• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Holy Crap! False Alarm

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm just glad the false alarm wasn't happening in "rocketmans" neck of the woods.... the situation might have turned to retaliation. :scared:

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I m still at a loss for why on earth they have this warning in the first place there are no fallout shelters in Hawaii

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Bas, that is a great story you have.

This is a truly crazy incident and must have been terrifying for the folks in Hawaii. On a side note I have a co-worker who happened to be on the big island this past weekend, I'll have to ask her what it was like a little later.

What will we do if there is a real threat, kids nowadays have no idea how to protect themselves from a nuclear blast by climbing under their desks like we learned back in my day.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
It wouldn't have worked then, and it wouldn't work now.

677307_MOGUpVjv.jpg

But it did make many folks feel better, and think they could survive.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Bas, that is a great story you have.

This is a truly crazy incident and must have been terrifying for the folks in Hawaii. On a side note I have a co-worker who happened to be on the big island this past weekend, I'll have to ask her what it was like a little later.

What will we do if there is a real threat, kids nowadays have no idea how to protect themselves from a nuclear blast by climbing under their desks like we learned back in my day.

Ah yes, I remember the hiding under the desk drills. Like that would do any good!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
As a kid growing up in the Bronx I remember these fallout shelter signs on most apartment buildings.
C68D5100-60B1-4859-A5E1-637A72A2643F.jpeg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
As a kid growing up in the Bronx I remember these fallout shelter signs on most apartment buildings.
View attachment 52020

A few years ago I was at a church in Syracuse that still had one outside - I wanted to liberate it sooooo badly! :grin (but I didn't)

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Ah yes, I remember the hiding under the desk drills. Like that would do any good!

My father was a warden at his place of work and had to teach this - in retrospect at least you were in a good position to kiss you A** goodbye. :devilgrin:

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
My father was a warden at his place of work and had to teach this - in retrospect at least you were in a good position to kiss you A** goodbye. :devilgrin:

That's about the size of it. Of course in my case, I rather doubt Bridgeport West Virginia would have been a primary target!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We had regular drills, an air raid siren at the local fire station would start wailing and that meant you had to start the "duck and cover" exercise. About 100 miles north of you, Basil. But that was in the '50's & early '60's. That siren caused me to have nightmares as a kid, hated it!

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
San Francisco...We had em, yep, air raid and earthquake - under the desk. Fire drills - orderly exit out onto the playgrounds and sidewalks. Plenty of the Civil Defense signs throughout the city. There were still blackout curtains in the schools and other buildings. I loved the drills, a break from the tedium, another welcome release from the tyranny. A chance for humor, brotherhood and small mischief! They seemed more akin to recess than preparation for impending doom. Fearless, we took them in stride. :grin:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
C68D5100-60B1-4859-A5E1-637A72A2643F.jpeg

The high school on the east side of Lawton still has one of these signs the last time I was by, which was around a year ago.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I'm not posting the picture here, but...The fact someone clicked the wrong computer link and initiated a false missile alert was bad enough. Now I just saw that a post-it note was captured stuck to the console in a public (press) photo of the emergency system. Get this - the note had the password to the entire system written on it in plane sight. The fact no one is being fired is just stunning.

When I worked in the military and as a contractor on "sensitive" systems, we had to have very complex passwords AND we absolutely could not write them down ANYWHERE! We just had to remember them!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hate to say it, but that "lack of security" issue probably applies to most everyone, and to most every agency other than military.

I remember the head of our university IT department had one password for the dozens of personal and official systems he ran. He'd change the password every month - and email it to himself and several other people on his "friends list".

yeesh

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Hate to say it, but that "lack of security" issue probably applies to most everyone, and to most every agency other than military.

I remember the head of our university IT department had one password for the dozens of personal and official systems he ran. He'd change the password every month - and email it to himself and several other people on his "friends list".

yeesh

A number of years ago we had a breakin at our church - during church - the thief went through the wallets and purses in the choir room - more than one person had their pin number written on their bank cards. :roll eyes: