• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Our County has just abandoned recycling.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
You can get cut on them as you struggle to get the item out of the package. I hate the packages of AA and AAA batteries. There is no way to get a few batteries out of the package without destroying the pack and spilling the rest of the batteries.

Life is easier now almost everything goes in the trash. Seems wrong to me but all I can recycle now is steel and aluminium.
They are having issues at the "Convenience Center" with the compactors because the cardboard boxes are jamming them up. They want the cardboard separated and put in the big dumpster.

Seems Georgia is not the only place with recycling issues.

David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB5S_jEo-e4

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You can get cut on them as you struggle to get the item out of the package. I hate the packages of AA and AAA batteries. There is no way to get a few batteries out of the package without destroying the pack and spilling the rest of the batteries.
Try using a knife to cut a folding "window" in the back of the package. Works for me. And the cardboard back is a lot less likely to cut you.

Yes, everywhere in the US is having recycling issues. A large part of the actual recycling was happening in China; now they have enough trash of their own and don't want ours any more. Maybe eventually, we'll build the infrastructure to do our own, but don't hold your breath.

IIRC, though, the original CA bottle/can deposit law did require any store that collected deposits had to also refund them if you returned the bottle or can. Certainly that's the way it worked back in the 60s, when I used to pick up pocket change by going around and asking if I could return bottles for people.

And while I don't know where they are taking them, there must be someplace nearby that is returning deposits. I saw someone just yesterday going through a trash bin and picking out the cans. My gardener hauls away all our bottles & cans, so he's obviously getting something for them as well.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
We (the town) pay for the service, which keeps us mindful of how much trash we produce.
Garbage In, Garbage Out. Gotta put it somewhere.
As someone has already inferred here, it's not going to get any less considering the loss of brick and mortar stores.

As I work at Sturbridge Village, I'm always reminded about how *little* trash was produced by households in the 19th century. Commercial packaging? Hardly existed at all, and when it was used, it was natural materials like straw, wood, carton, burlap, etc.
Tom M.
Yeh, I'm ready to go back to the 19th century. Will my Healey run very well on Lamp Oil.
Sorry I'm cynical about this. From what I see it's all going to the same landfill. Just in our case it is deposited in different sections of the landfill. Maybe it's the landfill management practices that make this to make some kind of sense but what's the difference if it is buried separately or together. Since synthetic materials have been the salvation of our loss of "natural material" I believe the answer lies in developement of synthetic packageing material that is Biodegradable.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Some of the cartons use to have a window pre perforated but that seems to have been discontinued now. I will try the do it your self window on the next pack.

Seem to remember a scandal in the bottle/can recycling industry a few years ago. The cans and bottles would be redeemed for cash then collected for recycling but would get diverted on the way to the recycler and redeemed for cash again.

The inability to recycle plastic is a little understandable because there are so many types of plastic but cardboard, glass, paper and aluminium cans should be easier to deal with. I collect our aluminium cans and get cash for them when I have enough to be worth driving to the metal recycle center.

In a few hundred years they will be mining our land fills. The Hot dogs found will still be edible.

David

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
There are several large landfills in south Florida. One near us is still in use but has areas for birders and RC airplane flying. Another near Lantana is now a golf course - Park Ridge, aka Garbaggio.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Our local landfill has been partially closed and grassed over. The road that goes by it has been named to "Overland Way" and they have built houses on the landfill. At least I when I say built I mean moved in manufactured homes. The residents do not remember it was called "Landfill road" locally.

David

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Our local dump has always hired people to sort the trash and recycle. They have a moving conveyor and the people pick out the types that are recycled. That way we dummies don't put something in the wrong bin.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
They already do recycle Styrofoam in some places, just not very many. I found a map at
https://www.homeforfoam.com/foam-101/foam-recycling-centers that shows a big hole for the state of New Mexico; but at least one in most states.
Some types (like foam cups) can even be recycled by mail.
https://www.homeforfoam.com/homes-and-businesses

That's very interesting! I had always thought Styrofoam could not be recycled. Looks like they can make a lot of useful products from the recycled "EPS". Thanks for sharing.

Country flag
Isn't also a replacement for "penuts" at least using a corn starch type material that degrades, particularly when explsed to water?? Seems I recall that at one point.

When I look at my garbage, I wish I cold get rid of all the junk mail, some weeks make up 2/3 of what I throw away. I order one thing and get 20 catalogs forever from all the affiliated companies it seems. And years later, still getting them even though I've ordered nothing from them, you'd think they'd get tired of spending the postage, mimimal though it may be at bulk rates.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Went to the Convenience center today to dump our trash and found they have new Recycle Bins. One with a long narrow slot for cardboard and one for plastic, newspaper etc.
I call that a Win. It pained me to dump everything in the trash pile.

David

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I built in two kitchen bins, garbage/trash in one, recycle stuff in the other. The pick-up for trash here is twice a week, recycle and yard waste, once each. Most kitchen "organics" get fed to the 'pig' (the Insinkerator). Sometimes think I'm wasting my time separating stuff, I see some neighbors' bins crammed with all sorts, garbage in the recycle bins, no real effort to bag or contain trash. When the trucks pick it up, the light stuff will fly out into the streets.

The county has a great-giant incinerator for trash, amazing what folks will throw into their bins and not be consumed by the fire. Got a tour of the facility while going through a local leadership program, saw old TV's and car parts among the ashes coming down the conveyor from the furnace! Asked one of the workers if that was a common occurrence, he laughed and affirmed. They use size first, then magnets to help separate what they can. All in all it's a fairly efficient system.

The careless way most folks behave when it comes to disposing of stuff just re-enforces my notion that a lot of pigs are two-legged.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
The careless way most folks behave when it comes to disposing of stuff just re-enforces my notion that a lot of pigs are two-legged.

pogo.jpg

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
We keep our place as clean as possible, actually 20 acres, but the pigs run down the road and throw everything imaginable out their window not giving two hoots about anyone else. Our road frontage is 1500 feet which I mow. I have to go that whole length picking up trash before I mow, you would not believe the stuff I find! I do know that most around here are Budweiser drinkers. :soapbox:

Oh yeah, McDonalds fans contribute quite a bit also.:ziplip:

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Interesting fact
Most garbage comes off of garbage trucks

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Same behavior here as you see, Paul. Beer cans, McD bags, all manner of 'snack' containers. And we're in a subdivision.

Interesting fact
Most garbage comes off of garbage trucks

Likely because a lot of people neglect to BAG their garbage.