• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

German Engineering

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Just had a ride in a friends '05 GT3...they really will do 0-60 in 4 seconds if the road is smooth enough....and 100 follows very quickly. Going to make it difficult to go back to restoring a LBC. But then again, at my age the system couldn't handle a steady diet of that kind of performance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Alec:
New-ish Porsche model.
A fellow brings his street GT3 to some of our track days....faster than most pure race cars including racing Porsches.
It's one of those cars that, if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it!

911-GT3-at-the-Porsche-Owners-Club-meet-pic-23-7307072.jpg

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
Alec:
It's one of those cars that, if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I could'nt afford the insurance if the car was free /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'm with Bas. I couldn't afford the insurance. But I would certainly take the little 914 in the background, if it were free.

V

vagt6

What is it, $90,000 for the GT3? Maybe more.

My first house cost $50,000, and I could live in it!

Sheesh . . .

usasma

Jedi Trainee
100k (US$) for the GT3 and 200k for the GT2! Hmmmm, let's see....I could sell our house for a GT3 - but then where would I garage it? Then, I'd have to sell the wife's business to afford the insurance! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Aeronca,
thank you for that, one of the better German cars, I rather feel that there is as much hype as substance to some of the other German marques. It, also, by exclusive car comparison, not overly expensive, not that I am any where near the league of those. Probably a nice rival is the new V8 Vantage Aston Martin. They too are getting cheaper, Β£80 to 90,000 ish. Years ago an Aston would be getting in the Β£150,000 plus range.

Alec
P.S. to explain my ignorance, I rarely look at anything less than 30 years old, Astons and some Jaguars excepted.

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
I owned an '86 Porsche for a short time, and asided from the aluminum block (cracked), I really appreciated the performance and general quality of the car. I know the 944 is a different beast altogether, but there is a distinct feel to a German car that is instantly noticed behind the wheel. Having said that, there are many other cars in that price range that I would consider...... I did just buy an '89 Audi 100 as a daily driver and as little as I paid for the car, the German quality is felt, even at the low end of the spectrum. The new Porsche models are gorgeous and if you have the cash (don't sell your house for one!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif) probably worth the price.

Brian

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I had a 70 Porsche 911T a couple years ago. Fun car, and well ahead of its time in ergonomics and comfort. With most German cars, though, there were some peculiar designs that were weak links, such as the throttle linkage, which in my car's case couldn't be adjusted to provide wide-open-throttle and not risk the linkage coming apart under the car. (Stupid adjustable ball and socket.)

By the way, there's a great story in this month's Automobile Magazine on the problem most German manufacturers are having right now. In a survey of the 33 brands sold in Germany, Mercedes came in 32 in quality! VW was not really any better (no surprise.) Porsche and BMW were better, but nowhere close to Honda and Toyota.

The amount of computer-based technology has really hurt the Germans in terms of quality. It's not a question of build-quality, it's a problem with design deficiencies.