• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGA MGA wanted,,,,still

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
Hey folks,

Looking for an MGA driver, ratty is fine with as little rust as possible. Have a 61 midget I want to strip down to the tub but would like to have a driver during its down time so I can drive the Midget while the A is apart afterwards.

I am in Denver so, well as close to Denver as possible is best.

PM me if you know of a car.

Jay

OP
Jayrz

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
Re: MGA wanted

Ok,

how about a driver anywhere in the continental US?

would prefer a car that can be driven so I can come get it.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

These are getting tougher to find in decent enough shape to use as daily drivers. I've seen cars that either are already restored or need almost everything redone. Every once and awhile comes along but you gotta keep looking.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag

I might have one - she is midway between driver and show. Located in California...

I'm not a super eager seller, but an open minded.

toysrrus

Yoda

Hi There tdskip;

I`m typ. on the Triumph Forum & then jumped over to the Jag section but there`s not too much going on there:

If you have some pics of your "A"; I`d be interested in seeing them if Jayrz has`nt done anything with yourself:

Please email myself directly;

Thanx and Regards, Russ

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight

Jayrz, the best way to flush out cars is with a money bait. The cars are out there but most owners think one price, and buyers think another. Be specific as to what you want and offer a realistic/slightly high price. They will appear. Remember, what may seem a bit high now, will seem a bargain in the not to distant future. MGA's are going up faster than most other tangible investments. They are hot right now and will be for quite some time. The dollar value as compared to the Euro is another big factor. We have the cars, they have the cash.

OP
Jayrz

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee

BOBoROCKS,

yes you are definately right. To Clarify what I am looking for is a "driver" roughish is OK, and what I want to spend is somewhere in the 5000-7500 range for such a car.

Maybe thats reasonable and perhaps not but its worth a try.

Thanks

OP
Jayrz

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee

thanks Bill,

"Sold as parts no title",,, not liking that part much though!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Minor problem at the best. Every state has a way to do it.

WA1KWA

Jedi Trainee

Sometimes used as a 'CYA' by the seller in case of any legal issues. For example, here in Massachusetts you cannot sell a car 'as is', a car has to be inspected within a few days (I don't recall the exact time frame)of registration. Say it does not pass, for whatever reason, you go back to DPO demanding satisfaction. He sold it to you as a parts car, therefore there was no guarantee it would pass inspection. This is a way around not being legally able to sell it 'as is'. Granted, it is a 50+ year old car, but, the law, at least here, does not show a distintion based on age. That MAY or MAY NOT be why it is listed as a parts car, all states are different.

Colin

marinmg

Hey Jay,
I own a 57 mga driver I purchased back in high school in '79. I also own two bugeyes, one is driving and one is a tub restoration.
You may want to re think the concept of having a mga driver while you are working on your midget tub restoration. You will find that you will be spending all your time keeping the mga as a running driver and won't have much time for the midget. I know since I am living that dream.
It is taking a lot longer than I ever expected (4 years and counting)

I would advise something like an old miata to get that convertable sportscar fix since it will run forever so you can focus on the midget. Then sell it when the midget is done. The right mga will come to you locally if you have the patience.

Liam
57 mga
59 bugeye
60 bugeye

Gordon Moore

Freshman Member

Jay,

There is an '59 MGA in New Mexico (albuquerque area) available. He's asking for $15K, more than you expressed a willingness to pay but the car is in excellent mechanical shape. Complete engine rebuild about 8 years ago with darned few miles put on it- I'd bet less than 1,500. Brakes, suspension, everything was done over. The owner works for me and I've monitored his use/progress. (I helped him rescue the car from a friends garage). It IS a NM car - been here along time, no cancer, solid frame.

He redid the interior, the works, spent a small fortune getting it back up to snuff.

Taos Garage did all the mechanical work. It has the original engine, oil cooler. You could probably fly down and drive it back to Denver.

The bad news? The paint is old and shows it - some hiarline cracks, road chips. Pretty as you drive by and nice at 25 feet. Not a show winner but nice looking Old English white.

If you are interested, you can call him at work (I'm his boss) at 1-800-821-1121. Ask for Frank McKenna

Gordon Moore
1953 TD
1960 MGA (1800)
1978 MGB (My daily driver)