• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My hooters

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Now that I have your attention, these are the horns in my car. Please pay no attention to the dismal condition of my engine bay.

hooters.jpg

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
These aren't original, right? The PO has a button rudely mounted on the center console that honks these. The button on the steering wheel doesn't work, probably because that 'pogo stick' thingy is broken. So how do I fix it when I put the original wheel on? Do I need to buy new hooters?

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
In the cluster of wires in the steering column, there will be a purple with Blue (I think) stripe wire that is the ground from the original horn circuit. You can still use that to operate your compesssor for your hooters. Just make sure that the lead to the compressor is hot and that the switch is in the ground side and is connected to the purple/blue wire leading back to the hub. The brush (AKA the thingy) operates through the hole in the hub and makes contact with the brass ring that the purple/blue wire is connected to and grounds the brush to the hub when you push the wheels horn button. Hence the ground switch completes the circuit, your compressor runs and blows air into your hooters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
ok... so maybe I was wrong with why I thought your horns sounded air hornish... it's because you really have air horns! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stock horns won't sound as obnoxious, but they might be a bit difficult to obtain new ones. Moss has mine on back order... you might have better luck with one of the other common places for getting parts though.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No, your hooters are false - fake - not what came with the package...now, I could send you a proper set of hooters for your hubby to play with!

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Oooh. New hooters? Would they...nope, not going there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

I'll talk to you about that when we send you a list Tony, and a Moss list.

LLAngus

Jedi Knight
If they are air hooters does that mean you can make them large or smaller. Yes, they are driven by a small air compressor located some where else and are attached to the horns by air lines.

Gee i thought the Horns were on top of her head...

mark

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
At first I though these were on Binabox, until I saw the RB grill in the pic.
The stalk switch can probably be repaired, but I can't remember all the details now. I believe you unscrew the tip to access the guts. I think there's a little pointy piece of plastic that creates the contact when you push the end of the stalk toward the steering column. Pretty simple stuff really...it'll all make sense when you take it apart.

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
Hiya Jaybird,

Hope you're well,..congrats on the new B.

Well now,..looks like you have some old, worn-out hooters there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif heeheehee

Anyway,..my mechanic is a bit of a purist, so it surprised me when he suggested replacing my broken hooters, with a set of German ones. The name is "Hella Horn",...and they're a hella set of hooters.

They sound pleasant, but are loud enough to get you noticed, none of that "lil toy car" sound /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hella.jpg

I put my B into storage last week,... yeppers, I rented an apartment for her /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ( I have no garage, and fear the driveway plow)
lol,..actually, used Public Storage,..ended up being $80. a month,..with electricity to plug in the charger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Plus,..they have to keep the lot plowed clean, so I can get in there every week, and take a spin around the compound /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck with the horns /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifJerry

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I intend to have TWO sets o' hooters in SWMBO's B... The original "meepers" (quite polite... anemic li'l "meeeep"!) an' a set o' Obnoxious FIAMM air horns. Switchover to be located onna centre console of my design. All will be completely removable so's originality can be restored if necessary.

Neighbor has a beautiful/wonderful/LOUD-AS-F&*% set o' air driven freight train horns on his truck, I WANT 'em but the compressor is about th' size of our engines... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

People tend to ~wet~ themselves if he sets them things off! They're th' only hooters I'm envious of.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
for electric horns the ones I have on my car have a bit of umph... well.. the low pitch horn does. The high pitched horn is anemic. The low pitched horn as enough umph for me to be ok with it alone til I find a good high pitch horn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I just noticed 106 people looked at my hooters. 9 replied. I wonder JUST what they thought they were going to find in here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Now we're "livening" up this site!

R6MGS

Yoda
My Blue 78 has the same hooters you've got....I can't remember what they sound like(been a while since I've touched that car) but I like the look of them so their staying.....I've got another question though, since were on the subject(and Jaybirds gotten everyones attention) the horn in the LE is a very high pitched little speak(kinda cute actually) but it isn't really gunna scare anyone into stopping...the car has the original black metal horn(s?) so am assuming that maybe the low pitched component is broken??any other things to check? with the original horns are the low and high seperate units?

Zack

R

Randi

[ QUOTE ]
I just noticed 106 people looked at my hooters. 9 replied. I wonder JUST what they thought they were going to find in here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Well I just checked in on all this ribald reparte and strickly for driver defense there are CLAXTONS installed on Maggie,54,59 56 Merc,Model A,36 Coupe, and a few others. Always on the lookout at swap meets- Most could have been used for air-raid's!!! Keeps people from getting tooooo close!!

Steve_S

Yoda
That's the first time I've heard a woman say she isn't sure if her hooters are real or not!

An original pair of hooters will not be difficult to obtain. I see used ones on eBay all the time. Many garages and parts yards will have them as well. I doubt they were specific to M.G. You can run one or two of them. I forget which years had two as standard and which years had one standard but two optional. I like the sound of two better since there is one low note and one high note.

I forget who's site this is but he has a photo of MGB horns on this page: https://64mgb.home.mchsi.com/64mgb_20000405.html