• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Leaving Maine

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
South Bend Indiana yesterday. Went to the Studebaker museum (We stumbled on it by accident). Just driving today.

Oooo and it's Friday too!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
How's the weather along the way?

JP, NOT just Friday - Friday the 13th!

OP
coldplugs

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
In Wisconsin at a place called the "Wisconsin Dells". It seems to be a big local tourist area - amusement parks etc - and is pretty crowded. Locals appear to love it.

So far so good. I've been surprised by the constant moderate to heavy traffic since we left the Buffalo NY area. I expect the roads'll thin out soon.

I wasn't aware of the Muppet/Studebaker connection until 2 days ago. The museum had one of the (2, I think) cars used in the movie. The driver sat low in the trunk area - no floor and a hand brake for stopping.

Weather has varied - first few days were very warm for the season, now much cooler (50's) and rain.

I'll post some pics when I get more time. Our Verizon hotspot has performed beautifully - very happy we invested in that a few months ago.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Wisconsin Dells are beautiful. Definitely lots of tourists, but beautiful. I presume you are off already, but that whole region, Baraboo, the Dells, Spring Green, etc., is beautiful. (Spring Green was home to Frank Loyd Wright, for example ... with some appropriate crazy stories: his wife exhumed his body to move it to Arizona ... apparently Mr. Wright was not a nice man, in spite of his talent).

And quite nice for LBCs - small twisty roads that are just fine at 45-55 mph!

(The Dells are compete with upside-down houses and other silly things to keep you distracted from the amazing feats of mother nature!)

OP
coldplugs

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
Wisconsin Dells are beautiful......
(The Dells are compete with upside-down houses and other silly things to keep you distracted from the amazing feats of mother nature!)
We did see a huge, white, upside-down house. Unfortunately we didn't have the time to take a boat ride - my wife bought a book on the area's history, though. Lots of interesting things in America's midsection.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
What a wonderful adventure and keeping one’s promise is the definition of a good man. No wanderlust here but vacationing is definitely on the list, something we’ve not been able to do in almost 20 years. BTW, we love our area in New Mexico and would not have entertained this location were it not for a job move over 20 years ago. No desire to relocate. Keep us in the loop and if you happen in our area give a PM. We have accommodations. (No Charge of course)

OP
coldplugs

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
Judy, thanks for the kind offer. Since part of the reason for the move is proximity to family we'll probably end up in the northwest. I can understand your liking NM - we've been to Santa Fe & Taos several times - great places to visit.

Currently in Bozeman MT. Stopped at Mount Rushmore yesterday (or maybe it was the day before).

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Judy, thanks for the kind offer. Since part of the reason for the move is proximity to family we'll probably end up in the northwest. I can understand your liking NM - we've been to Santa Fe & Taos several times - great places to visit.

Currently in Bozeman MT. Stopped at Mount Rushmore yesterday (or maybe it was the day before).

Wow, you're really trucking right along!

OP
coldplugs

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
Made it to our Airbnb in Spokane today. We'll be here for 2 weeks, then down to Oregon. It'll be good to be in one place for a while and let the mail catch up etc. I'll post a few pictures in the next day or two.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
John,
I wonder if our paths crossed? I was going East on I 90 from Missoula to Billings yesterday.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Made it to our Airbnb in Spokane today. We'll be here for 2 weeks, then down to Oregon. It'll be good to be in one place for a while and let the mail catch up etc. I'll post a few pictures in the next day or two.

Check the road reports - I84 (along the Columbia River was backed up 10-15 miles when I came through,
due to road work.You can take Highway 14,on the Washington side,with no problems.

OP
coldplugs

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up. We'll check on it before we leave. I think we must have passed each other at some point - a missed opportunity.

It was an interesting trip. I learned that I-90 ain't route 66. I'm sure it can be traversed a lot faster than the old roads but the roadside sights are almost the same no matter where you are. Same chain restaurants etc. I also learned that Wisconsin does indeed produce some great cheese and that Lewiston NY is a great town. We didn't take many pictures but here are a few.

VW crammed with stuff. Can you find the redwood tree? The lemon tree?
Image00001.jpg

Adirondack views

Image00002.jpgImage00003.jpg

I've always been a sucker for guideboats and old Mac saws
Image00004.jpgImage00005.jpg

Niagara Falls - always a fun visit
Image00006.jpgImage00007.jpgImage00008.jpg

First time we visited the power generation plant - fascinating! Who knew they controlled the flow over falls?
Image00009.jpg

Studebaker museum. Awesome upholstery job, headlights hooked to the steering linkage, 1930 inline 8 used as a basis for their Indy engines
Image00010.jpgImage00011.jpgImage00012.jpgImage00013.jpg

Mt Rushmore - I was impressed by the artists' abilities to render TR's glasses
Image00014.jpgImage00015.jpg