people scavenged it before the truck took the rest. But I did not purge my toy car collection, and I am currently working on building a whole new Brooklands Speedway slot car layout to replace the one that I demolished for the move.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Man! " Brooklands slot car Speedway " looks like a masterpiece.

Dave, can you give us some specs on the cars & layout, etc. (perhaps in a new thread?)

i used to race them back in the 60's at the Bronco Bowl bowling ally in OakCliff Tx.

but haven't thought about it in 50 years.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I ran into the owner of the auto electric place that has to move because of being
displaced by the pot growers,at the local recycling center.He was getting rid of all of his Mitchell manuals,
as he has them on his computer.
I was proud of myself,as I passed on taking them,but I did save the 1966 Dodge Dart/Coronet
factory shop manual.Couldn't see that go away.Now to find someone interested in it......

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Got so much stuff in the garage that I have gotten or purchased over the years. I repacked everything in clear containers and restacked on the shelves with labels. Threw out a lot of old rusty stuff and then put some in a storage unit with a parts car. Purge done.