• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My daughter got her learner's permit today!

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well:
My daughter turned 16 today & the right of passage in MA is to run down to the RMV & get your learner's permit. That took all of a 20 min test & $30. She's been taking driver's ed class for 4 weeks so has learned the rules of the road.

I took her to a beach parking lot this weekend & let her drive my wife's Volvo, plus she gets to drive down our 400' long driveway.

Well, today she had to drive to school from the RMV. I got a few miles from the heavy congestion & she hopped in behind the wheel of my 2000 Landcruiser. A bit bigger than the Volvo!

She proceeded to drive 5-6 miles along a winding 30-40 mph road past construction zones, oncoming traffic & a number of hills. She probably looked like a drunk driver from behind as she sawed away at the wheel trying to keep my beast in the lane markings. My heart was beating 1000 mph the whole time.

Overall she did pretty good, except when she went for the brake & hit the gas; no harm done luckily.

I can't even remember the first time I drove legally on the road, it's been over 30 yrs, I can just imagine her excitement.

I'm planning on doing a BMWCC advanced course with her after she gets her full license.

Fortunately she says she hates my TR 250; we'll see, I think it's just when I'm driving her, but alas my classic ins. prohibits anyone under 25 from driving it anyway.

Just a few more grey hairs.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Gary -

Oh, man, can many of us relate! Our one son has done OK (he's 24 now), so there is hope!

Mickey

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Hi Gary:

I too can relate. Somehow my parents could not be bothered with this "right of passage", so, while the ink was still drying on my license, I took the responsibility of teaching five younger brothers how to drive.

First lessons involved the mechanical stuff - how things work and why, then we hit the roads in my '65 Corvair Corsa. That was 25 years ago and we are still maintaining excellent driving records!

Topic of discussion: is there a difference between defensive driving and agressive driving? GONZO

G

Man, you guys are all scaring me. My daughter is 5, so I've got a ways to go before I have to deal with all this. Maybe I'll get her started now so she can get ahead....

I don't remember my first time behind the wheel under my learners permit, but I vividly remember my first time out on my own after getting my license. Took off school that day, drove down to the DMV with my father. Passed the test, drove home and dropped dad off and took off with the car till late that night. Only beat part was I had to drive my fathers Ford Granada as I was still in the process of rebuilding the motor in my own car. None the less, it was wheels and freedom.

richardJr

Freshman Member
I can Imagine the grey hairs as the heart races 1000 mph as a 16 year old daughter drives your car. If it was your son...he'd want the tr250. I never had parents that understood what it was for a kid to have that freedom thence alot of quietly pushing the old man's car out of the driveway at night took place here. The one night when it came home with some damage was the last night I ever drove any family car ..lol. I bought my son the 71mgbgt we are working on right now. He is 11 now and I can't wait for him to start driving. It is a two seater so at least he won't be going out with too many of his male frinds and getting into too much trouble...(wishful thinking I know). Teach them respect early I say...and I am tring to instill the fact that a pretty girl looks alot better in a little british car than ...some long hair that knows only two syllables...tru dat?....groaning parent here. Congrats to your daughter...I can only imagine how excited she is!

usasma

Jedi Trainee
Ha, ha! I feel for all you folks! My oldest is old enough to drive, yet doesn't want a license /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Actually, it's a mixed bag because we're stuck chauferring him around until he does get one.

He loves my B-GT, but will never drive it because he's scared of the clutch (thank goodness)!

All in all, I think that I'd rather that he was driving!

Eric

Jedi Warrior
When my daughter got her licence, the best part was lying in bed dozing at 5 am, listening to her leaving to drive herself to hockey practice! No more hanging around a cold rink for an hour, 3 hours before sunrise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif There are benefits.

R6MGS

Yoda
I just got mine today.....Gunna be driving my Mom's Caddy STS untill some of the LBC's come out for the summer....I can't wait!!

Zack