• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGA MGAs in Perry, Iowa

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
Last Saturday, I attended a memorial service in Perry, Iowa, for my father-in-law, who died in March. After the service and lunch, we went "sight-seeing" in Perry. When we came out of the old, but now beautifully restored, five-star hotel, what should I see but two gorgeous MGAs sitting at the curb right at the front door. I turned to the two men walking in the door and asked one if he was the MGA owner. He said that he was and introduced himself--Ken Grant of Overland Park, Kansas--and and his friend--Brian Goldsmith of Council Bluffs, Iowa.

Seems they had just attended the 2nd Annual British and European Car Festival in Des Moines and decided to try the hotel before returning home. They had driven a black, 1600 Mk 2 and a white 1600 through summer thunder and hail storms to reach the show--no trailer queen MGAs in Iowa!

When I told them that I owned an 1956 1500 and lived in Colorado, Ken said that he had always wanted to come out to the Colorado British Motoring Conclave. I told him he was in luck because I am on the Conclave organizing committee. I gave them the Web address--www.ColoradoConclave.com, the September dates of the tour and show, and the location.

We sometimes meet other LBC enthusiasts in the most unexpected, out-of-the-way places! Who knew that tiny Perry (pop. 7,000), the town my father-in-law grew up in and is now buried near, would have a restored hotel that would attract LBC owners from another state? Wish I had taken a photo to share with BCF members of two of the most beautiful British roadsters ever built sitting in front of a grand old hotel. Spectacular!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

V

vagt6

It is a great way to meet nice folks!

While out cruising in my GT6 one sunny Sunday, I pulled in the Exxon to get gas and a perfect, 1957 TR3 pulled right in beside me. We met, exchanged business cards and went for a brief "caravan" cruise.

Today, that TR-3 driver is my physician!

OP
MGA Steve

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
I was at that show with my Midget and Sprite. The two cars you speak of were VERY nice cars. Especially the black car with the cloth? tan top.

[/ QUOTE ] It looks like a great show--thanks for the photos! Guess it would have been too much of a coincidence for you to have had photos of the two MGAs I saw. And that black beauty with the tan top was the one that really caught my eye when I came out of the hotel.

We would love to have you bring the Tiger to Colorado for the Conclave September 17-18, too. Last year, we had 7 Tigers and assorted Alpines, including one vintage racer, at the event. We hope to top 600 British vehicles--cars, Land Rovers, motorcycles--this year, so you won't see many more LBCs in one place than you will here. And the weather and changing aspen trees are always guaranteed to please at that time of year! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You know I thought I had taken pictures of them, I mean I parked right next to them, but I guess there were too many people looking at them to take a pic. I even forgot to take some pictures of my cars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif