• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Gearbox/clutch problem - again

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Correction. The grinding noise in reverse was not a graunch but a rubbing sound like metal on metal. It went away in a few seconds.

D

Deleted member 8987

umm...no.

And yes.

So, this grinding noise that was reported to have occurred whilst moving with foot off the clutch now seems to be occurring only when engaging first gear?
First gear crunch is a regular complaint of Alfa owners.

But, the good news is you are going to have to pull the trans to have the gears and synchros fixed, and you can have the clutch checked at the same time.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
At one time, it would not shift into any gear from dead stop without graunch. Now only first and reverse when cold. After a while, I can get it into first gear if I hit second gear first -this is normal on these cars. Probably the same for fifth and reverse.
I have no idea what oil is in the gearbox. I intend to change fluid to Redline as recommended.
Slight (very) noise with foot off clutch. Goes away when pedal is depressed. Throwout bearing?
Rubbing noise was in reverse only - and only the first time from the garage. No noises at all in forward gears. That's the baffling thing about this - the intermittent nature. It shifted perfectly on the ride home from the gas station.

D

Deleted member 8987

At one time, it would not shift into any gear from dead stop without graunch. Now only first and reverse when cold. After a while, I can get it into first gear if I hit second gear first -this is normal on these cars. Probably the same for fifth and reverse.
I have no idea what oil is in the gearbox. I intend to change fluid to Redline as recommended.
Slight (very) noise with foot off clutch. Goes away when pedal is depressed. Throwout bearing?
Rubbing noise was in reverse only - and only the first time from the garage. No noises at all in forward gears. That's the baffling thing about this - the intermittent nature. It shifted perfectly on the ride home from the gas station.

Ah. More information.
Slight noise in neutral with foot off the clutch is either A) T/O bearing dragging (and shot) or B) trans input or layshaft bearings shot.

So, you need a trans rebuild (noisy bearing will only be masked by different/heavier trans oil) and maybe (probably) clutch, T/O, pilot and flywheel surface.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Box needs to be remove and the issue will become apparent to a competent wrench.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Took both cars out today between raindrops. Alfa ran perfectly. Started right up in reverse with clutch down, backed out of garage and off I went. Go figure. TR6 started right up, backed out of downstairs garage, across the lawn and out to the street. Ran fine except for a lot of rattles, banging and clunking on the rough roads we have here in town. I'll have to have that checked out. I did have the top up and that makes a lot of rattles. Takes at least 2 people to get top back up and latched so I leave it up. If I didn't drive the car in the fall and early winter, I would just leave it down all the time but I'd be afraid of getting caught in one of the numerous downpours we're now getting - not for me, but the car.