• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Light Aircraft Instrument Panel

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Approaching KDXR om a hazy summer day from the south is a lot of fun. You can't see the field until you're almost on top of it and the tower can't see you. Somewhere on Youtube must be a GoPro video of that approach between two good sized "mountains".

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Approaching KDXR om a hazy summer day from the south is a lot of fun. You can't see the field until you're almost on top of it and the tower can't see you. Somewhere on Youtube must be a GoPro video of that approach between two good sized "mountains".
Oh yeah! It’s just as you describe. Thread the needle through the mountains and the runway appears.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
New addition to family has a flat screen digital display and husband says it's normal to have glass cockpits now. It's very easy to read. The engineers did a good job of placement and colors. As an f/y/I he learned to fly in Cessna 150. Guess you can guess he's 'old school.'

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Judy said:
As an f/y/I he learned to fly in Cessna 150.

:lol: As a teenager we would do hammerhead stalls over Lake Erie in a 150... idiot teenagers. I can still hear that stall buzzer!

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
:lol: As a teenager we would do hammerhead stalls over Lake Erie in a 150... idiot teenagers. I can still hear that stall buzzer![/COLOR]

I also learned to fly in a 150. They are for sure very forgiving. Can't say that for the control tower though.

Forget to say I was in the Boston TCA.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Judy said:
Forget to say I was in the Boston TCA.

Quite th' reason I'm not giving my particular departure location, or particulars. :smirk:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Many, many years ago a young man and his old airplane. The young man isn't young anymore and the old airplane just got older! :jester:

Both are still going strong! :encouragement:

View attachment 52873

My old Stearman now,
View attachment 52922

Last edited:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
"both are still going strong"

Great to hear! Annual maintenance pays off!

Say, how'd you ever get lucky to have your own Stearman back then? I think the registration number now belongs to a 172.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The fellow I sold it to, for some reason, wanted a different number, that number was the first civilian N number assigned to that aircraft after leaving the military. After he gave up the number it was assigned to a Beech-craft, didn't know about the later 172. Easy to change the N numbers if desired. Now the numbers can be much smaller and displayed on the vertical stabilizer, especially if it's painted in it's traditional military paint scheme. I have a photo of the aircraft now, if I could find it.
Paid 6,000 bucks for it back then, my total wealth! :highly_amused: PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Here's a picture of my old Stearman back in 1965 and now. Most Stearmans were initially bought from the Army Air Corps and they had a 200 hp Continental engine, mine was a Navy version and had a 220 hp Lycoming. Easy to identify, Continental had the exhaust coming from rear of engine, Lycoming had it coming from the front. Even though the Lycoming was 20 hp more, the Continental had more snap when punching the throttle.
PJ
View attachment 52923

View attachment 52924

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Ah those radial engines...and their distinctive noise. Also distinctive - and I look up every time I hear them - are the DC3 and the WW ll bombers/fighters, not to mention the AT-6 (SN-J) taking off. Vidoes are available online.