• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New to the Austin Healey

giwplay1

Freshman Member
Country flag
I just turned 60 and started my search for a classic. I was born in Las Vegas, was a civil engineer in land development, married my college sweetheart and brought up two beautiful daughers. I am retired, live in Santa Clarita (Los Angeles County), love to sail, enjoy both dirt and street bikes (ues to race a Suzuki 750 on the track), and am now in the market for a 60's era classic. Originally, I was looking at the camaro, firebird, and mustang. But then I recalled my teenage dream of owning a shelby cobra. Sure, I can roar down the street in a sexy cobra, but then I started looking at some of the british sports cars. Afterall, sports car began in Europe ... right. Finally, I started looking more and more into the Austin Healey 3000 MKIII. I watched the racing videos and read about the history of the car. So now I am split betweein the Cobra and Healey, but which would be the better investment, and which would be more fun to drive, yet sexy. So many questions now have begun to surface regarding the Healey. Though nearly 18,000 cars were built with the majority sold in the states, am I going to have problems replacing parts? And then there are concerns about corrosion and then there is the aluminum to steel electroylysis concern. I am looking at spending $50K plus. I would spend more to find something that will require less restoration and just maintenance. Eventually, I would want to hire an expert in the Austin Healey to help me find the right car. So I am here on this site to learn and develope relationiships with other connoisseurs. Thank you

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Welcome and we are glad you are here! Sounds like you have a number of excellent possibilities.

Healey owners will be along in a moment and you may want to repost your questions in the Healey Forum. That said, a couple of thoughts.

1. 50k should buy you a nice Healey though they are appreciating. Parts are readily available.

2. Not sure how much Cobra you can get for that money.

Both will be appreciating cars.

You might also consider a Sunbeam Tiger - which is the 'forgotten' Cobra.

Welcome again and keep us posted.

OP
giwplay1

giwplay1

Freshman Member
Country flag
I remember finding a sunbeam in the Cotswolds' in England 20 years ago. I remember the owner wanting to sell it, but I didn't have the cash at the time. Thank you

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
$50k should get you a nice BJ8 that fit your requirements. They have been on a slow decline price-wise over the last few years, but the bottom is unlikely to drop out soon. Find an expert to help you choose. $50k will also buy you a very nice completed Factory Five Cobra, but they don't seem to hold their value well and you have to be careful with California kit car regulations to be sure you can register the one you want to buy. Build quality can be all over the place. If you're really crazy, like me, you can start looking at a Nasty Boy, a Healey with an American V8. They aren't as valuable as a stock Healey, but way more fun. But you really need to know your stuff before buying one of these. Some of them are hack jobs. This one on BaT didn't make reserve at $24k recently: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1957-austin-healey-100-6-bn4-4-seat-roadster-25/. I read recently Sunbeam Tiger values at auction dropped 15% this year. Don't know why and don't know if you would be in your price range.