• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Go-kart

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Mistake #1--trip to Auto Zone
Mistake #2--talking to the 17 year old.

I need a new wiper refill. I go to Auto Zone. Pull in. 16 year old kid says, "Whoa, cool car. It looks like a little go-kart, what is that, A KIT CAR?'

In spite of the knot in my stomach, I walk in. Same kid follows me in and says (quite politely) "Can I help you find something MA'AM?' (I am a lot of things, but I am NOT a ma'am) I told him I needed a wiper blade refill for my go-kart. Asked me what length, told him 11". He looked at me like I had 2 heads. I told him I could use something a little longer, as long as it was the same width, and cut the bloody thing off myself as long as it had a keeper on the end. So he hands me a 31" refill.

Started breaking out in a sweat -- left.

Maybe I'll have better luck at O'Reilly's. Besides, I really don't NEED a center wiper...

frusty.gif

78MGB

Jedi Hopeful
I called an O"Reilly's store the other day about a fan belt. The 17 yo put me on hold when I told him it was for the MGB. The 18 yo, assume it was the 17 yo's superior, that got back on the line said, "EEMM GGEEE BEEEE??? Never heard of it". I just thanked him and told him I would try an auto store that has. I sure hope he hung up the phone by now. That was 5 days ago. Anyway, found out that I would only save a dollar of so local and will just order it from one of the stores that cater to us. (Moss, Victoria Britsh, Brit Tech, etc) Need to keep them going and it is worth the wait and a few dollars to keep them going. Don't think the auto boxes would pick up the line if they all went out of business.

Do get a lot of thumbs up from kids when I am driving the MGB around town though. Got a wave from a Beamer yesterday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
A '66 pristine Corvette pulled into Auto Zone as I was about to leave. I'm not a Corvette fan, but was a very nice car. He came over (about 50ish) and talked to me for the longest time about MGs. Wouldn't have traded him cars even up though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
Same kid follows me in and says (quite politely) "Can I help you find something MA'AM?' (I am a lot of things, but I am NOT a ma'am)

[/ QUOTE ]

What is an appropriate way to ask someone? I have always thought sir and ma'am are very polite. I can certainly think of far worse.

MattP

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Same kid follows me in and says (quite politely) "Can I help you find something MA'AM?' (I am a lot of things, but I am NOT a ma'am)

[/ QUOTE ]

What is an appropriate way to ask someone? I have always thought sir and ma'am are very polite. I can certainly think of far worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you find out. When I was working retail, I always knew I was in for it when people reacted to my calling them Sir or Ma'am. Would they have preferred, "Yo, Idgit, whacha want?" It isn't an age thing, I used the honorifics on everyone from 5 to 105. Sorry for the rant, just a pet peeve.

Now, not knowing the cars is inexcusable. If I didn't know something, the customer wouldn't know I didn't. My funniest experience was at the DMV. "It's an MGB." "How do you spell that?" That was tricky to find a polite way out of.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Simmer down boys, I was kidding around. I'd rather the kid call me Ma'am than my car a go-kart.

MattP

Jedi Knight
I'm not really that upset, it was just a pet peeve. I spent 4.5 years daily having some Redneck (Not that I consider you to be that. I sold shoes in Little Rock, so it usually was a RN.) pop off at me about that. And since Dillard's wanted to be upscale I couldn't pop back. I don't have that pressure here so I popped back at you. So there Nyah /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

But I can appreciate the go cart thing. I have a guy I work with that has an old Plymouth Challenger with no different problems than any with my MGB, and he is constantly riding me about its reliability.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
heh... I dread the day when I start getting consistant "sirs" when being addressed by someone. As for the car, I'm constantly making jokes about my car with my co-workers... I usually ask people if I can have a penny to put in the back of my car so I can pop wheelies all the way home (reference the early 80's toy "Penny Racers"). No one tries to dog me on my car's reliability, we have a guy with an 3rd Gen RX7 to do that with ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

if you don't know... this is a penny racer (it's smaller than a US quarter):
S12PennyRacer.jpg

rampant

You know it seems funny to me that every auto zone, advance ect. seems to hire the same kid that says whats an MGB?

usasma

Jedi Trainee
I'll only buy the "generic" stuff from AutoZone, etc - usually it results in much better treatment by the staff there. I've been looking for several items (an Optima battery and a battery cutoff switch in particular). When I go in with the model number or the specifications (I actually brought the battery box from the B-GT with me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif they seem to treat me like I know what I'm talking about (even if I don't). Haven't gotten the "what's an MGB" question either - usually they just nod knowingly when I say it (and I know that they're full of it!) because they think that I must know what I'm talking about!

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Funny, some of the droids at the part stores look at me funny when I say "MG" is the make. That alone is enough to tell me I should go somewhere else. It was also fun when I bought the car, and noticed that the folks at the title office had copied the information wrongly from the old title. So, I had a title for an MG Roadster. It took considerable explanation of what the term roadster means, and that the model is a Midget. They kept asking me "Is it an MG Roadster Midget?". No, it is a roadster (a small 2-seat sports car), and it is an MG Midget. Long blank stare. "But why does it say roadster under the body type on the old title? That won't fit in our body type field." Okay, so call it a 2D, since it is a 2-door car. Problem solved.

Radford

Jedi Knight
Want to have a little fun? When the ask for the make tell them British Leyland (or British Motor Corp), then tell them its a Model B. They spend ten minutes trying to look it up. Just for kicks you could ask for a carb needle, after you finsh explaining what a carb is... Here in Atlanta there's a place called Bakers Inmport that actually stocks parts for our cars, they're nice to have around.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Yea, but you never know...

I went into the local A&A Autoparts one day to look for a oil filter and had some 17 YO girl ask "what can I help you with, sir?" and thought here we go. But before asking for someone who knew something about old cars, I smirked and asked her for an oil filter for a 74 MGB. Without batting an eye she asked "top loading or bottom loading?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Well, we talked a little bit...seems her dad has 3 MGS, a Jag and a Bentley...I wanted to ask her for her number to give to my son, but thought that might be over the edge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I bought the last one they had, but always hope to have her wait on me when I go in there for something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Radford

Jedi Knight
Bruce,

Go back and get that number. A girl like that, especially if she's a looker, is a one in a million. I'm sure you son would be thankful, well until he tried the "oh, dam - i think it's broken down in the middle of nowhere" gag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I guess I am really lucky. I live in hickville Minnesota and was totally surprised when I stopped by the local AutoValue store. The counter guy not only was able to recognize my car as a spitfire, he even got close on the year.

The only problem I have had with him is when I stopped in and told him I needed some part and he laid a roll of mechanics wire and a roll of duct tape on the counter for me. He got the message when I looked at the "parts" and told him I didn't have time to work on his Ford today.

Of course I am dealing with an older person. He must be all of 21.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif didn't have time to work on his Ford... BWAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAH!!! oh stop stop stop... my sides hurt!! hahah

R

Randi

I must confess I have called my 79 Midget" Mickey Mouses Car" and a go-kart but usually the "Mosquito"....but I drive so many big old "Bubbas" (40's & 50's cars) that the change really makes it FEEL like a go Kart!!!! I forget I'm old & have been known to look behind me when someone calls me ma'am...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gifRandi

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
heh... funny you mention Mickey Mouse, Randi... I have a Mickey Mouse beach towel that I've fashioned into a seat cover for my 'B because the driver's seat is thrashed. So, my car is truly a Mickey Mouse car.... it goes great with my employer.... heh

73Midget

I had my 73 Midget in the driveway two weeks ago and two 10 year olds drove by on their bicycles and said "that looks like a car we could drive" and started laughing. I don't mind, I have always been quite fond of these "street legal go-carts".