• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lotus Elan +2 on Ebay

Country flag
That's got to be one of the most DPO things I've seen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

The muffler itself is just vulgar, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
but bashing the bodywork to get it to fit is criminal.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
I think its size is exaggerated by the extreme wide angle lens, but the muffler really needs to be replaced. I also think any bodywork that may have been altered was probably due to the minimum ground clearance under the thing.

Stil, it's a good looking car!

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I'd buy that for a dollar! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
However, if it were my car I would have opted to find a *different* muffler rather than bang up the body panels to make that one fit...

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
However, if it were my car I would have opted to find a *different* muffler rather than bang up the body panels to make that one fit...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree re the muffler but I don't think any body panels are "bashed" on that car. First of all, it's fiberglass, which would break in this area rather than bend, and second the orignal car had a relief moulded in that area for the original exhaust system (which I think was a lateral muffler which was further forward). I suspect the muffler that's there probably hits the body, though, and must resonate and rattle.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Trust the Midas Touch!"

John's right. The cut-out is ~almost~ like it was from Hethel. Looks a bit "curled" at the inboard edge but that could just be lighting. The "sin" is the MUFFLER. Looks like somethin' off'n a Pinto. A twin pipe Ansa end would be the easiest and cheapest fix. Not a cut up body there, rather a BAD choice of silencers.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
looks a little sootie to the left of the exhaust

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
BTW: it's one of the most undervalued Lotus cars on-planet. Drag coefficient of 0.27 IIRC, and handles like it was tied to the rails... FIRST car ever to have been wind tunnel designed to reduce drag, first car offered from Lotus as a complete car (never sold as a "kit"). They're EXCELLENT touring cars, handle like a Lotus should, look (still) like a slippery thing...

Do I sound a *bit* prejudiced? It's only because I KNOW.

If I had the "lolly" I'd be IN that bidding... alas, I've a full complement already. SWMBO would be my next "EX."

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Always wanted one also.

Must have been a two for one deal on the muffler, the other one he put on the rice burner.

rat-tat-tat-tat

G

I think you chaps must be confused. This fine automobile doesn't have an exhaust.

The lucky owner must have spent a fortune strengthening it to cope with the JATO on the back too. I bet it's a real winner at the drag strip.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sad what some people do. This is a hate crime.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mine has the Ansa tip. Sounds and looks great.

I think it's probably the easiest fixable thing that car has wrong. Rest of the car looks great.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

Too bad ya spent yer tax refund already, man. I'd recommend THAT over the Alfa, fer sure.

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
BTW: it's one of the most undervalued Lotus cars ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. If I were to buy another Lotus, I'd look for a +2 convertible conversion. These were done very professionally "in period" and look factory-made. I don't think the integral roof added much rigidity to the +2 and the 2 or 3 conversions I've seen look great and transform the car.

This is the only car I can think of where I'd tolerate cutting the roof off. I doubt that either function or value would suffer.

Strange - I like the baby Elan coupes better than the roadsters. Just contrary, I guess.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
JOHN!!! Buy a coupe, cut the top off neatly and I'll give you the address to send it to! I WANT a hardtop for the S3! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

...nevermind...

Yeah, I'd buy it, but the deal Tony gave me on the Alfa... I couldn't pass up. Less than half the current bid of that Lotus. Plus I ONLY had that much to spend. Also, the Alfa was really so we'd have 2 convertible sportscars (Julie really wanted it) to drive.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
hafta agree with all else here... even *with* that hideous canister in the back... that Lotus would make one heck of a grocery getter and commuter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

just wish I had the money to get it and ship it to Cali... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ah well... some day .... some ..... day ....

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
just wish I had the money to get it and ship it to Cali...

[/ QUOTE ]

At current exchange rates I too wish I had the capital to re-patriate it.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

But then, I say that every other day whenever I see something appealing.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif