• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Increasing the fleet

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thinking of purchasing a frog eye to pair up with my BJ8 looking around prices seem to be holding up and it seems a restored example is probably a better buy at the moment, restoration projects seem quite expensive considering the price of body pannels. Could anyone point me in the right direction as to what to look for and what to avoid, I have mechanical experience (not too much with cars mainly boats) also had a lot of fun with the BJ8 and now know what to look for with the sprites bigger brother.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
You want to buy the car that had the nicest body BEFORE it was restored , that's the challenge. Prior collision and rust damage not repaired properly. Any rust or paint bubbling or flaking mean it probably wasn't repaired correctly and you'll be stripping it to a bare tub. Check for plastic filler with a refrigerator magnet .

histerical

Jedi Hopeful
Loose steering and front suspension. The boxes the rear springs are mounted in ( one of the worst designs ever). Rust uder the fronts of the floors.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
also, A pillar rust - look in the door jamb around the lower hinge

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Spring boxes and rust at floor and read bulkhead. A Challenge to fix. Trust me I know. My Solution, find a Unicorn, a '60 BE CA Car original owner since 1960 when it was purchased new. Rust Free to boot, truly a Unicorn. Yes you will pay more and harder to find but they are out there. Just need to look under lots of rocks. Bugsy IV is coming back to life and Bugsy II my aforementioned Project Car has an offer on him to purchase as is.