• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hi Folks- Another one comes out of the barn............

MisterB

Country flag
Hi Folks-
Finally got over to haul in the '67 BJ8 form a friend's barn. It is sad and derelict, a basket case from a stalled dream restoration over a decade ago. Why do these things seem to find me? I will try and post a few photos but do keep in mind that this is after a couple of Sundays loosely hanging this car together to determine what is missing and to have it in one lump so it doesn't get scattered again until I can attack it in earnest. It came home as a pickup full of drivetrain and boxes with a little sad something on the trailer.
This is my first Austin Healey, though I did drive (with gusto!) a Jensen Healey when I was younger.
I have learned a lot already studying past posts and have a lot more to go!
Best regards,
Mike Burgess
Albert, KS

Attachments

• 000_0389.jpg
    000_0389.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 000_0387.jpg
    000_0387.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 170
  • 000_0388.jpg
    000_0388.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 000_0386.jpg
    000_0386.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 179
Country flag
Not a bad basis for a resto, relatively speaking. Looks like that might be an original hood (convertible top) boot (cover). If so, you're in luck; the repops don't fit nor look right.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Buy all the manuals - including both the shop and the parts manuals, as it's always a mystery when someone else took it apart.... And with my memory, it's still a mystery even if I took it apart! And you probably already know this but: you can never take enough digital photos, and don't throw anything away until it's running, insured, and on the road. Good fortune with the adventure! Doug

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Nothing but respect for the folks who undertake this kind of project. Best of luck with it. I look forward to seeing pictures of the stunning end result.

OP
MisterB

MisterB

Country flag
Hi Folks-
Thanks for the replies. This one looks to be a long haul. Not horrible, but this is no cherry. I have known about the car for a few years and bought it after I finished a 190SL that was a 3 year flog. Might should have pursued that TR3 that I know about, but the sweet, sweet 6 cylinder got me! I'll take the usual route... make it run, make it safe, make it pretty. In that order. Should have added make it complete, this is the first hurdle. After I get it together and complete I will spin the engine and check compression, oil it down good then I have to get to the other 2 cars that are ahead of this one. ('72 El Camino that has been pushed aside 3 too many times and a '67 Camaro convertible.) It'll be tough, the Healey is way cool, but I've been waiting on 3 mothballed E-Types for years now. Retirement projects, you know. Not much on golf or fishing.
On a side note, urgency was added to me fetching this car when I ran onto 3 Healeys that were passing through Great Bend, KS at a gas station across the street from the car lot where I work. (Yes, a used car salesman! Egad! I really don't sell cars, but glorified toasters and rolling smartphones, when I get home I work on cars.) The fellows were passing through heading for Colorado if I remember correctly and the sight of their gorgeous Healeys lit a fire under me. Had a nice talk and looked the cars over well. If you guys are on this forum THANKS! Priority reset! I just had to have this one home after that.
Thanks again for all the information found here and all the best-
Mike Burgess
Albert, KS

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
In my view the most valuable books to purchase are the "Mechanical Service Parts List" and "Body Service Parts List". They give illustrations and parts numbers of every part used in the car with exploded views of how they fit together. Sometimes originals show up on ebay, but I think if you look on the internet you can find some digital reproductions.