• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

hello from a new user

JaredZX3

Freshman Member
Hello all,

My name is Jared, and I've been lurking about for a few weeks and reading as much as I can, and I registered recently in case any questions pop up while I'm looking over all the older threads.

Right now I am 24 and currently working in the insurance industry (at least until I finish school and find a career I actually enjoy, lol).

My reason for popping up on this board, is that my girlfriend's father is selling both his old VW Beetle and his '79 MGB, to allow for a down payment (and room in the garage) for a new car, most likely a Mini Cooper S (the BMW, not the old one), and I've always admired it, so I am considering buying it.

I can't say that I've seen it driven at all in the year and a half that I've known her, but before that it was driven maybe once or twice a year to MG meets in our area. I told him I was definitely interested. My dad had an MGB when he was younger, it was the year before they switched to plastic bumpers (he sold it later for a Trimph Spitfire, which we had up until a year or so after I was born), and I inherited a bit of his appreciation for these cars.

Sometime in the next few weeks I will be actually giving it a thorough inspection, using the handy information from here and here that I found from this website, and then at that point I will decide if this is a car I will ask my girlfriend's father to hold for me (he would prefer to sell it sooner than later, but he knows I've always admired it and would take care of it, so he will hold it for me until next October when I will be ready to purchase it).

I currently have a 2000 Ford Focus hatchback, and generally reside in the FocalJet forums, but as of late I've been looking for a second, older car, because although I love my Focus and full understand the capabilities of the platform, I've been desiring a second, "funkier" car that will not only turn heads when I drive, but also allow me to really get my hands dirty and learn a lot about working on cars (can't get too into a car when it's your transportation to and from work!). I have a short list of cars that I have been considering buying and restoring (and modifying them to perform significantly beyond their stock levels of performance).

When I say modify beyond their stock levels of performance, that doesn't necessarily apply to all the candidates.

For example, high on my list is an old Datsun 510, into which I would put the Nissan SR20DET engine and basically overhall it to turn it into a little beast of a car, but I wouldn't go and hot rod a VW Thing, which I am also considering.

Which is why I am unsure about the MGB. I keep seeing references to this whole "Safety Fast" thing, and if I am really looking to turn whatever car I buy into quite a performer, I am still looking for info on people who have "souped up" their cars, so to speak.

A lot of information I've seen on here seems to refer specifically to the restoration and upkeep of original equipment, so I was wondering if this vehicle is just one of those vehicles that is simply good enough in it's stock form, or does it not lend well to modifications?

Before anyone comments on that, I can partly answer that myself- I really need to DRIVE the car to experience it and see if it is something I would like to get into... from what I gather, the driving experience you get is what brought about the "Safety Fast" thing, so perhaps just enjoying the car at it's stock performance levels will be good enough for me.

...but still, I tend to be an always-tinkering type of car enthusiast, wanting to see how I can fully exploit a vehicle for more performance. I just got my Moss Motors catalog yesterday, and immediately I went right to the performance parts, lol.

Somewhere on here or one of the sites I linked to, I read that if I do buy an MGB, I should wait and live with it a year before doing any extensive modifications. So, once I fully check over the example I am considering buying, if it IS something I like (after I actually DRIVE an MGB, of course), I will bring it up to speed as far as any work that needs to be done to it, but taking that advice, I won't be doing any serious suspension work, engine work, or bodywork (even though I SO want to convert it to a chrome bumper car!) until I truly see that this is a car I can live with.

In any event, I think I am rambling now and I apologize (slow day at work), but I hope to learn a lot from all of you in the next few months, both regarding the car itself, but also the philosophy behind maintaining and owning one of these. Not often do I see cars touting claims like "Safety Fast", so that was my first indication that I truly need to do my homework before buying a car like this
grin.gif

Thanks in advance for my experiences here!

Oh, and real quick, I'm not sure what kind of demographic tends to frequent these boards, but from what I've gathered it seems like there are a lot of brand loyalists here, which is fine, but I'm not too fond of "fanboys" who denounce other genres or marques just because they don't like them. For example, I am a big fan of certain imports, but please do not misunderstand me when I say I am NOT to be lumped in to the "Fast N Furious" demographic which unfortunately seems to be typecasting any young car enthusaist these days as being tasteless and stupid. Like most people, I like certain brands and types of cars more than others, but I can always see the good in every car.

...just had to get that out of the way, thanks
wink.gif
tongue.gif

[ 04-07-2004: Message edited by: JaredZX3 ]</p>

OP
J

JaredZX3

Freshman Member
on a side note (starting a new reply since people tend not to read really long posts and this might warrant a separate thread), does anyone here auto-X their MGB?

i was wondering what class it would fall in under SCCA rules.

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Aloha Jared,

Welcome to the forum. I have an older MG, a TF 1250 with about 54 hp. I have to push it really hard to keep up with 65 MPH traffic on the highway (I don't often go there). MG used "Safety Fast" in advertising before World War II. At the time roads were narrow, not well paved and windy, so a good selling point was a nibble car that could avoid road hazards and on coming traffic safely with the power for good acceleration. Also 45 MPH might have been considered a high speed on these roads.

My car doesn't have a high top end, I've never had it much beyond 65 MPH, but I don't mind. I love the simplicity of the car, the handling and the joy of driving it. This is my daily driver and the hood is only put up if there is a monsoon type rain.

Modern MGB's evolved from this heritage. I'm sure there are MGB drivers that will be able to tell you about the newer models. I think it is a good idea to live with the car for awhile to assess what might be improved.

I felt compelled to reply because i always sign my posts,

Safety Fast,
Dave

G

welcome to the forum. I thought I had that link to my site hidden better, sorry Tony,If the B doesn't make enough power, you can always swap a Chevy 3.4v6 into it,, for an instant 200 hp. Cheaper than a Moss supercharger, though I'd like to try that too.
driving.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
chuck - hope you KILL it this time!

G

Hi Jared, welcome to the forum. There is a lot of experience here and a great crossection of individuals with many opinions, from the purist to the one that modifies his car to get it to do what he wants.

The MG isn't a real screamer from 0 to 60 in it's stock form (around 12 or 13 seconds) but it is so much fun to drive most of us don't care. I dream of a V8 or that 3.4 V6 and 5 sp but still drive mine every day with the stock engine.

There are a few of us who have autocrossed them and they will corner with the best if modified. The chrome bumper ones corner better if both are left stock, but the rubber bumper ones can also be modified to run well.

So I agree with the advice you had to drive it for awhile before modifying to see just which way you want to go. There are guys that race them too in SCCA racinig and do pretty good. I think more spridgets are raced though simply because they are lighter and maybe a little more nimble but they are in a different class too.

I raced mine in a few local autocrosses and started in the stock class and did terrible. I couldn't compete with the newer cars with their modern suspensions. I then added a few suspension mods and went to a production class and did better. The local club doesn't go strictly by the SCCA classes so I couldn't compare for you there. But any engine mods and they put you in the race class and to do well there you need to go all the way and end up trailering it to the race.

Good luck,
Bob

G

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tony barnhill:
chuck - hope you KILL it this time!<hr></blockquote>

I'll do something, I want to keep it as a personal reference for the next car I buy from you, it now exists only as a file on my harddrive
devilgrin.gif

[ 04-07-2004: Message edited by: Chuck Cougill ]</p>

G

I takes a lot of money to make the Stock 4-cyclinder perform well. To increase the power of the engine you'll have to get the cyclinder head ported and polished. High compression pistons and a decked head. Special Rim-flow valves are available to increase the cfm flow if the head. Roller Rockers and also available but cost around $900 retail. With a mild cam and hardened lifters a SU (HS6), or Weber DCOE equipped MGB will put out around 140-150 hp. But a complete engine with these parts will cost you between $6-7,000. Thats if its professionally built. Moss motors also sells a supercharger but its recommended to have a fresh engine to install it on. With a ported head and some tweaking the Supercharger ($2500-2900) will make the engine put out 100-115 hp to the wheels.

Also available: Crossflow Aluminum head which will give you the option of Dual Webers !

And thats just a little information about the performance potential of the 4-cyclinder. This disscusion could go on forever !!

Read as much as you can on the internet !
driving.gif
savewave.gif
hammer.gif

jimd

Hello Jared,

Just my 2 cents worth...I got a '69 mgb recently and have been driving it alot - sometimes hard. I am having alot of fun. The car has a 'performance cam' according to the prev. owner and a monza exhaust and nice pirelli tires. Also has overdrive that a few on the board want from me! But otherwise the car is stock from what I can tell. Anyway, fwiw, my advice is to take the mgb. The fun is not in getting there fast but how you get there...

Best Regards,

Jim

Jim 67B

Jedi Hopeful
Welcome Jared
Others on this board will talk about changes that will cost thousands of dollars. A 79 can be a fun car with only modest changes. Take a distributor from a chrome bumber model and a weber 32/36 DVG carb combined with the eary stock exhaust will give good performance for a modest cost. Lowering the car one inch and installing a larger front anti-roll bar will improve handling. All of this can be done for less than $1,000. Its possible that some of these changes have already been made to the car. Buy lots of oil and have fun.
driving.gif

OP
J

JaredZX3

Freshman Member
thanks for the welcome everyone.

regarding that file which i had linked too, sorry, i'm not sure what's up with that, but the part about looking over the vehicle was probably my most important thing i had found so car, so if i can't look at the rest could someone perhaps just email me the information about inspecting the vehicle prior to purchase?

...if it's info that people would rather keep personal, umm thats ok i guess i understand,
dunno.gif
but i'd rather not have to look all over the internet for something like that again
smile.gif

on a side note, has anyone ever done business with MG Limited/Killer Beez Racing or Peninsula Imports?..those were places that were suggested to me by other MGB enthusiasts on the Focus forum i frequent.

[ 04-08-2004: Message edited by: JaredZX3 ]</p>

G

actually Jared, Tony bared his soul, opened his heart and told us all his MG buying secrets, only to have it used against him twice in one week, including a car he actually wanted to keep. Now that MG's are Tony's only business we took down all links to the article, and now I've removed it from the web. You couldn't have known, so it's ok. For used parts, go to Tony Barnhill, the Autoist. He's the best. For new stuff go to Chris Roop, who also posts here. He offers 20% off Moss list and also gives great service. I use both. If you want to go really fast, and I do, get a Chevy V6 and go for it. Classic Conversions makes the install kit. Links to all the above are on my website. Also go to Tony's site and join the MG List and get hooked up with Kim de B who also lives in PA for all your local MG stuff

[ 04-08-2004: Message edited by: Chuck Cougill ]</p>

G

Jared, Brian McCullough is my go to guy on the v6 conversion, he sells everything you need and some you don't. his website is here

Tintinmilou

Welcom Jared,
I'm one of those marque-loyal people you mentioned. My dad had before I was born, and still has, a '49 MG-TC. I've got the '66 MGB-GT he bought new, and I got a '57 MGA in 1990.
All this to say that you don't even have to exceed the speed limit to have a whole lot of fun in an MG. The only hazard is bugs in your teeth from drivin' and grinnin'.

OP
J

JaredZX3

Freshman Member
ok cool, thanks for the info. if it affected his business then that is completely understandable. i think i can find my way around the car well enough without that checklist, i was just dumbfounded by its thoroughness.

i guess i will have to do some searching through the forum for the V6 conversion. if i decide to buy the car, it's with the intent of doing something like this (like how if i buy an old Datsun 510 to restore i would put a newer Nissan SR20DET turbo'd block in it) to it to turn it into a beast of sorts.

anyways, i sound like a newbie who comes on to a Focus forum saying things like (i am thinking about buying a Focus and converting it to RWD and dropping in a Mustang Cobra V8, how much does that cost?) not knowing how insanely expensive, and inappropriate for the platform, it is. so i will get back to searching, this time for "V6" instead of "V8"... i was wondering why searching for V8 conversions wasn't turning up much except for individuals in the UK who drop in a Rover V8. ...i had thought that maybe there were individuals in the states who put a small-block 350 in it or something, but since multiple people mention the V6, maybe that's the more popular choice. anyways, back to scouring the threads to learn more about the MGB, lest i sound way too much like an ignorant newbie with pipe dreams
laugh.gif

[ 04-08-2004: Message edited by: JaredZX3 ]</p>

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Jared:

Welcome!
A good way to judge various cars (before you buy one) might be to look at them at events such as track-days and car-shows.
For what it's worth, I think the MGB is an excellent car to drive. I'd prefer a modded MG engine to an engine swap, but as you'll see, there's lots of different points of view.
Since you're close by (PA) , you should stop by at some of our EMRA events and have a look at some of the cars at our track-days. We have a few Brit cars, old BMWs and lots of other cars (including Focuses). We'll be at Pocono Raceway May 7 and several other times in '04. Check our schedule:

https://www.emraracing.org/Emraeven.htm

You might also want to check out the Moss Motors BritFest in NJ at the end of this month...lots of nice cars at this event.

[ 04-09-2004: Message edited by: aeronca65t ]</p>

Tintinmilou

The AUTOX web site, https://autox.team.net/ has an entire area dedicated to "Little British Cars" with a strong contingent of MGs.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JaredZX3:
on a side note (starting a new reply since people tend not to read really long posts and this might warrant a separate thread), does anyone here auto-X their MGB?

i was wondering what class it would fall in under SCCA rules.
<hr></blockquote>

Ed Sweeney

Hey,

Noticed your interest in the SR20DET swap for the Dime, so I thought this link might really interest you. https://sawaiianpunch.com/MGB-E.htm

It doesn't offer much explanation about the swap itself... just more of a "Check-this-out!" type of link.

StevenA

Jedi Trainee
Don't make a "hot-rod" out of a classic vehicle... that is my suggestion. MGs are and were built for their style, ride, and attitude. Putting a 400 horse chevy or "jap-crap" engine in one is heresy to the cars. Instead of the hot rod idea... see if you CAN rebuild it to original specs and then improve on the original by making it better and smoother than factory. I have built street racers, 1/4 mile dragsters, and rally raced but the most satisfaction is to show a restored Brit or other completely perfect vehicle. I've shown Camaros, ElCaminos, 40 Ford, 32 Ford, Model T, and others and raced the chevys for years ot the Drag-strip but getting every piece of grease and every speck of dust/dirt off and have a perfect body, frame, engine, and interior is much more fun in the long run. PLUS (big plus) the car is worth more in the restored condition now and in the future than ANY hop up version ever will be. When you switch engines and change body works... you lose its value and all for a temporary speed fix.