• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Opel GT

huck6

Jedi Trainee
Any thoughts on the "baby vette"? I always liked them as a kid and they seem pretty rare today. I was wondering if that is due to indifference and if so, why?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I loved the GT when it came out (and I wasn't a kid then!), and still think it's a neat design. Probably weren't accepted at the time because they were "foreign" and were underpowered, compared to other cars.

Probably rare today due to rust, neglect, and just being overlooked.

One car I wish I'd kept is the first new car my wife and I bought - a '73 Celica ST. Can't remember the last time I saw one of those, and there were plenty at the time (same with the Capri those years, and the Opel 1900 - later the Manta).

Mickey

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I remember those. My college roomate had one, but he traded it for an ALFA GT1300. I recall being surprized that they were steel and not fiberglass.
They were sort of OK, but the Kadett (sedan) was really the car I liked, especially after they started doing so well in the SCCA ShowRoom Stock class. I saw the original Car & Driver magazine "00" car race a number of times.
Classic Opels were well-know for good handling due to a very well located live rear axle (sort of like an ALFA)
If you are into "modern Opels" you need only look at the "big" Saturn (here in the US). And Cadllac sold a lightly re-vamped Opel a few years ago.
I was surprised to see any still racing, but in the 2005 SCCA Runoffs race (at Mid-Ohio race track) there was an Opel GT racing in the production class. I believe that they are allowed to run the Euro-Opel fuel-injection on these racers. There was also an MGA, 914, FIAT, Mini and some other classics in that race as well as "moderns"......some great cars to see and the MGA won!
Here's Drake's Opel GT in the earlier (2002) Runoffs:
run03_gt4_duo.jpg

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I always liked the styling of these cars... much more so than the Nissan/Datsun "Z cars" of the same era...

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
.... but the Kadett (sedan) was really the car I liked, especially after they started doing so well in the SCCA ShowRoom Stock class. I saw the original Car & Driver magazine "00" car race a number of times.
Classic Opels were well-know for good handling due to a very well located live rear axle (sort of like an ALFA)...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nial, I remember the Opel that did so well in early Showroom Stock as the "1900" - maybe my memory is incorrect (wouldn't be the first time.)

This class sold a lot of cars back then. Opel had a small surge (sold by Buick dealers I think) and in later years some of the other makes benefitted as well. I bought a VW Scirocco after first seeing it run SS.

[ This taught me not to buy street cars based on their racing abilities only. ]

Bret

Yoda
I always liked them styling-wise. Had a service buddy who owned one and it was a great car for two but three you’d better all be hobbits because the guy in back is going to be miserable. I speak from personal experience when I say that & still get a twitch when I recall having to sit in the back of one from Ashville NC to Jacksonville NC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

From what I understand the roads have greatly improved since the late 70s drastically reducing the travel time but I was crammed in the back of that thing for better than 7-8 hours. Tried to get the guy riding shotgun to swap with me but he was a lot larger than I was and never would have fit.

Seat belt laws or not - never again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Borrowed one from a friend for a weekend once - heavy little sucker! Couldn't throw it around like my MG...& the visibility was as bad if not worse than my MG with the top up!

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
I think they are fun cars and might have first dibs one when if and when it sells.

What is real interesting is when someone drops a 350 V8 in one.
Bruce

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
From what I've heard they aren't much of a "sports car" despite the appearance (I suppose in much the same way a VW Karmann Ghia isn't a real sports car either).

Doesn't mean they aren't worth buying because of that... I know there is very active support in the United States for all Opels, there is even an American-based Opel GT forum...

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sherlock - our '71 Karmann Ghia is more fun to drive than the Opel GT, as I remember it.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I've always had a fondness for the Manta Rally (Rallye?).
I have a friend who refers to them as "German Fiats".

- Doug

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
The Opel GT is a great little car. In their day they had a very respectable racing and rallying record.

They have a very loyal following here and especially in Europe. I get the impression that the reason they seem more rare than some other cars of its day is that everybody has them stashed, waiting to be restored but hasn’t gotten around to it. Many are still daily drivers.

I actually see lots of them, but I’m in an Opel Family.

Here’s a couple pix from the 2005 Opel Club Picnic:
opel_05_a.jpg
opel_05_b.jpg

They’re generally easy to work on (but not as easy as a Manta, Ascona or Kadett) and if you know where to look parts availability is still good. Gil at https://www.opelgtsource.com/ has everything you need.

Because Opel has a very modular approach to manufacturing there are modern upgrades from other models that bolt right in (like DOHC, 4V engines, turbo engines and 5-speed gearboxes) and are available at reasonable prices in Euro salvage yards. Opel’s racing and rallying history has made lots of go-fast goodies available.

[ QUOTE ]
.. heavy little sucker! Couldn't throw it around like my MG...

[/ QUOTE ]According to the July ’71 issue of Road&Track the Opel GT weighed 2110 lbs, the MGB GT weighed 2345 lbs. ( In the performance tests the stock Opel trounced the stock MG).

[ QUOTE ]
..What is real interesting is when someone drops a 350 V8 in one…

[/ QUOTE ]It was very common to put big blocks in them for the drag strip.
race2.jpg

On the street big American iron (with something like a 90/10 f/r weight bias /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) is good for shredding tires but handling is miserable. On the other hand, I’ve seen one with a very clean fuel injected Rover Aluminum V8 installation.
eng1.jpg

They’re a great bargain for a specialty car too. Highly recommend.

PC.

SteveL

Jedi Trainee
Re: Opel GT and Mercury Capri II

Having been a Capri nut for the 25 years, and owning 5 of
them as I type, I can say for sure that what you experienced
with your Mk2 was an anomily, My Mk1s, all 4 of them don't
leak oil, the brake rotors haven't warped, they've gotten
over 200K miles without a rebuild, and are a good deal of
fun to go out and flog as often as possible. My Mk2 has
a V8 in it, with a T5, and 8" 4.11:1 geared Ford rear end,
and is more fun than a guy should be allowed to have...

The biggest problems Capris had, were american mechanics,
who didn't understand the "German way" of thinking, every
switch supplies the ground to the relay for each circuit,
not normal for that era of Cars, I've had to repair more
cobbled together stuff than you can shake a stick at, as
for the water pumps, there is another american rebuilder
problem, they just didn't get it, I've got a '73 2.6 in my
73 MG-B-GT, with over 100K miles on it, on the original
water pump...

SteveL

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag

I have always been a huge fan of the European Capri, I would take one of those any day over an Opel GT...

I have heard many positive overall reviews of Capri ownership from various people I've talked to, and great reviews of that V6 engine.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag

I liked the Capri as well, never drove the Mk1. The II and III cars I did get to drive. Great gearboxes on the Fords of that era. Only knew the British-built ones.

robert speed

i have owned 3 gt's over 15 yrs.last one sold 2yrs ago.they are nice around drivers,like a mgb,have owned both.a nice example is still cheap and you can drive them and get your money back in a few years or hold on. you will not go wrong.