• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Forced update

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I have the newer Fedora 32 in one laptop and like it. Found out it was out for download and tried it, nicely improved over previous versions. Looks like their trying to win over Windows users. Just my opinion but I think the Mint versions are the easiest Linux versions for Windows users to start with. PJ

Just corrected a wrong key strike, I hit a 5 instead of a 2! 32 not 35!

Last edited:
OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Mint is the Linux that I started with and I like it well enough I got Fedora a few years ago and have been using it. I don't mind going back to Mint for now, I also don't mind getting rid of Windows.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I've tried various Linux versions over the years. As long as I was just web browsing or using web-based email (gmail), really no problems. But printer drivers, video card drivers, photo editing apps, cross-platform file compatibility, and "designed for Windows" apps like our ResourceMate database - all drove me nuts trying to run under Linux, with or w/o Wine. Then with dual boot, having to switch back and forth from Windows apps to Linux apps was a headache.

What do you guys use your Fedora, Mint, Ubuntu, etc. for?

Thanks.
Tom M.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I had Mint 18, MATE for a couple of years and it did have a few items missing. Old disk got questionable so I got a new one and installed Mint 19, Cinnamon and have had no problems, drivers included. Actually I like it a lot better and it has more "features." I do the usual email and web browsing, spreadsheets and word processing. As you said, no problems. I am a retired programmer/analyst/consultant and I can't just walk away. I do a lot of program development but now it is all Java so it doesn't matter what the OS, Linux, Windows, Mac. I wrote the software for a local food pantry that uses Macs and support it from here on Linux. Thinking of adding another pantry when I have the time to convert all their existing data. I maintain some web pages using the same IDE as for Java development. There are a couple of apps that I miss from Windows but I can't even remember now what they are. I guess I really don't miss it that much. It is still on the flaky disk with Linux 18 so I can get to it.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
What do you guys use your Fedora, Mint, Ubuntu, etc. for?
I used Fedora versions 15-17.It has a real-time kernel you can install for low latency audio. My main interest was guitar effects. The quality of the effects wasn't on par with offering on the Windows platform. At that time, you couldn't update the OS which I found cumbersome. I'm on Mint 19.3 now. I use it for internet things, Dark Table for RAW photo editing, Gimp for photos after RAW conversion.Those last 2 programs work really well and have a lot of tutorial videos. My main beef with Linux apps is the "good enough for what I need" mentality. Not very polished, no help files.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks gents. Back when I tried it, I felt pretty much the same. "Not quite ready for prime time" - when I needed a driver for a video card, I actually got a call from a Linux guru in Denmark, who told me where to find the driver (which wasn't public yet). Thank heaven! It installed after some tweaking, but then said "not compatible with current hardware". That happened a couple of times, so I figured - well, Linux is interesting, but for us mere mortals ...

Tom M.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Been using the Red Hat Linux versions since they released V 6.0 in '99. Started building servers for local businesses with their v. 7.0 Server OS. For my personal machines it's the open source versions; CentOS. I've loaded the various Mint and Fedora "flavors" on some laptops, gives 'em a "second life" in most cases. Windows is fine for workstations, most folks now have familiarity with it. Last server I built with the MS O/S was a Windows NT Server version, can't recall when.

The machines I use for Web, e-mail, etc. are CEntOS and same as Greg I use GIMP for photos. Open Office or Office Libre for docs, PDF files, spreadsheets, etc. I s'pose I've been using it long enough to know how to tweak it to do what it needs to do. The Enterprise versions can be built to suit about any needed task. This current box is an i7 Intel on a Sun Micro board running CEntOS 7, a 1Tb drive and 32M RAM. Fast and versatile.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Got a forced update from my friends at Microsoft - their new browser Edge "running the Chrome platform" First on the laptop, this abomination took up the entire screen and could not be deleted. Apparently there's no way to disable it without causing bodily harm to your computer. . And - just a few minutes ago, it took over my desktop for a while and I lost my internet connection to boot. I shut the &%#@ thing off and restarted and it's back to its old self. Google should sue for interference.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Got a forced update from my friends at Microsoft - their new browser Edge "running the Chrome platform" First on the laptop, this abomination took up the entire screen and could not be deleted. Apparently there's no way to disable it without causing bodily harm to your computer. . And - just a few minutes ago, it took over my desktop for a while and I lost my internet connection to boot. I shut the &%#@ thing off and restarted and it's back to its old self. Google should sue for interference.

Paul - if you desperately need to remove Edge: click Start, then when the program list pops up, go to Microsoft Edge. Right click and choose uninstall.

PM me if you have problems.
Tom M.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
As long as it stays quiet and minds its own business I'll let it stay. BTW - there's no uninstall when I right click - just Delete.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I just minimized Chrome and there was the-full screen Edge window. I closed it by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner, and the icon retreated to the taskbar. I right-clicked on that and removed it from the taskbar and it retreated to the set icons on the screen. I right clicked on that, and clicked on "delete" to dispose of the icon. To uninstall it, one has to go to the Control Panel, All Control Panel Items, Programs and Features. It can be uninstalled there. So far, I've left it to see if it behaves itself. Some websites seem to require that one use certain browsers.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
John T said:
Some websites seem to require that one use certain browsers.

Particularly some Municipal government ones.