• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oil leak contest

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
The Topeka Brits used to have an oil leak "competition" at our dinners.
Paper was placed under each car for 30 minutes or so ,then analyzed for number and sizes of
each spot, "winner" got a Qt of 40 wt. Until the day ,when two cars had identical sheets!
As I recall an MGB and a Sprite had 39 spots each, all identical in size and overall pattern!
We didnt have an extra prize. But the whole thing might have been a ploy by the host to
keep his drive clean........
Mad dog

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Love it. My favourite memory of my Florida club was the hosts of a BBQ handing out carpet squares as people arrived to save their driveway.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The Topeka Brits used to have an oil leak "competition" at our dinners.
Paper was placed under each car for 30 minutes or so ,then analyzed for number and sizes of
each spot, "winner" got a Qt of 40 wt. Until the day ,when two cars had identical sheets!
As I recall an MGB and a Sprite had 39 spots each, all identical in size and overall pattern!
We didnt have an extra prize. But the whole thing might have been a ploy by the host to
keep his drive clean........
Mad dog
I recall we had one of hose at Healey meet in South Lake Tahoe. Paper was placed under the cars at the car show. At our latest one, I brought a flattened cardboard box to put down.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
How about when you forget to put the drain plug back in -
do you win a prize for that?

DocDup1

Country flag
I actually watched a guy who was changing his oil and lost the drain plug. Before anyone could say something, he jumped in the car and drove off to the auto parts store to get a new one. He did not make it in time.

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
MD, you should write a book (or at least an article) of activity ideas. My dad had a 1960s book about car club activities, unfortunately I seem to have lost it. It suggested light entertainment like that and also explained how to set up and run gymkhanas, reliability runs, TSD rallyes... this is all great knowledge that seems to be evaporating. Little wonder that car clubs are nowhere near as active as they were 60 years ago.

Back to the hasty oil change discussion... I was at the track one time and heard a weird, loud scraping noise. Turned around to see a Formula Ford heading to grid, dragging an oil drain pan under it. Yes, the pan started off full, and yes, it was empty (with a big hole in the bottom) by the time anyone had a chance to stop him. Luckily(?) this was back when the paddock roads were still gravel, so no oil dry was needed.