• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Doc and Mitts in HS shelter

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Doc- How do you think Peter O'Knight did?
So close to the water it wouldn't surprise me to hear it was covered by water.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
There are HUNDREDS of utility service trucks here from all over. Amazing to see the willingness to pitch in. The local utility (TECO) would have been overwhelmed otherwise.

I understand the local utility companies (Pittsburgh) sent their crews to Florida to help. I think that is great, and understand their sacrifices; I'm guessing they will be away from home a few weeks. When we lose power, we try to bring the utility crews some cookies or similar. (I'm guessing CAB would not be allowed... much less it would be WARM and CHEAP-A.. :smile:)

Their jobs are difficult, and they work in the worst of conditions. Many folks holler at them - as if they had anything to do with the coincident nature of the tree and the power line!!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
There are HUNDREDS of utility service trucks here from all over. Amazing to see the willingness to pitch in. The local utility (TECO) would have been overwhelmed otherwise.

All the utility companies have reciprocal agreements - that said, I can't say enough about the crews. When Charlie Francis and Jean pulled through in 2004 they crews slept in their trucks and just pitched in - seeing mall parking lots as staging areas was amazing! Everyone stood by the side of the road and cheered as they left town - and, as we were leaving a cruise and driving out of New York City a day ahead of Irene - we watched the trucks heading towards the city and got choked up knowing where they were heading and why.

A crew from Toronto left a couple days ago too - so truly international.

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Glad to hear all is well. Thought of you a lot during the worst of it.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
They sent a crew from our area as well.

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
Day 5, still no power. However, some of the surrounding developments are seeing a smattering of power returns.

Brother-in-law has a place in Collier County. Has had power since 18 hours post hurricane. Just so happens that the mayor is his neighbor! What a coincidence.

Trust me, I have nothing but praise for the first responders and utility workers. I spoke with a deputy sheriff at a restaurant last evening. They are working 16 on, 8 off, primarily to control looting. Local fire department personnel are out cutting trees that are blocking roadways. I gave them a case of Gatorade that I had in the house. I apologized for it being warm, and they laughed.

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
All friends, relatives and ex-relatives in Coral Springs, Jacksonville and Lakeland came through with little damage and minor power outages. Granddaughter in the Navy is on the USS Iwo Jima doing support work in Key West. All in all, very fortunate.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
One more thing. The kennel where my son boarded his cat Gretzky during the storm did not charge him one cent for the 3 days he was there. Just trying to help. He will make a donation to the shelter. Except for some downed trees and limbs, there was no real damage to his property or his cars, safely stored in garages. Now it looks early on that Hurricane Jose may go out to sea and hit - Connecticut. Shades of 1938 if it happens. I can't wait.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Connecticut? yikes!

https://www.weather.gov/okx/1938HurricaneHome

WeatherHurricane-e1335668736196.jpg

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Just got our power back late this afternoon.

Georgia sent a lot of crews to Florida and other states are helping out in Georgia. I have seen trucks from Ohio down our road. Someone said they spotted some Californian trucks. Big problem was they ran out of poles and transformers.
I know they are working long hours they were checking the lines along here at 11.30pm! last night.

Doing a great job under a lot of pressure and very long hours.

David

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
Day 6 - Nothing. I have seen crews from MA, PA, OH. We had a thunderstorm pass through Thursday night. Added enough water to take us to Day 1 level. Not good.

IMG_0320.jpg

This is turning on to our street. I am about six houses beyond the clutter.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Up here the power has been restored to most places. Still a couple grocery stores shut down. The crews staged at the State Fairgrounds, less than a mile from the hovel. They declined CAB's but took bottled water.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Up here the power has been restored to most places. Still a couple grocery stores shut down. The crews staged at the State Fairgrounds, less than a mile from the hovel. They declined CAB's but took bottled water.

When it was posted here that Budweiser had stopped beer production to can water, someone remarked; "what's the difference?"

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
When it was posted here that Budweiser had stopped beer production to can water, someone remarked; "what's the difference?"

Yup. The Canadian :devilgrin:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

When we were helping after Katrina we halped a guy get his truck our of the ditch - we offered him a CAB and he was almost in tears because he wanted one so very badly - having spent hours trying to get this truck out of Mississippi mud - but was still on duty and couldn't.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
JP!! That's when you give him a small cooler with dry ice and a six pack! For later.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
I know that there is something significant about the 7th day, but in our case it is that we have power! Thank you to all of the forces that made this happen.

I shut off the main breaker while the power was down, then switched off all of the 220 breakers so that when power was restored, I did not pound everything at once. Power returned around noon today, and I slowly brought everything on line. All systems look good.

Not sure what a CAB is, but if it is an adult beverage, I am about to partake in that activity after a very much needed shower.

Total damage is well below the hurricane coverage deductible, and we did not trigger flood insurance coverage.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Glad to hear you're back to having to pay "Florida Flicker-n-Flash", John!

A CAB is a Cheap-Arse Beer, BTW. :wink: Hope you can enjoy a cold one!

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
Thanks Doc. Ah, CAB...Think Iron City, POC, Black Label, Kohler's....