• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Is your Healey what you think it is?

OP
BJ8Healeys

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
They just keep coming, Sportsfans. Another gold BJ8 on eBay that has a reproduction VIN plate claiming chassis 34003 and a body plate that belongs to chassis 31688. Both are said to have been restored by the same restorer. Be careful out there.

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Went and looked at a nice black with red interior BJ7 years ago...Plate said BN7...... Told the owner it was an issue.........Ran into him last year and asked what happened to the car...said he sold it..yes buyer beware do your home work and check the title and numbers thoroughly!

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
My VIN is right for the car but she is still a mongrel, the doors do not match, not quite sure which one is right, the steering box is off a BN4 or similar, goodness knows about the engine - no plate on it but the stamp marks are correct for the BJ7. Not sure about the front fenders, they are marginally different but there again you have to be really keen to spot that. But I don't care it is still a Healey and could be classed as original 'cept for the fuel cap, lack of matching numbers, the new floors and cills (rockers) the chrome wheels, new hubs, stainless steel exhaust - the list goes on :highly_amused:

:cheers:

Bob

Kainopong

I would also supplement using the BMHT with production data, cars on registry prior and after and see if they align- The BMHT sent me the wrong engine number on a cert (which I didn't notice until I found my engine tag -a 26D engine - and began researching the numbers correctness of my car) - good news was on the car the Engine tag, VIN and Body number and numbers on the surround all match. When I paid the 9 bucks to ask a researcher - they agreed they made an error (like 14 years ago) and sent me a corrected cert. I knew the cert was wrong since the production date was 4 months after the last 1C engine was used.

OP
BJ8Healeys

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I would also supplement using the BMHT with production data, cars on registry prior and after and see if they align- The BMHT sent me the wrong engine number on a cert (which I didn't notice until I found my engine tag -a 26D engine - and began researching the numbers correctness of my car) - good news was on the car the Engine tag, VIN and Body number and numbers on the surround all match. When I paid the 9 bucks to ask a researcher - they agreed they made an error (like 14 years ago) and sent me a corrected cert. I knew the cert was wrong since the production date was 4 months after the last 1C engine was used.

I have acquired 1,072 certificates for BJ8s to date, and I can tell you there are lots of mistakes on them. Far too many, considering what BMIHT charges for them. They used to advertise that they would replace an incorrect certificate at no charge if it were brought to their attention. I'm surprised if they issued a new certificate at no charge unless you were the person who ordered it 14 years ago. They won't replace an incorrect cert if the source data in their build records is incorrect as well, which happens sometimes. Can't blame them for that.

Anyone who has a BJ8 with a cert and doesn't know if they have sent a copy to the BJ8 Registry or not, please contact me. You can contribute your part to the database of BJ8 knowledge if you have one and will allow me to add it to my collection.

BN6

Steve

Is there such a detailed registry available for the BN6 Healey's, and how would you be able to tell if the VIN and body number plates are original or reproductions for the BN6's ?

OP
BJ8Healeys

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Steve

Is there such a detailed registry available for the BN6 Healey's, and how would you be able to tell if the VIN and body number plates are original or reproductions for the BN6's ?

BN6, I believe the BJ8 Registry is unique and there is no other one as detailed or actively managed. The long-time keeper of the BN6 Registry had his "database" on 3 x 5 paper cards until a few years ago when he turned it over to the AHCA and a new keeper was assigned. Each model registrar is free to document the details he chooses. There is no standardization among the various model registries and I do not know what kinds and how much detail the current registrar is willing to document. He happens to be the current President of AHCA, Gary Feldman.
The BJ8 Registry has been grown based on what information I have learned during 20 years as registrar that would be helpful to document in order to make the registry a valuable and useful resource for the Healey and BJ8 communities. I'm willing to put the effort into it to increase its utility and value and to make it a resource, but I don't think all registrars are. It's a lot of work, but I'm willing to do it because I enjoy it.

The more experience one has in looking at the plates, the more likely that reproductions can be distinguished from originals. There can be differences in the stamping font, stamping technique, placement on the plate, missing letters or digits, etc.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Is there such a detailed registry available for the BN6 Healeys, and how would you be able to tell if the VIN and body number plates are original or reproductions for the BN6's?

I know you asked Steve, but if you don't mind me interrupting, the answer is, there is a registry for BN4/BN6 (all 100-Sixes) managed by Gary Feldman. I don't know how detailed it is, and Steve's BJ8 registry is in a league of its own so I wouldn't expect anyone to equal his efforts, but if you'd like to contact Gary, he's at ghfeldman@roadrunner.com Not that it matters, but Gary is also president of the Austin-Healey Club of America.

BN6

Thank you Steve and Reid for your quick replies, I will get the information, numbers, pictures etc for my BN6 and send Gary an email.